Msg #143265

Is certification by the nna

really that important?

Reply by sandi_CA on 9/3/06 5:40pm
Msg #143267

In my humble opinion....NO!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/3/06 6:03pm
Msg #143269

No. As a signing service those certifications mean little to me. I ignore them. I see too many certified signing agents asking really basic questions on this board and others. So, I don't set store by those certifications.

Reply by Lynn Lowry on 9/3/06 7:51pm
Msg #143278

I believe that it is . . .

although I am aware that many on this discussion board don't think so. I believe the main reason that others don't like the NNA is that they churn out signing agents and have flooded many markets.

I am certified by them, and the logo makes me stand out; I get a great deal of business from them.

Reply by Pamela on 9/3/06 10:25pm
Msg #143286

Lynn, Re: I believe that it is . . .

Lynn,

I agree.

Many of the signing companies will ask if someone is NNA certified.
They also request a copy of the NNA certification (via fax or mail).

Pam

Reply by KBLedgard_CA on 9/3/06 11:33pm
Msg #143293

Re: Lynn, Re: I believe that it is . . .

Pam, just because someone is certified by the NNA doesn't necessarily mean they will do a better job than someone isn't. It just means that someone was able to pass a given test. Remember that our jobs (in most states at least) is to notarize some documents and verify/establish identity based on state law. People forget that we are notaries first and foremost.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/4/06 12:10am
Msg #143294

Re: Lynn, Re: I believe that it is . . .

Kyle is right. I passed the NNA cert test on a whim...thinking I needed to be part of the NNA system and network.

Since then (2 yrs ago) I have had all my SS referrals from Notary Rotary and ONE (1) from the NNA.

Reply by Pamela on 9/4/06 12:19am
Msg #143295

KBLedgard,

I agree 100 percent. I was replying that if someone is
brand new and lack experience, it is helpful to have the
NNA certificate. Often times, on the signing agencies'
applications, it will ask if you are NNA certified.

On the otherhand, title and escrow companies (thus far),
have never asked me if I was certified nor requested
proof of certification.

Pam

Reply by Lynn Lowry on 9/4/06 8:43am
Msg #143311

Re: I believe that it is . . .

I wanted to learn as much as I could before I began this business. I read every post on both NR and the other board for four months and became certified by the Signing Registry, 123N and NNA.

I took the courses for the first two, and passed the NNA certification test without taking theirs. I learned a great deal from both the SR and 123N courses and found answering the questions in the back of the 123N book to be invaluable in applying what I learned before I hit the street.

Reply by NCLisa on 9/4/06 12:19pm
Msg #143340

Re: I believe that it is . . .

I used to get a little business from the NNA, but now most of my business comes from 2 other websites and marketing. I can honestly say that the companies that did find me on the NNA site are the ones that I have the most trouble with and pay the lowest fees.

I do have years of years of experience doing this though, so my being certified means very little to most companies, it is the long term experience they are looking for. I also think that many of the "older companies" have learned that certification doesn't mean much, you can pass the test and still be totally clueless.

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/3/06 7:55pm
Msg #143279

Re: Is certification by the nna - No.

Nearly three years. One company has mentioned it.

Reply by Beth/MD on 9/3/06 10:07pm
Msg #143284

What's really important is

a signing agent who knows her/his job. There are many that are not NNA certified that are really good at their job. I know a few who are certified that post on this and other boards that seem to be really in need of a few classes in basic notarizations.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/3/06 10:44pm
Msg #143290

Re: What's really important is

You are so right Beth. I have never, in 6 years, been asked if I am NNA certified. I would have to tell them I'm not.
In my signing service I use a lot of notaries who are not certified but who know their jobs and do flawless signings.

Experience and meticulousness are what count.
If being certified by the NNA makes some signing agents feel more confident, then that is fine. The individual has to decide themselves whether being certified by the NNA is beneficial to them or not.

Reply by Ndwa on 9/4/06 2:06am
Msg #143297

Re: What's really important is

All depend on what one's background and how much research is done prior to entering the business. It took me a good month to research and study this business. I was lucky to have found NotRot before giving away my money to NNA, books, or anything pertain to signing. I knew right from the ghetto that I only need to know my notary laws, everything else was relevant to my real estate background.

I'm not certified and never had been asked by any companies in the past 2+ years doing signing. IMO, a certification is like cosmetic.

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/4/06 4:28am
Msg #143301

Re: Is certification by the nna - No.

I misspoke.

After I wrote my post, and then read the others in this thread, and now I remember the signing service drill almost always asks if you hold a certification.

However, only one signing service who ever called me out of the blue asked me if I was certified.

It has been a long time since I signed up with a signing service, and I forgot that this was the routine.

Reply by LawrenceOK on 9/4/06 10:44am
Msg #143322

Re: Take My Certification Course

Notaries, Do you need certification to get the good assignments. Then you need to take the course offered by LG's Loan Signing Certifications. You pay $29.95 annually and you will receive a pretty little certificate (suitable for hanging) that confirms that you have passed my course. No test required.

Reply by Signing_Doc on 9/4/06 10:51am
Msg #143323

Re: Take My Certification Course (advertisement)

This unpaid for advertisement on NotaryRotary was brought to you by LawrenceOK...who IMHO should NOT be advertising on Harry's website for HIS product line. If you wish to direct people to your website, go for it....however, please don't use NotRot to advertise YOUR product. It is tacky...rude...and probably not allowed. Again, this is my opinion, not a legal opinion...just a gut feeling.

"Doc"

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/4/06 10:52am
Msg #143325

Re: Take My Certification Course (advertisement)

Lawrence is being factitious.

Reply by LawrenceOK on 9/4/06 10:59am
Msg #143327

Re: Oh come on Doc-

You really took that seriously.

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/4/06 10:51am
Msg #143324

Re: Take My Certification Course - I do, I do!!!!

I want the LG Certification!

Lawrence, if I send my $29.95 via paypal.com, can I get my certficiate TODAY?

Reply by LawrenceOK on 9/4/06 10:55am
Msg #143326

Re: Take My Certification Course - I do, I do!!!!

Sorry Brenda, cash only and I'll send the certificate when I get around to it.

Reply by Signing_Doc on 9/4/06 11:01am
Msg #143328

Round Tuit's on sale here for $19.95....get them while

they're hot!!!....Did you ever say (LawrenceOK?)...that you would do something...."when you get a round tuit?" WELL.....today...and today only....YOU (yes you little lady)...can get a jen you ine...ROUND TUIT...

Made of the finest 5K gold, you will be PROUD to have this one of a kind ROUND TUIT sent postpaid to you for only 3 easy payments of $19.95......BUT WAIT!!!!....today...and today only, if you respond within the next 60 seconds...you will receive TWO (2) NOT ONE BUT TWO Round Tuits sent postpaid for the price of one....CALL ME CRAZY.....(You're crazy)....but it's TRUE! (It's t-woo it's t-woo)...but don't wait...operators are standing by (we don't give them chairs)...call NOW!!!!!

Reply by LawrenceOK on 9/4/06 11:06am
Msg #143329

Re: Round Tuit's on sale here for $19.95....get them while

I'll take TOO! please.

Reply by Signing_Doc on 9/4/06 11:14am
Msg #143330

Re: Round Tuit's on sale here for $19.95....get them while

I'm sorry...we've sold out of our initial offering...the response was OVERWHELMING...however, we will add your name to our list for the NEXT shipment....in the meantime...would you be interested in some swampland in Alabama (currently being shown on TV with Erik Estrada)...or perhaps our newest product line...Certification as a Notary Signing Agent. This is the FASTEST growing industry in the nation. MAKE THOUSANDS of dollars your first month and SO SIMPLE...even a caveman can do it....(apologize to any cavemen out there reading this, just kidding!!!)

Call NOW....that's NOW....N.otaries O.verstocked W.hy? Call 1-800-skru-nna...that's 1-800...skru nna...CALL NOW!!!

(this offer not valid in 48 out of the 50 continental United States, Puerto Rico or Virgin Islands)

Reply by LawrenceOK on 9/4/06 11:52am
Msg #143332

Re: No Swamp Land..Just Bridges EOT n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/4/06 12:07pm
Msg #143337

Re: No Swamp Land..Just Bridges EOT

Thanks, Lawrence!

I have remitted my payment via email.

The certificate looks great. I really appreciate it.

My rates just went up. Especially for the lady who needs work this afternoon and was supposed to call me this morning with the time/place. Grrrr. In fact, at this point, morning has passed and I feel if I am busy later when she calls, she'll need to find another notary.

I think the travel fee put her off. Boy, when she finds out I just went up $5 higher due to my LG Certification, she'll be A-N-G-R-Y. LOL

Disclaimer: Parts of this post may be whimsical. That I am going to busy later is NOT, inconsiderate lady.

Reply by MasterCloser on 9/4/06 12:46pm
Msg #143345

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!!! n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/4/06 12:52pm
Msg #143347

Spanish Inquisition??? Meaning???? n/m

Reply by Signing_Doc on 9/4/06 12:56pm
Msg #143348

Re: Spanish Inquisition??? Meaning????

The Rack...was in fashion....The Plagues were my passion....each day held a new joy in store...(Was ANYBODY...Happy!!???)...I see Bonaparte...a mean one.....if every....I've seen one...
the years may have flown....but the memories...stay.....and that era of pain....long before...novacaine....he he he he...."Those were the Good Old Dayss".....(on my knees)..."I'd walk a million miles or more......for some of the gore....of the good........old.....daysssssss". (Mr Applegate in Damn Yankees)

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 9/4/06 1:40pm
Msg #143352

Poke him with the soft cushions. n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/4/06 3:30pm
Msg #143364

Confess! Confess! Confess! Biggles n/m

Reply by Signing_Doc on 9/4/06 4:37pm
Msg #143375

Re: Confess! Confess! Confess...it's not me man i didn't do

it

Reply by Ernest__CT on 9/4/06 6:40am
Msg #143303

In one instance, ...

... it was nearly a liability! One signing service told me that they had found that National Notary Association-Certified Notary Signing Agents felt that they deserved more money because they were certified. I hastily explained that I'd taken the exam without buying the NNA study guide, and that I'd taken the exam as a way of testing my own knowledge. I did not raise my rates after becoming Certified, and I won't when I take other exams (if ever I do).

In case it has not been pointed out ad nauseum, the NNA's Certification Exam has some questions that apply to California but not necessarily to your state! Your answer may be "wrong" but correct for your state.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 9/4/06 7:07am
Msg #143304

Re: In one instance, ...

I have been doing this for 8 yrs. I am not certified. I did, however buy the Signing Reistry's Training guide and take the test this summer. I am now a Registered Signing Agent (RSA). a designation I put on my marketing. I feel it gives reassurance to anyone considering my services that my knowlege has been tested. I feel it has leverage in combination with my experience. That is Key...experience. It also shows I monitor myself in my notorial skills. Heaven knows, the State of Wisconsin does not do that!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/4/06 8:13am
Msg #143306

Re: In one instance, ...

Stamper
Now the RSA does mean something! I know if I find a signging agent at the SR site that they have done at least 10 (or is it 12?)signings, as the profile isn't available until they have proven so many signings. The SR training guide is the best I have come across. I do give preference to those I find at the SR.

Reply by cassiewi on 9/4/06 2:13pm
Msg #143357

I think I'll do that

Now that I've been doing this for a year, it amazes me that we have no testing. It was much more complicated than I expected at first. It is entirely too easy to become a notary here, fill out your application, send in your $ and there you go. I took the NNA's training and certification, but it didn't prepare me the way it should have. I am now getting borrowers who ask about this job and I tell them they really need to think about it, and to come here and read the board. I don't regret becoming a notary, but if I had read this board and Brenda's book before becoming one, I would have been much more prepared and enlightened.

Reply by BobRogers_FL on 9/4/06 8:57am
Msg #143313

When first starting out, you may find it helps to build confidence, however it certainly is not worth the cost of renewing. I stand by the concept that once certified you are ALWAYS certified. All you have to do is keep up with the changing industry and the Notary Laws of your State.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/4/06 5:31pm
Msg #143405

I'm with you, Bob. For someone who is brand spanking new, a certification might set them apart from someone else who has zero experience, but that's about it. When I was a totally green newbie, I passed the NNA certification exam (in the early days when they were new at it, too...) with high scores, after spending lots of time really studying the material, but had not yet done a single signing.

I later chose to not fork over more money to the NNA to retain their official "Certified" status when I let my membership expire. No one is going to convince me (or likely believe...) that I was better qualified as a "Certified NSA" back then, than I am now several years later with way more than 1,000 signings under my belt, but no official NNA certification!

HOWEVER, having said that, I'm a better SA now than I would have been had I not studied as much as I did in the beginning - and then kept at it. There are lots of training programs available - some better than others. (At least one good one has been mentioned here... ) I do recommend that you get as much training (on an ongoing basis - not just starting out) as you can manage, not just to become certified, but to become a better SA. That is what will be really worth it in the long run. These days more than ever, getting established as a signing agent is NOT a short term effort. hth

Reply by LkArrowhd/CA on 9/4/06 5:03pm
Msg #143386

Re: Is certification by the nna....it's poppy cock-unless n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.