Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by BarbaraL_CA on 9/27/06 5:45pm
Msg #148916

NNA's response to "Show Me"...

Here is the email I sent to the NNA:
"From: [e-mail address] [mailto:[e-mail address]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 1:57 PM
To: [e-mail address]
Subject: Notary Signing Agent Technical Question (Members Only)

Can you quote or point me to where this information states that it is federally mandated? I've read the GLB Act and see nothing relating to this. Thank you.

This mandate is spelled out in the Gramm-Leach Bliley Financial Services Modernization Act and applicable Interagency Guidelines."

---------------------------------
Here is their reply:
"Thank you for your inquiry. The Act itself does not address Notaries directly. The federal regulators over the lending industry determine how the act affects the lenders and advised the lenders that they must insure the independent service providers (including NSAs) must be properly screened and trained to maintain security of the consumer's information. We do not have a link available to the regulating agency.

M. Prescott
Information Services Department
National Notary Association
9350 De Soto Avenue
P O Box 2402
Chatsworth, CA 91313-2402
Ph: 1-888-876-0827
Fax: 1-818-700-0422
[e-mail address]"

Reply by Lisa Prestegard on 9/27/06 5:58pm
Msg #148917

Sounds like the NNA is doing the "Hokey Pokey"...

give you a pretty little song, hoping you ignore the content of their message.
Thanks for the post!

Reply by Lee/AR on 9/27/06 6:09pm
Msg #148919

I thought it sounded like "Pop goes the weasel" n/m

Reply by John_NorCal on 9/27/06 6:29pm
Msg #148930

I'd rather see those Weasels go Pop! n/m

Reply by Harry [NR] on 9/27/06 6:56pm
Msg #148935

What federal regulators? And how, exactly, are they suggesting that UPS, FedEx and DHL drivers and handlers be properly screened? Notaries are commissioned by their states and, as has been previously pointed-out, some states perform thorough background checks.

It would seem to me that the greater risk would rest with other agents - people whose entire purpose does not hinge on honesty, integrity, trust and attention to detail. Imagine how easy it would be for an unscrupulous or criminal employee of a document courier to start snatching identities.

Wait! That's it! A new training and certification program for document couriers! For $199 we will explain to you how to properly care for mortgage documents (with tangential reference to the GLBA), health care documents (with tangential reference to HIPAA), ad nauseum. AND, we will throw-in a $6 background check! Somebody, take this and run with it. You could make millions.

In the absence of true, verifiable legal necessity, this still sounds like a play out of the Microsoft or Intel playbooks. The way the communications read, it's also beginning to sound like actionable anti-competitive behavior.

Harry
Notary Rotary

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/27/06 6:59pm
Msg #148936

I love what you're talking Harry!

NOTARIES take note and understand you are being hornswaggled. (Is hornswaggle a word?)

Reply by Signing_Doc on 9/27/06 7:07pm
Msg #148938

"Is horswaggle a word"....ONLY IN TEXAS Brenda-le n/m

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 9/27/06 7:12pm
Msg #148940

I believe the word is hornswoggled - definition...

horn·swog·gle (hôrnswgl)
tr.v. horn·swog·gled, horn·swog·gling, horn·swog·gles Chiefly Northern & Western U.S.
To bamboozle; deceive.

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/27/06 7:30pm
Msg #148946

Re: I believe the word is hornswoggled - definition...

Yes - and I meant the OTHER place was doing the deceiving...not Harry. I was close on the hornswoggle.

Being right makes me feel entitled.

Tonight, I might watch a controversial news program because I want to, not because someone suggests I do it. I might form opinions without others telling me how to think or bashing me because I think differently than they do.

But, first a shower and my jammies.

It was a long day and my toes and feet just want to be clean and naked. As a special treat, I think I will let them stay unfettered by clothes, jewelry, hair products, or makeup the rest of the night. I suggest you all try it. It will do wonders for your mood.

I once knew a man who used to say "When the communists get here and take over, they won't let do stuff you like to do."

So, what does all that have to do with back ground checks??? I don't know...but I feel sure there is a direct correlation.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 9/27/06 8:14pm
Msg #148957

You had better watch all that there relaxin stuff, you just

might get used to it. Best wishes!

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 9/27/06 7:09pm
Msg #148939

LOL Harry... as for the federal regulators...

I would assume they are referring to Bank Federal Regulators, but who knows? I just replied to their reply asking if Signing Services were required to undergo the same scrutiny (if not, should be). That'll be an interesting response.

Reply by LIZ/VA on 9/27/06 7:34pm
Msg #148947

Re: LOL Harry... as for the federal regulators...

Think they are barking up the wrong tree. How about really going after signing agencies and even the title companies. (I have been stiffed by both, Big Time!) Got to vent 8o about SOX" again.

Reply by Becca_FL on 9/27/06 8:53pm
Msg #148960

Re: LOL Harry... as for the federal regulators...

Speaking of TCs...I worked for one just four years ago and guess where all the dead pkgs ended up? In a dumpster in the middle of downtown Vero Beach. There wasn't one shredder in the office. The SOB Atty.-owner and more importantly, his wife, could not see the need to purchase shredders for us. Heck, she complained about the amount of TP we used. Oh my, do I have stories to tell about that place.

Reply by Lee/AR on 9/27/06 10:12pm
Msg #148976

I agree with you, Harry.

On lots of things, but particularly this: The way the communications read, it's also beginning to sound like actionable anti-competitive behavior.

Reply by John_NorCal on 9/27/06 10:32pm
Msg #148979

I guess it's what we all figure it to be, a way for the NNA to line their pockets even more. Now as to "actionable anti-competitive behavior", seems like their should be a flock of public interest lawyers willing to pounce on these scumbags.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 9/27/06 7:54pm
Msg #148950

What continues to amaze me about the NNA is

even though they are based in California, when a California notary calls them with a question about a situation, you get bad info half the time .........

Reply by christiSocal on 9/27/06 10:25pm
Msg #148978

Only half? n/m

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 9/27/06 10:48pm
Msg #148981

Re: Only half? --I am mellow tonight .. n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/28/06 1:02am
Msg #148987

This could be interesting: "...advised the lenders that they must **insure** the independent service providers..." ;>Wink

Somehow I don't think he means that the lenders should provide insurance for us (although that might be nice). On something like this, though, don't you think they'd at least be careful to **ensure** that they got their grammar right??!!

Reply by Jon on 9/28/06 1:20am
Msg #148989

They don't get anything else right, why would they bother to worry about spelling??

My new term for NNA,

Nonsense Notary Association.

Their response to BL is just one more blaring example of how clueless they really are.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/28/06 3:10am
Msg #148993

LOL!

Right! When it seems they've gone as low as possible, they find something else. How sad! Every now and then I think about how nice it would be if they really were what they claim to be!

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 9/28/06 1:23am
Msg #148990

insure - ensure - assure

I caught this to, but since you mentioned it I decided to check out the meanings. For educational purposes, here is what I found:

Although the words "ensure", "assure", and "insure" can all be interpreted to mean the same, some people interpret "ensure" as "cause to happen", interpret "assure" as "reassure that it will happen", and interpret "insure" as "compensate if it does not happen

so, yes... I think "ensure" would be in order here, although I'll admit to be insured would be nice Smile

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.