Notary Rotary
OT: Flags of our Fathers by James Bradley
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by TitleGalCA on 9/8/06 7:39pm
Msg #144621

I just started this book last night and am captivated by it. It's the story of the lives of the men who raised the American Flag at Iwo Jima, written by the son of the only surviving member of the group. That picture of that flag raising has become iconic in this country - the book is about the actual soldiers.

These boys played ball, worked on farms, some were educated some not - but they were all just like any young man you or I know now. Their lives remind me that every single life lost by a soldier of this country, dying to protect and preserve our rights, is holy.

Anybody else read it?

Reply by LIZ/VA on 9/8/06 8:09pm
Msg #144625

Just saw on TV ( I think it was Entertainment Tonight??) They have made a movie about it.
Believe it or not, I remember seeing that photo as a girl. ( I mean when it first was published in news) Everyone was so patrotic in those days. I wish we all were now. ( Not saying that a lot of us are not now, ) but in those days EVERYONE was.Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the book and its story.

Reply by calipat on 9/9/06 1:04am
Msg #144668

I went to jr. and high school and got married in the town where Harlon Block was from. They have a park named after him. The town is Weslaco, Texas it is way down south, part of the Rio Grande Valley.

Reply by Tina_MA on 9/9/06 11:23am
Msg #144716

Great book!

You should also read his second book "Flyboys". Also a great book!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.