Notary Rotary
How would you handle this..long
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Serina/VT on 9/3/06 9:12am
Msg #143210

I was contacted to do a loan signing on a wedsnesday, overnight doc's to me, from a title company I've done quite a lot of work for. Doc's arrived Friday for a Monday appt @ 1 pm eastern. Contacted borrowers and asked my usual if they had valid picture ID. One didn't. Called back title, who spoke with borrowers, they couldn't get ID until Thursday morning. No problem signing rescheduled for Thursday @ 1pm. New set of doc's arrive Tuesday. Leave for appt at 12:15 pm Thursday for 1 pm appt. Arrive, begin signing etc. Come to the RTC and notice it has wrong dates on it. No problem, change dates, initial etc etc. Complete signing. Go home, see a fedex package on the doorstep. Lo and behold its the package for the 1 pm closing, delivered by fedex at 12:45 pm . Call Title company, get voicemail, email title company. No response before close of business Thursday.

Here's the problem, family has a vacation scheduled to CANANDA and we left early friday morning. Checked my messages from the hotel room that evening (Friday) and there was a message from title saying I had used the wrong set of doc's and to please call. I call them 1st thing Monday morning and ask if they want me to go back to borrowers with the new set of doc's. I also explain I had no Idea they had new doc's in the mail for me to use until I came home and found the fedex. Title says, lets see if the mortgage co will accept the docs, I'll let you know. A week goes by and I call title, get voice mail, and no return call. SO I decide to call borrowers. They inform me title had another notary come to resign the whole package!

I've been paid for all my signings from this company except this one. I offered to return and they chose to have someone else go. I feel I should be paid, since they sent a package to me after the initial appt date and before the rescheduled one. I don't feel its my responsibilty to proofread their documents for dates.

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

Reply by VERONICA DESCHANEAU on 9/3/06 7:21pm
Msg #143274

It sounds like someone dropped the ball and possibly forgot to give you heads up that you would be getting new docs on the day of the signing. If you put good faith effort into trying to contact Title Company while at the signing table, to no avail, then continue on with the closing, you should be compensated.

It is one of those “dammed if you do; dammed if you don’t” things. They know they made the error, but think, “why not just blame it on the signing agent…then we won’t have to pay…tee hee hee”.

I would certainly be trying to collect on that one.

Reply by AAA Ohio Mobile Notary - Mary on 9/3/06 9:34pm
Msg #143283

You should be paid for the first signing. It was they Failure of the title company to inform you about the situation of doc being incorrect.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 9/4/06 7:14am
Msg #143305

Remind them you performed as instructed and on the terms you agreed to. You have no financial interest in the outcome of the loan process. You are a neutral 3rd party. You were hired by them to perform notorial services and handle the documents you were given.
If you agreed to be paid only if the loan you had at the table is funded, that is a different story.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.