Notary Rotary
Nightmares that can come from background checks
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by NCLisa on 9/29/06 7:53am
Msg #149199

I worked for a law firm that was representing several people that had worked for premeire internet security company that also provided background checks. Well another large company bought out this company, in the process they promised to hire the 20 or so employees from the smaller company if they passed background checks. Well several of the employees didn't pass the checks. The background checks were wrong and misleading. One of the women who was employed with the smaller company and worked there for 5 years, had a prison record according to the background check. In fact, she was supposedly still in a Florda prison while at the same time living and working in the Research Triangle. Several other employees had bogus information show up also. The woman that had the alleged prison record was one of the founders of he smaller company and only sold out because she was promised a job. She didn't get the job. It took 2 years to prove that the background check was inaccurate, even though there was tons of proof she was living in the Triangle and not a prison cell. Someone with her name was in prison in Florida.

You never know what you are getting in a background check, while some just go by your social, others add information of other people with like names. If their is a Susan Smith out there committing crimes and they have no photo, finger prints or SS to identify her, then her record may show up on all the other Susan Smith background checks.

If you agree to a background check for a company, DO NOT LET THEM DO A CREDIT CHECK. No matter what they tell you, it DOES effect your credit standings. And your credit is none of their business. Some Corps. along with insurance companies are under the impression that people with bad credit for any reason will either embezzle or burn their houses down, or wreck their cars for the money. What has been proven is people with good credit living beyond their means are the ones that tend to embezzle, steal their own jewelry, wreck their cars and burn their homes down for the insurance money.

Reply by PJM/MI on 9/29/06 9:17am
Msg #149228

Oh how right you are! There are 4 of "me" in the US, and one of "me" has REALLY bad credit. She has been using my soc. sec. # for many things, AND the IRS is under the impression I am "Deceased" and I have been for 7 longgg years. I have doggedly tried to get this matter cleared up with the IRS, and nothing has been solved. The soc. sec. admin isn't any help, either. I have physically stood in front of them with all my documents in hand and been told "we'll take care of this right away". I wonder who's time zone they are in.
With a certain sir-name, soc. sec #'s are stolen and used all the time.
The bad "me" bought a car in TX which was never paid for, does not pay her utility bills, and lo and behold, they show up on MY credit report. The 3 major credit bureaus are aware of this problem that I have fought for over TWENTY FIVE years.
The bad "me" has also used the soc. sec # of the other "me" (who is a very outstanding person).
What's scary, is the 4th "me" is only in high school. At least she can marry out of this name!

Reply by NCLisa on 9/29/06 9:29am
Msg #149237

I was surprised to find out how many people actually had my name, my entire name in the US. There are quite a few of us. It is very scary.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 9/29/06 10:53am
Msg #149259

PJM/MI...Have you notified the FTC?

Many people are not aware that the FTC should be notified when ID Theft occurs. This will help law enforcement across the country track down id theives and stop them. The FTC also refers victim's complaints to other government agencies and companies for further action.
They can be reached at 877-438-4338, or online at htt://www.consumer.gov/idtheft

Reply by MelissaCT on 9/29/06 9:43am
Msg #149242

I once had a bwr that had incorrect info on her credit report because someone with her last name didn't pay for something & since the company couldn't read the first name clearly, they marked every account of theirs bearing that last name with the negative information.

Reply by MC_oh on 9/29/06 9:54am
Msg #149244

There is actually another NSA with the same name as mine. Its scary to think how this will effect me.

Reply by SusanOH on 9/29/06 10:01am
Msg #149249

I had a background check done on me by a national title company that assured me that a credit check would not be run, however clearly when I received my Transunion report a few weeks later they, the title company had indeed ran a credit check. I called the title company in question and even as I told them that I was looking at my report they denied any wrong doing. I questioned Transunion about this and they said it was indeed a credit check. I called the NNA the other day and at that time they had not even secured a contract with a company yet that is going to do the CBC's. They also told me that there would not be a credit check run. What do you believe??

Reply by NCLisa on 9/29/06 10:08am
Msg #149253

LSI West required a background check. The form they sent me said they would also be running a credit check. I crossed out the credit check portion, initialed it, then on the bottom of the form wrote that I was NOT authorizing a credit check and signed.

They ran the background check and an old traffic ticket came up, that was it. They did not run a credit report.

You really need to read the fine print on those forms, because almost everyone says credit check in there somewhere.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.