Notary Rotary
OK...What is my official title???
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by bfd110_IN on 9/27/06 9:47am
Msg #148766

I have been lurking and commenting here for almost 3 years now and I guess I am thourghly confused on what my title is? When I worked for the bank I instructed mortgage and consumer lending for 10 years so I feel that I am capable of explaining documents to the borrower and I have passed all the "SIGNING AGENT" tests, so I would assume I am a signing agent. On the other hand I see where I am not supposed to explain things, just to point and sign here well I guess then my title should be a notary cause I am there strictly to witness the signing of documents. Then on the third hand I am acting in the capacity of a closer with exception to doing disbursements( unless it is a puchase that is funding at the table)so i feel that I am a closer.

This is not meant be a slam session, but I am curious on why we have different titles. We all have to be notaries first to do this bussiness, but at what point does that title change?

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/27/06 9:51am
Msg #148767

I have two titles...I am a notary public (for general) witnessing of sigs, and
I am a certified notary signing agent - CNSA after my name on all my stuff that concerns the signing business.

Reply by Poppy on 9/27/06 9:55am
Msg #148768

With all those hands I'd say Octopus! ;-) n/m

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/27/06 9:58am
Msg #148770

LOL poppy.... n/m

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/27/06 9:58am
Msg #148769

from my web site -- You can also call yourself a Mobile Notary.

A Notary is a public figure authorized to attest to the signing of documents, after the signer's identification as been satisfactorily proven to the Notary witnessing their signature. The Notary Public certifies that he or she has witnessed the signing of the document by affixing his or her official seal and signature.

A Mobile Notary provides a wide range of Notarial services in the privacy of your home or office. The Mobile Notary service, unlike the traditional notary, does not require you to travel to a real estate office, bank, or courthouse to get a document notarized. Instead, the Mobile Notary agrees to meet you at a specified time and location to provide the needed Notarial services

Reply by bfd110_IN on 9/27/06 10:03am
Msg #148772

ok....Soo now am I a mobile signing agent with a notary commission if I am willing to explain the documents?

Reply by Jersey_Boy on 9/27/06 10:13am
Msg #148775

"Super Mobile Notary, Signing Agent Extraordinaire" lol n/m

Reply by Teddog/CO on 9/27/06 10:28am
Msg #148780

Re: "Super Mobile Notary, Signing Agent Extraordinaire" lol

Before I split for the day . I agree with you Jersey_Boy ! And then some. You forgot to add psychologist , dog handler, semi-professional stunt driver (mountains and dirt roads) and wee child tamer. LOL

Reply by christiSocal on 9/27/06 4:56pm
Msg #148905

Add contortionist for those out of your car signings! n/m

Reply by christiSocal on 9/27/06 4:56pm
Msg #148906

Add contortionist for those out of your car signings! n/m

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 9/27/06 10:14am
Msg #148776

name that tune ...

It depends on who you're talking to. It would be wonderful if there was a national standard job title, but at this point there isn't. You are many things, and there are a few things you are NOT, and a lot of it boils down to semantics.

I think most people that I know use "Notary Signing Agent" or "Certified Notary Signing Agent", NSA or CNSA. It would also seem logical that the title might show local tendancies (check profiles around your area?)

INSIDE the lending/title industry - we're often called "Mobile Closers", "Outside Closers" "Remote Closers", or just "the closer". That seems to irk a lot of NSA's, but it's just the jargon used around those offices - they aren't intending to imply that you're the Settlement Agent. They call the thing that you do "closings". We call it "signings". They call and say "Can you do a closing?" The L/O asks "Are you the closer?" I don't see that it's worth any arguement - I don't care what you call me, as long as you call me!

HOWEVER ... what DOES matter is how you sign yourself. You do not sign any document (like the Hud, or the Lender's Closing Instructions) that have a line for "Closing Agent". You are NOT the "Settlement Agent", either (not even in conversation, that one).

Oh - and you're not an attorney. And I'm not an attorney. Unless you ARE an attorney, then in that case I don't know WHAT the heck to call yourself - CNSA, Esquire?? =)

Reply by Teddog/CO on 9/27/06 10:29am
Msg #148781

Re: name that tune

Or "Call me anything ! Just give me the phone numbers and address!!" LOL

Reply by Becca_FL on 9/27/06 10:32am
Msg #148783

Why are you even worried about a "Title" it means nothing n/m

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 9/27/06 1:45pm
Msg #148849

Re: Official Title

IMHO if you're looking for an "Official Title" the only OFFICIAL title would be Notary Public, as you are an 'official' of the state. All other titles are colloquial, that is to say, whatever OTHER
unofficial title you would like to give yourself (or others give to you) is by choice.

Reply by bfd110_IN on 9/27/06 2:01pm
Msg #148852

I could careless about a title.

I was making a comment how everyone calls themselves different things and how different titles perceives themselves.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.