Notary Rotary
New Jersey Notary Public/backround check
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by jlissem on 9/27/06 8:30am
Msg #148739

A N.J. notary is a Commissioned Officer of the State of N.J.
I am a disinterested party authorized by the State Treasurer of N.j. to administer oaths/affermations. Take acknowledgements. Execute jurats. Take proof of deeds.
I am over the age of 18
I am endorsed by a member of the State Legislature.
Backround Check
"The State Treasurer MAY NOT appoint any person who has been convicted of a crime under the laws
of ANY State or the UNITED STATES, for an offenes of dishonesty, or a crime of the the first or second degree."
I will be happy to provide anyone I provide notary services to, with a copy of my commission.

Reply by Jersey_Boy on 9/27/06 8:42am
Msg #148744

Jlissem,

I completely agree.... BUT

When I got my commission did I get questioned by my state legislator? <--- NO.

When I was sworn in did the county clerk ask for my id? <--- NO.

If the county clerk didn't even bother to check my ID first, what does this say for his/her integrity and ethics? <---- NOT MUCH.

As many have stated before, just because you have a commission doesn't mean that you are acting ethically. I have met too many notaries that we're knowingly and willingly using their commission in manners that would land them in a jail cell. So maybe a background check isn't such a bad idea. Even if it's not required under this law everyone is speaking about, maybe it's just another tool to set you apart from your competition and get you more business.

Please note that I am by no means questioning your ethics or integrity, just speaking my views and opinions.

PS-- Are you aware that there is a Network here in NJ for Notaries? For more inforamtion, please email me at [e-mail address]

Reply by Lisa Prestegard on 9/27/06 9:33am
Msg #148760

Case in point regarding ethics

Florida performs a background check on Notaries Public (criminal). One Notary in my area received her commission, no problem, and is now my competitor... again, no problem.
However, what the background check failed to reveal is that her husband is a disbarred attorney (no problem... yet). It further failed to reveal that her husband used to own a TC in this area, and was disbarred for the improper use of escrow funds (stealing).
Now... while I don't believe that this particular Notary is unethical per se, I do believe that, ethically speaking, the situation is questionable.
I'm not one to 'give an arsonist a match'. I would never feel comfortable having my personal financial information in that SA's posession.
A Code of Ethics is a wonderful thing when followed. An Ethics committee of peers works well within the National Association of Realtors, and is a great model to follow. I am hoping that if Harry puts his idea into place, he'll take a look at the NAR for ideas.
My point is, you're right... you can lead a horse to water, etc...

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/27/06 11:11am
Msg #148792

Careful what ya wish for...

I agree that NAR has lots of things that could be implemented...

But none of us would like to write Harry the kind of checks I write the NAR

Wink

Reply by Lisa Prestegard on 9/27/06 11:16am
Msg #148794

Re: Careful what ya wish for...

LOL, Gary. Due to the ridiculous fees of the NAR and local Board, I am no longer a Realtor member of the Real Estate community. I am simply a Licensed Florida Real Estate Broker. However, as a Realtor, I was on the Ethics committee for several years.
Loved it. Best part of my Board membership.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.