Notary Rotary
Non-payment for Services - Barney Robb, Closing Services
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Teresa/FL on 9/15/06 3:30pm
Msg #146390

Located in Greenacres, FL - See my post # 136047.

Barney Robb is refusing to respond to phone or email messages. I spoke to the TC on 8/13. The EO was very nice and confirmed for me that checks had been sent out on 7/11 and 7/21 payable to Barney Robb (not Closing Services).

I am sending a final demand letter today via registered mail and will follow up will a small claims suit when/if payment is not forthcoming.

In the meantime, I will submit a complaint with the Governor's Office Notary Section regarding unethical business practices, since Mr. Robb is a notary as well.

I believe Barney Robb is the father of David Robb, who was associated with Executive Closing Services and has many compaints agains them on this board.

Forewarned is forearmed...if you accept an assignment from Barney Robb, be prepared to fight to get paid!

Reply by hcampersFL on 9/15/06 3:33pm
Msg #146391

Teresa if we had only started the Florida NSA Network 6 months ago we might have avoided this loser. Keep me in the loop on this guy because he owes me $$ also. I will be filing my own complaint with the Governor's office as well.

Folks he is a liar and a cheat. Do not be taken in by him or his company.

Beverly Nichols!!

Reply by Teresa/FL on 9/15/06 3:43pm
Msg #146394

I did a search on NR before accepting the initial assignment, but nothing came up so I gave him a chance. I'm now paying the price for it.

Since so many SS ask us for references, I may start asking them for the names and #'s of notaries they have done business with so I can check them out as well. Maybe a D & B report would be in order too...

Reply by hcampersFL on 9/15/06 3:49pm
Msg #146395

Really!
I did the same. I had worked for him around the first of the year but I got paid just a little late. The closing he owes me for was in May. I really didn't know he would stiff me then or I would have posted it. Now he avoids my calls and won't respond to email's. I have copies of all correspondence and will continue to pursue it. We can stay in touch and maybe by working together we can get our hard earned $$$.
B.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 9/15/06 4:01pm
Msg #146400

I heard from Chessie Christensen earlier this week. She is also trying to track down Mr. Robb for payment that is past due. Maybe if we all band together and submit complaints to the SOS we can get some action.

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 9/15/06 4:03pm
Msg #146403

Would small claims court be in order? Thinking that maybe someone who lives near him could file for all the claims for all of you. Just a thought. Also, did any of you keep a copy of the check he sent you? It wll help if you get a judgement.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 9/15/06 4:07pm
Msg #146406

What check? - that's the problem

I completed 2 closings (6/29 & 7/14) and have not been paid for either one.

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 9/15/06 4:16pm
Msg #146409

Re: What check? - that's the problem

I believe Bev said that she'd actually gotten paid earlier in the year. Just a thought.

Reply by hcampersFL on 9/15/06 4:19pm
Msg #146411

Re: What check? - that's the problem-Dorothy

I did one that he paid me for late. Another that he still owes me for. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Reply by hcampersFL on 9/15/06 4:17pm
Msg #146410

Re: What check? - that's the problem

I have one from May 19th. He said the check was already sent. I said I didn't get it. He said I will look into it and will not reply since.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 9/15/06 4:24pm
Msg #146413

Beverly - you did get paid for the first signing you did?

Did you happen to make a copy of the check before depositing it?

Someone once told me that she made a copy of each check she received, so she would have the bank name, routing #, and account # in her file. Then, if there were payment issues later and she had to go to small claims court and get a judgement, she had the bank account info and could get her judgement satisfied.

I try to remember to make a copy of at least the first check I receive from each company I deal with, and review periodically to ensure the company has not changed banks. Of course, if the company dissolves and closes the account it does you no good.

Reply by hcampersFL on 9/15/06 4:29pm
Msg #146415

Re: Beverly - you did get paid for the first signing you did?

No I did not make a copy. I think it was a Money order or cashiers check.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 9/15/06 4:39pm
Msg #146418

Sounds suspicious...

If you're in business and subcontract out signings, you should have a business checking account. I would be very suspect of a company that paid by money order or cashier's check, unless it was payment up front instead of after the fact.

Reply by hcampersFL on 9/15/06 8:18pm
Msg #146446

Re: Sounds suspicious...

You know I was surprized to even get that. It was over due and the Br cancelled at the table so I thoght I might get stiffed. When I got the money (not for sure it was MO or Cashier's check) I was just glad to get it and I put it in the bank. It was almost 6 months later for the next job and I really hadn't even thought of it until now.

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/16/06 3:08pm
Msg #146538

It'll cost you $5 or so, but your bank can get you a copy

of the checks in a deposit... from micro-fiche.

I had a client (computer consulting) that it was later revealed was signing both signatures on two sig check he was giving me... when the caca hit the fan I decided I needed a more complete file... and ordered copies of the checks I had deposited. It wasn't free but it wasn't real pricey... I'm thinking $5 maybe $10, not $20.

Reply by MelissaM_FL on 9/18/06 5:45am
Msg #146672

Re: References to other notaries...

If I remember correctly, this guy told me that he had worked with Sylvia when he called me. I did exactly ONE deal for him and refused the next one.

Reply by Teresa/FL on 9/18/06 12:42pm
Msg #146760

And how long did it take to get paid? n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.