Notary Rotary
I Feel lost after 3yrs in the loan signing business and stil
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Kizze on 9/20/06 5:15am
Msg #147145

I don't know what to do anymore other than sell my soul to the devil because I've been in the loan signing business for 3 yrs and i get a few calls here and there. I feel that I have that I have taken all the neccessary steps be in this business sucessufully. I've signed up with many agencies, nna, went to companies handed out my cards and flyers, sent out email advertisments, word of mouth.

I can't quite understand the whole ordeal. Do you have to have a in. I'm now studing to get my real estate sales license so maybe both of those will be a plus but man I could really use all the money that just loan signing could bring. I am so professional. I have my palm pilot, my microsoft business software were I print out my invoice and put in my work order and when I recieve my payments. Every agency I sign up with I file in alpha order, read all the policies, I makes sure I follow all procedures and go the extra mile and I'm not just saying that. It's the truth. Becuase I love customer service and I love running my own business.

So it really bothers me when I business like First American Signature who make sure they gets your check out on time wants you to print out more than 100 docs plus make a customer copy and can't pay $150. They have called me plenty of time havent had a problem with me but when I told them hey I'm printing out a lot of docs here not to mention when I ask how many you can't specify well then if it's 60 or less $125 if its 60 or more $150. And that sad cause they was calling me everyday before that convo. But they like to use a person. I had to call at the signing table to make sure things were goiing good plus several different people would call me threw out the day like I dont have other things or signings. Then the next day i would have to fax back like 20 pages of this and that but Im professional and i do without complaint but they dont recognize what an assist I am there loss.

I just wish some one could tell me what i could do to get more money I have just spent a lot of money on advertising and new equip and nothing is working. I think I need a mentor.

Sorry so long but this has gotten me down, what should I do, any real, good, deep, honest, opinions?

Kizze The Mobile Notary can assist you with all notary needs. Same day appointments 24 hrs

Apt. to homes, offices, jails, nursing homes, hospitals, ect...
Kizze The Mobile Notary/Loan Signing Agent
For more info go to
www.kizzethenotary.com
[e-mail address]
Call 707-315-7203
The signature you can depend on!
Serving Solano, Napa, Contra Costa, Alameda, Sacramento, San Francisco Counties
Please forward this to anyone who you know that would know that would need or could use my services

The Signature You Can Depend On!

Ms Kizze' Harris
Mobile Notary Public/Loan Signing Agent Kizze The Notary
123 Kathy Ellen Dr #K5
Vallejo Ca 94591
[e-mail address] fax:
mobile: 707-644-0849
707-315-7203

Reply by Lee/AR on 9/20/06 7:12am
Msg #147151

This is a cyclical business. You got in during the 'boom years'. They are over. And CA has a lot of notaries/competition. Sorry to tell you, but R.E. is the same way.

Reply by Cheri Armentrout on 9/20/06 8:47am
Msg #147160

Kizze --there are more than 390 notaries in your area for companies to call upon from this site alone.
The first thing I would notice as an SS of TC is that you charge $150. and $150, in the event of a cancellation within 3-4 hours of signing...no one is going to go for that.
I (personally and imo) would take out the fees. Let them call you and you can negotiate at that point. You, in effect are saying I charge $150. take it or slam it...You know what I mean? That may have worked during the boom, but it is supply in demand now. There are more of you than loans to go around anymore.
They (SS's and TC's) will move on to the next one and find a $50.-75. notary and apparently that is what they are doing.
Also, you may want to consider joining the California NSA network...it would be a way for you to continue marketing and gain some insight to what you can expect according to the rate of competition. Stay smart, rise above it, get with cyndi_CA and get into the network.

Reply by Jersey_Boy on 9/20/06 8:59am
Msg #147163

Kizze....

I agree with Cheri. Don't show your fees in your profile, let them call you and then negotiate.

Also, you need to watch your wording. You don't "except" email documents, you "accept" them! Correct this in your profile...

AND.... whatever you do... never ever ever ever stop marketing! Best of Luck to you.

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/20/06 9:06am
Msg #147165

Re: Kizze....

Agrhhh! I hate it when I scroll down to Cheri accidently...I'm so charm ...lol

Reply by Jersey_Boy on 9/20/06 9:28am
Msg #147175

Sorry Charm... never made the connection that it was you... n/m

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/20/06 9:30am
Msg #147177

Re: Sorry Charm... never made the connection that it was you...

no problem JB, my scrolly thing moves faster than my eyeballs sometimes. It's the first name I registered with. Being a Cheryl, Cheri is the nickname I've grown up with. Charm is the first couple of letters in my first and last name.

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/20/06 9:31am
Msg #147178

you could be Jerbo....LOL.... n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/20/06 12:53pm
Msg #147249

To Charm - re: Network...RM LO call just came to me...

**Stay smart, rise above it, get with cyndi_CA and get into the network.**

To you guys who are putting together networks of NSA professionals to marketing with.

I just got the sweetest call from a FF Rev Mort LO who lives between here and Austin.

She is new to the biz and said she is in the midst of a Texas Financial Freedom LO conference /meeting/seminar and she was thrilled to be able to pass out our brochure and our website link.

THAT is what she called to tell me. And, THAT is how valuable Texas RM loan officers see a list of experienced reverse mortgage notaries in Texas

The last time that happened it was as a result of the LUBBOCK member of our network showing her stuff to a LUBBOCK reverse mortgage broker.

I don't care what the nay-sayers say....the establishment of a statewide network gets us business and the LO's feel good about passing out our cards, brochures, etc....having something GOOD to share about the closing process once the loan is out of their hands.

It was very inspiring to get the call.

Reply by DD/OR on 9/20/06 9:10am
Msg #147167

Welcome to the real world. Been there, done that. I used to be in Real Estate. I was a RE agent and studying for a brokers license. I got in it when everyone else was leaving it. 4 years Later I left it too. I got tired of being a glorified taxi driver for people just wanting a free ride to look at houses. Then you never hear from them again. I suspected that other RE agents (relatives, friends) sent their clients to have me show them houses and then went back to them for the sale. You don't get paid for driving them around, meanwhile you're spending your time and gas. Sometime you put a deal together, throw it against the wall and hope it sticks. Many time it doesn't. I always suspected my broker of stealing a client so he wouldn't have to pay me a commission. Then there's the broker you hang your license with. You have to be an unpaid desk clerk for him. Every RE agent has to do this. You have to put in a certain amount of hours every week to be on the floor and answer phones. If the broker doesn't have many agents working for him, then you have to put in more floor time. All unpaid, of course. Then you have continueing education classes once a year at the local college and it isn't cheap. Unpaid and more money out of your pocket. You have to join the Multiple Real Service and the local Real Estate Board. More money. Everyone is making money, but you. I found that you either had to have a hugh nest egg to last you for a couple years or have a husband or someone to support you. That's why so many got out of the business. Even some agents that were in the business for many years got out of it because the competition got so fierce. My solution was to have several business's going at the same time. Find out what you're good at and start your own business. Start 2 or 3. Good luck.

Reply by thnotary_NY on 9/20/06 9:25am
Msg #147174

Well said DD/OR.! I was also in RE and left for the very same reasons. Although I was forfunate in some respects, I was with a very small family office. If you were in the office you answered the phone anyway, there was no desk rental although a % was taken out of the commission check and I ended up belonging to 2 MLS on my own. Consider all the money for expenses compared to the commission. You don't get even half of the office half by the time you deduct your expenses. I figured on a 6% deal, I was lucky to get 2.

Reply by DD/OR on 9/20/06 9:46am
Msg #147184

I hear ya. I figured I made Minus $3.00 hour LOL

Reply by Poppy on 9/20/06 9:47am
Msg #147186

Kizze

Don't give up. Adjust!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result! (keep changing things until you get the result you desire)

YOU CAN DO IT!

As others have said I would change the wording of your profile. There are a few errors. Have a friend or family member look it over and think of it like a job interview. In a job interview you want to put your best foot forward it's the same as your profile.
I would also consider changing your picture. (It's beautiful) but I think you should try to have a more professional picture taken with business attire on. JMHO
Take a look at the number of hits your profile has and compare it to the calls your getting. If your hits far out-number your calls you may want to consider why and make a few changes.
(Keep in mind that especially today, many of your hits will be from us) That's one reason I don't link the two.

Gook Luck and if it's your passion don't give up.

Reply by Laurie_PA on 9/20/06 11:25am
Msg #147223

I also was in R.E. (in NY) and left. My commission would be 1 1/2% if I didn't list and 3% if it was my listing. That's assuming the Attnys didn't try to offer it up as part of negotiations (I wouldn't allow it).
As in R.E. its __% hard work and __% luck.

Reply by Dale Simmons on 9/20/06 11:57am
Msg #147227

Kizze, the competition in the market place in any venture is always a challenge. The Notary Business is no different. Also, with regard to the notary business, it is a somewhat inexpensive and a straightforward business to get into. To be successful in that venture can be accomplished and many have. Any business venture is a risk and as the market turns one must adjust. Flexibility is a key in any business. There is an old cliché; “Don’t put all your eggs in one basket”.

According to the SBA, over 50% of small businesses fail in the first year and 95% fail within the first five years. Why?

Kizze, I will ask only a couple of questions and add only one observation, as I hope it will assist you.
1. Do you have a written Business Plan?
2. What are your written (key) short term, mid term and long range goals for your business? (3, 5, 10 year)

Far be for me to advise one in their area of expertise, but I hope my short comments will give you some fuel for thought.

Only the best
D

Reply by LkArrowhd/CA on 9/20/06 12:29pm
Msg #147241

Re: Dale, very good advice and Dale I was in your home

division the other day to speak with the parent of a student, I still keep thinking that area is Murrieta and not Menifee......

Reply by Dale Simmons on 9/20/06 12:39pm
Msg #147243

Re: Dale, very good advice and Dale I was in your home

Next time you're in the area give me a call. Thanks for the kodos

Reply by Barrie Wall on 9/20/06 12:11pm
Msg #147233

The two things that were breakthroughs for me were: 1. Take the National Notary
Certified Signing Agent certification course; 2. Go to the National Notary Convention; you
will be able to bounce ideas off hundreds of other signing agents.

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/20/06 5:56pm
Msg #147311

Re: I Feel lost - Barrie

Barrie - I feel that dropping my NNA membership was a break through for me. It got me off the $50 signing service call list.

In Texas, there is zero, notta, nothing, no kind of a job which yields a profit at $50. I am sure in some of the other states, if you have three little modifications or equity loans back to back you can make a profit, but in Texas - you cannot. Seldom is there such that is doable by a notary in a bwr's home.

Reply by Linker Mobile Notary Service on 9/20/06 3:46pm
Msg #147282

Hang in there! Persistence and patience are required, and market, market, market every day!
I noticed that you have 390 notaries in your area based on the NR find a notary - that's half of what is in my area (consider yourself lucky). I've been doing this for 3 years also and have good results. I pay for advertising when I feel it is beneficial. My theory is if it's about $1/day or less to advertise I'll give it a shot. If it works, great! If not, then I don't advertise with that particular place again. You have to spend money to make money, but spend it wisely.

You have a very nice website! Make sure your website is listed on EVERYTHING you have - business cards, letterhead, brochures, emails, etc. Hand out your business cards to everyone you meet. Network with people - you might consider joining a network group for a year, like Le Tips, or BNI. Join your local chamber of commerce. Ask for referrals.

You might want to change the loan rates on your website to something like - All inclusive fees are available for loan signings depending on package and location - call for quote. Be flexible!

I hope this helps and I wish you the best.

Reply by EzkHarTX on 9/20/06 4:35pm
Msg #147294

I too am a new notary with the same feelings and thughts. reading this has helped me as well.
thanks for all the experienced notary and signing agents that take time out to respond so people like me can benefit from your wisdom.
Now all I need is work!!!:-)

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/20/06 4:41pm
Msg #147298

Ezk

Ez...there is a Texas network, you should check it out

Reply by MichiganAl on 9/20/06 4:33pm
Msg #147292

A lot of good advice here

I hope getting into R.E. helps you, but of course that's a challenging market right now as well. I can tell you that the person that got me into this was a realtor as well as a signing agent. Three or four signings a week gave him a little steady income between home sales. And he developed a lot of his signing contacts through his R.E. work.

Definitely create a business plan if you haven't already done so. What are your goals, how do you want to achieve them. Marketing isn't a one time shot, it's a steady, consistent plan.

I hate to see someone so frustrated. I hope you can turn it around.

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/20/06 8:23pm
Msg #147358

The Bottom Line

Is that you're charging too much for your services. In California there are 3 of us on every street corner. Why pay you $125 when somebody else is willing to do it for $75? You can get those fees from title companies, but good luck finding a signing service willing to consider that amount, especially when you're only willing to travel 10 miles for it.

If you want to start getting signings you need to completely rethink your business plan. You have to adjust to what the market will bear, don't expect the market to adjust to what you want. Obviously what you've been doing for the past 3 years hasn't been working.

I've been doing this for 3.5 years and don't get that much title company work. Yeah, it would be great to get $125 every time I step out the door, but I'm realistic. And by being realistic and charging accordingly I've been able to support myself full time doing this for almost 3 years. I'd much rather do 60 signings for $75 a pop than 10 signings for $125 a pop.

And honestly, if you're not willing to work for signing services and signing service fees, you might as well just cut your losses right now and get out of the business for good. Not all of us can be a BMW, some of us have to be the workhorse Hondas instead.

Reply by Kizze on 9/27/06 11:02am
Msg #148790

Re: The Bottom Line

Thanks for the replys I have put a lot of your ideas to work and I'm just trying to stay positive.

Thank you.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.