Notary Rotary
No proper ID in CA
Notary Discussion History

No proper ID in CA
Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by NCNotary on 9/21/06 3:41pm
Msg #147555

No proper ID in CA

Adjourned a signing in CA last night due to the spouse only having a driver license in her maiden name. Got a call from *** title/signing service (the big one with 3 locations) telling me I was wrong to adjourn the signing. She tried to convince me that since they had a marriage certificate, I should have notarized her on the DOT, and she would get another notary to do the job. Once again I spoke with the SOS and got the same answer. It is not legal to use a marriage cert. to ID. Signers must have proper photo int the name on the docs. Beware of this bad info from any SS or title co. Hope the next notary has the smarts to reject this line of BS.

Reply by Teddog/CO on 9/21/06 4:00pm
Msg #147559

Glad to see you had the "smarts" not to do it kiddo!! n/m

Reply by Calnotary on 9/21/06 4:04pm
Msg #147561

Re: Glad to see you had the "smarts" not to do it kiddo!! n/

You did the right thing, I dont know why when they fill out the 1003 they dont check for proper ID, and when the signing time comes, it will be a smooth signing.

That lady could be his girlfriend, and the wife was in vacation.

Reply by Gerry_VT on 9/21/06 4:32pm
Msg #147567

Since California makes it so hard to do anything without a driver's licence or state ID card, and since California considers their own marriage certificates to be worthless, maybe the government should do something to ease the problem they are creating, such as making DMV offices the place to apply for marriage licenses.

Reply by Rebecca/CA on 9/21/06 4:59pm
Msg #147572

What?????

One Stop Shopping. So why would the DMV be a good place to go for a Marriage License? Have you seen the lines at DMV? The City Clerks office is a two minute trip....in/out. As far as California making it hard to do anything without a driver's license, that would most likely be because we have so many dishonest companies who are willing to hire employees who are not here legally so that they can get dirt cheap labor. But...I don't believe that California marriage certificates are worthless, afterall I have been married to my best friend for 13 years now and couldn't be happier.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 9/21/06 5:41pm
Msg #147580

Gerry, the funtions are altogether different one is a State

function - DMV and includes things like background checks for licnesing and for outstand legal issues while the marriage icense is onoy a vital records situation which in Caliofornia and most other places is maintained on a county basis. Since vital records are so old I suspect that things aren't going to change much. Remember even in ancient times births, deaths, marriages and property were kept in subordinate jusridictions, Literally thousands of years before the first motor vehicle.

Reply by Rebecca/CA on 9/21/06 6:45pm
Msg #147599

wow....well said Charles n/m

Reply by Pamela on 9/21/06 11:22pm
Msg #147662

Gerry Re: No proper ID in CA

Gerry read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act_of_2005

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/21/06 4:57pm
Msg #147571

I don't mean to be btichy, but why did you have to talk to the SOS to confirm that you were right? It sounds like you're well aware of what constitutes valid ID, why didn't you just trust your judgement?

Reply by Jenny_CA on 9/21/06 8:39pm
Msg #147625

Reviewing the handbook might give you more confidence. n/m

Reply by Brad_CA on 9/21/06 11:18pm
Msg #147661

You were right to adjourn the signing. They will tell you anything to get the loan closed.
It is not there a** on the line. It's yours. Good job.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.