Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Is Cingular not putting calls thru to your phone?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Jason on 9/23/06 5:10pm
Msg #148124

For the past month or 2, Cingular service has gotten really spotty.

Tried to hook up w/ a signer today. Just found out he called 5x in last hour and my phone didn't ring once.

Anyone else having problems w/ their Cingular svc?

Reply by Laurie_PA on 9/23/06 5:24pm
Msg #148126

I have Verizon and I updated the towers on my phone and ever since my phone is constantly searching for a signal (tower), and its been breaking up.
Might just be my phone . . . its actually outlasted my contract by 3 years.

Does Cingular have an update? Verizon's is *228 opt. 2. Last time it didn't work but other times it was ok. Like I said might just be my phone. Just ordered a new.

Reply by cassiewi on 9/23/06 6:19pm
Msg #148128

I had a similiar problem to that for one day only a few weeks ago. It was weird. My biggest problem is that their calls always drop in this area. In Feb, when my contract is up, I'm going with Verizon. They have great service in this area. From what I hear anyway.

Reply by Laurie_PA on 9/23/06 6:44pm
Msg #148134

I've tried alot (all that I can think of) of cell services, never made it past the grace period. I'd no soon program the phone and I was bringing it back. Verizon by far is the best so far. AT&T was good in its day but now Verizon. I wish T-mobile worked in my area they have a great deal.
Also, I don't think I would buy any other phone than LG any more. I've had horrible luck w/Motorola, their accessories are ok but that's it.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 9/23/06 6:48pm
Msg #148136

Agree with LG

My last phone was an LG and my husband's phone is an LG. When I changed phones I didn't want a flip phone because the hinges wore out and broke on my last one from so much use. LG didn't have a model that was one piece (not a flip) so I got Nokia. It's ok, but not very user friendly. After having it for about 4 months now I've pretty much figured out all the options. LG is really a user-friendly phone.

Reply by Kit/CA on 9/23/06 10:14pm
Msg #148162

Re: Agree with LG

I had the same problem with flip phones, wore out the hinges in less than a month (4 times in a row) very embarrassing when talking to a client and half of the phone ends up in your lap! Then I discovered the LG VX9800-it's a side flip, but can be used as a "candy-bar" type. I love it and when opened the speaker phone is great. Also, when opened I can check email, etc. But tried to use it for yahoo maps and it maybe great if you have perfect eyesight, but the screen is too small for my eyes.

Reply by calipat on 9/23/06 6:57pm
Msg #148138

I had this problem on Wednesday morning for about 3 hours. Called cingular and they told me to take out my battery and sim card wait about 10 seconds put it back in and VOILA! it worked. I still told them I wanted credit for the day.

Reply by Linda_in_MI on 9/23/06 7:11pm
Msg #148139

I have Cingular, and the last time my service started to head south (dropping calls, a lot of static or feedback sounds while talking on the phone) I called Customer Service and they asked when the last time was that I turned off my phone. And they aren't the only carrier I have had to suggest that you turn it off for at least a minute every 24 hours so your phone can automatically receive software updates and clear out any issues. Compare it to turning off your computer to get rid of anything residing in your RAM.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 9/24/06 5:35am
Msg #148184

Linda - THANKS, I never thought of that but how logical! n/m

Reply by NCLisa on 9/23/06 8:51pm
Msg #148155

I went into Cingular about 5 weeks ago because every single call I had for several months was dropped. They told me that the signal depends on the phone, that Nokia and Motorola's have the best signal. I had an LG and they said it wasn't a good phone. I decided to buy a Blackberry, and it has as strong a signal as the Nokia or better. Not one dropped call in 2 weeks. I also used to end up on Suncom's towers all the time, haven't been stuck on Suncom once since I got the new phone.

Reply by Laurie_PA on 9/23/06 9:43pm
Msg #148158

I've had the exact opposite experience. LG has served me better in regards to signal than Motorola, Samsung etc. Nokia I have to say wasn't bad, but I'm basing that on many years ago w/AT&T.
I guess it comes down to whatever works for ya. Big Smile

Reply by DonR_NYC on 9/23/06 9:44pm
Msg #148159

Just so all are aware; Cingular is in the process of upgrading their entire network since their merger with AT&T a few years ago so that may be the problem you have. According to my account rep they started on the West Coast are are moving eastward.

I'vd had Verizon, T-Mobile, OmniPoint, etc. Cingular has given me the best service since I switched 4 years ago. And the person that mentioned about turning off the phone and removing the battery and then replace it is correct. It resets the phone for updates, etc.

Reply by Ernest__CT on 9/24/06 7:45am
Msg #148191

Yes! And I thought it was just my phone.

There are times when I have gotten the "You have a new message" tone without the phone having rung.

Does the battery have to be completely removed, or will just turning off the phone for an hour or three work as well?

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/24/06 8:56am
Msg #148199

Was just watching Lethal Weapon 3 last night...

for the762nd time... I love Joe Peschi's rant about cell phones...

It's 100% unrepeatable and 100% true !!!

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 9/24/06 10:07am
Msg #148209

I was told by a tech at Sprint that it is a good idea......

to take your phone in once in a while to upgrade the programming.
Also told me that if you use phone a lot, (I am over 4K minutes /month)
they can wear out over time. I recently upgraded to a new phone,
Sanyo Katana, (like the Razr, but
much better. Buttons are separated and EZ to dial.
Cost was not much after rebate and it is a great phone.
Has bluetooth, speaker and a headset jack.
EZ to use and works great. Bought it at Costco at the sprint kiosk.
About $25 cheaper than the Sprint store.
I think that other services also carry the phone.

Reply by Jason on 9/25/06 11:08am
Msg #148354

THX EVERYONE!

I did all the tricks you suggested except buy a new phone. My Nokia is fairly new so I want to give it a chance.

I bet the "upgrade" is responsible for some of the dropped calls. Thx for that info.

Thx for all your help!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.