Notary Rotary
NRTC
Notary Discussion History

NRTC
Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by MICarole on 9/22/06 3:22pm
Msg #147846

NRTC

I just printed out a set of documents via Swiftview. I noticed that there was only 1 NRTC, so I just sent a email (not a nasty one) informing the individual that sent the docs to me that there should be 2 additional NRTC's for each borrower. This is the responce I received.

Mam-

We always submit one copy of each document from the file for the notary. The notary is responsible for printing those documents out for the borrower. It says in the documents to please print out an extra copy for the borrower. I have never heard of this federal law you are talking about. We have never had to print 4 additional copies of the Right to Cancel, ever since I have worked here. So, please just print out one extra copy of the documents for the borrower. Thank you-

Do you think I should have kept my mouth shut?

Reply by Barbara O on 9/22/06 3:46pm
Msg #147850

A) I would have kept my mouth shut
B) You were right about the number of copies of RTC. The borrower (each) gets two copies. I said keep your mouth shut just because this was as easy as printing extra copies of the RTC. With a program that auto-prints, take the one copy that printed and photocopy it. Problem solved. The guy you spoke to is (in my opinion) an idiot for not knowing that the borrower needs extra copies of the RTC.

Reply by Kate/CA on 9/22/06 4:33pm
Msg #147866

I would say that most of the docuements that I print and more than half I receive via courier only have 1 or 2 RTC. I always make the correct amount.

Reply by MICarole on 9/22/06 4:40pm
Msg #147870

I always make sure that there is the right amount of copies. However, in the last few months, several different companies have requested that they be informed if all the documents aren't there. I feel really bad that I may have offended this individual, but this is the first time that they haven't appreciated the fact that I let them know. (because most of them didn't know) I should have just kept my mouth shut.

Reply by Kate/CA on 9/22/06 5:22pm
Msg #147879

Don't worry about it, they will probably forget it by tomorrow.

Reply by David Kral on 9/22/06 7:25pm
Msg #147904

Technically-You are right.

Unless they had you sign an agreement stating you have given two copies to the borrow etc or ask you to certify that, you are not likely liable. You are a notary not a lawyer or a banker. You are not responsible to comply with those aspects of the law. If they send a package and say get it notarized, you are to notarize that package.

However, as a practical matter, and if you want to add value in this business most here would agree, although it is a pain, you have to check and make the extra copies.

Reply by NotaryGirl71 on 9/22/06 7:30pm
Msg #147908

Re: Technically-You are right.

It seems the only people who know notarial laws are us...signing agents.

Reply by Paul_IL on 9/22/06 8:32pm
Msg #147922

Re: Technically-You are right.

Notarygirl71,
Hate to break this to you but the RTC has NOTHING to do with notary law!

Reply by Ndwa on 9/23/06 1:47am
Msg #147977

Do you know Swiftview?

MICarole stated, "I just printed out a set of documents via Swiftview. I noticed that there was only 1 NRTC..."

I'm guessing Carole doesn't have a copy machine to make the extra copies of the RTC once she noticed. Otherwise, she'd kept her mouth shut.

Carole, you can print single or multiple pages in Swiftview by changing the the "Print Method" from "Fast Print" to "Windows Print" at the bottom of the print dialogue window.

Reply by SharonMN on 9/24/06 10:49am
Msg #148223

Re: 2 copies of RTC

I always make extra copies of the RTC if needed. If I'm showing up and asking a borrower to sign a paper that says "I have received 2 copies of the RTC" (which is what the RTC says), I'm going to make sure I have 2 copies to hand them. Otherwise, you run the risk of a detail-oriented borrower refusing to sign.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.