Notary Rotary
OT: Fundraising Ideas
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by NCLisa on 9/18/06 8:52pm
Msg #146866

Anyone have any simple fundraising ideas? My daughter wants to go on the "People to People Student Ambassador" trip to Australia next summer. I already work myself to death paying for her horse habit, so she has to earn 100% of $6000 to go on this trip. She's 15 1/2, and earns about $75.00 a week working at a barn afterschool & petsitting. But that won't do it, so she's trying to come up with fund raising ideas.

Here are a couple of her ideas so far:
Friendship bracelets to sell for $5.00 a piece.
Post card pledge - donate $10 and give her an address and she'll mail a post card from Australia.

I've never been good at fundraising so I'm lost.

Reply by Ernest__CT on 9/18/06 8:55pm
Msg #146868

Maybe not really OT: Fingerprinting?

Can you, as a Notary Public, do fingerprinting in your state? You know, fingerprint kids for donations to your daughter's trip?

The postcard pledge sounds like a great idea!

Reply by ck_KY on 9/18/06 9:21pm
Msg #146870

When I was in high school (seems like ages ago, but has only been 12 years), I made cinammon suckers in the ice trays (some other flavors are available to) and sold them for 50 cents each. They are made of sugar, corn syrup, water and your loraine flavored oils (which are only about $2.00 per bottle). You made a high profit because they are so cheap to make and the kids just love them.

I still make them for the kids at halloween now, but use cute little molds such as bats, witches and jack-o-lanterns.

E-mail me and I will give you the recipe and a website if you would like to buy some molds. (They are cheap also, like $2.65 per mold that makes between 4-6 suckers.

Reply by NCLisa on 9/19/06 5:49am
Msg #146895

Point me to the website and I'd love the recipe. Thanks.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 9/18/06 9:28pm
Msg #146871

Offer to organize garages/basements attics and haul away extra. Have a rummage sale.

My daughter raised a lot of money for the American Cancer society with a "Kiss the Pig" contest. She enlisted 3 teachers. The kids voted for the teacher they wanted to see kiss a pig. $1 a vote. Her friend lent her a baby pig for the big day. She could offer a portion to the ambassador general fund so it will be more likely to be ok with the school. baby pig had a bath first and was soooo cute!
She also sold beaded angels she made and freindship bracelets. Car washes at the local grocery store or wal mart.

One kid here cleaned out old barns and bagged the old manure as fertilizer! Bagged it in old feedsacks found around his Dad's farm! Last I heard he still does that on the side!

Reply by Ernest__CT on 9/18/06 9:39pm
Msg #146873

OT: Great idea! She's already got the horse!

Bagging some of the ... umm .. byproduct and selling it is a great idea. How 'bout "I'm going to Australia! No s***!" as a label.

Reply by NCLisa on 9/19/06 5:46am
Msg #146893

The fertilizer idea would be great if we weren't a community of horse farms and farmland. Everyone has to much manure around here!

The barn cleaning sounds good, there are a lot of old barns.

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 9/19/06 8:32am
Msg #146908

Lisa, just a thought. How about going into town to the most prosperous part and putting 3-1/2 X 5 index cards on the grocery store bulletin boards advertising the manure and giving a phone number. Then they can either drive out and purchase it or maybe she can get one of you to deliver it??? Not much cost and you'll get your moutain moved.

Reply by NCLisa on 9/19/06 10:08pm
Msg #147082

I should give that a try.

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/18/06 10:08pm
Msg #146876

Lisa...

here's an idea. They do not accept laser cartridges, if they did, I'm sure we could all help!

http://www.empties4cash.com/MainFrame.html

ask the school to get involved, type a letter to go home to every parent and set up a box/bin. Maybe you can get more than 1 school to participate. However you must go directly to the Superintendent's office, I learned by trial and error when collecting supplies for the Kat hurricane. Go straight to the top, and good luck!

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/18/06 10:27pm
Msg #146877

Re: Lisa...or...

how about a local ad offering horeback riding lessons, not sure what insurance related issues may be, just a thought.

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/18/06 10:27pm
Msg #146878

geeze...lol, I meant horseback.... n/m

Reply by hcampersFL on 9/18/06 11:05pm
Msg #146881

Re: Lisa...or...My son wants to go on a trip with them too.

His trip would go to England and Ireland. Don't think he will get to go. To much trouble over there these days. He is only 12 and has plenty of time for travel.
Good luck,
Beverly

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/18/06 11:28pm
Msg #146886

How to make some real money...

I'm supposing a 15 year old girl has beautiful handwriting. Most service industry professionals need to build referrals but never get the time. Have her find such a professional and offer to take over a campaign writing personal notes and sending brochures to their prospects for a referral fee from all new jobs. You just have to make sure the professional is someone that can be trusted.

Perhaps a mobile notary nearby.

Reply by Ernest__CT on 9/19/06 12:31am
Msg #146890

Yes! That's the winner! Count me in!

If your daughter decides that she'll do the hand-written notes and you'll let her do it, I'll be the first in line to have her write (i.e., copy from printed text) letters.

Reply by NCLisa on 9/19/06 5:49am
Msg #146894

Re: Yes! That's the winner! Count me in!

She can do that! Her handwriting isn' beautiful, but it's nice and it's legible! (Wish mine was).

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 9/19/06 8:35am
Msg #146909

How about had addressed Christmas cards? n/m

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 9/19/06 8:42am
Msg #146911

s/b - HAND addressed n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/19/06 6:17am
Msg #146896

Re: OT: Fundraising Ideas - I'd like to send $10

Do you have a paypal.com account?

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/19/06 6:37am
Msg #146899

Re: OT: Fundraising Ideas - Death by Chocolate

For Project Graduation fundraising, I fixed up a few batches of these each week and sold them for $1.50 each to the students at my son's school during lunch time.

Death by Chocolate

In order to make individual servings you can sell out of an ice chest, purchase a sleeve of clear/cheap plastic cups and cheap plastic spoons.

Plastic cups, spoons
Spool of Cheap Ribbon
Colored Saran Wrap
1 Large pan of brownies
2 Large Instant Jello Chocolate Pudding
2 Large Cool Whip
2 or 3 Hershey's bars

Bake a large pan of brownies - Allow to cool (Or, Substitute Crushed Oreos.)

Divide cooled brownies/crushed Oreos out into the bottoms of all the cups. That's your chocolate crust for this treat.

Now, layer a round of pudding.

Next, layer a round of Coolwhip.

Grate, or shave off curls of the Hershey bar on to the top of the Cool Whip for each cup.

Measure off a length of the colored Saran which you can set the cup into the middle of and pull ends up over the top to be tied off with a bow of ribbon. Refrigerate them overnight. Throw them into an ice chest and take them to the place they will be a hit.

==========
You'll have to figure out how much you want in each. Mine were fairly large, however, I can see this being a hit in tiny 3 or 4 oz cups as well and selling them for .50 - .75 cents.

Reply by Kyle Ledgard on 9/19/06 8:23am
Msg #146905

Re: OT: Fundraising Ideas - Death by Chocolate

If you're gonna recommend chocolate, you have to do 7 layer cookies.

butter on the base of the tray you cook them in
graham cracker crumb for the bottom
chocolate chips
butterscotch chips
coconut
walnut
condensed milk to hold it all together.

My family makes them around the holidays usually but they are so good any time of year.

Reply by NCLisa on 9/19/06 7:50am
Msg #146900

Thanks Brenda! The paypal account is [e-mail address]. Thank you.

The Death by Chocolate sounds great. Wake County public schools don't allow any "homemade" treats to be brought to the schools. I guess they had a food poisoning issue at one time. So even bday cakes must be "store bought". Sounds like something we could sell at horse shows though!

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/19/06 5:59pm
Msg #147036

Okay - I will take care of that later this eveing, Lisa. I know you were not asking, but heck, let's give this little gal something to motivate her to go out and get that money to go to Australia.

I love you notary people, you know.

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/19/06 8:26pm
Msg #147060

Lisa, I sent my $10 - I will be excited to get a postcard from Australia.

LOL...now...how about setting up a *$20* postcard to mail anonymously to your worst enemies. Hmmm...with Doc's help there could sure be some zingy jingles for those! But, Doc is for good not evil. Too bad all those worst enemies are not! LOL.

After thought, Lisa... do we know yet how much the postcard will cost to get back here to America? (Postage, I mean.) Don't let her run too short when she gets there.

I would so love to go to Australia, myself. One of these days!

Reply by LkArrowhd/CA on 9/19/06 8:38am
Msg #146910

Re: OT: Fundraising Idea-Lisa how about window cleaning

business or homes, I did my windows this past weekend, what a drag but of course I love the end result. I would have loved having a high school student come by to help me or do the whole thing. Her cost would be minimal, newpaper and a homemade remedy......
Lisa with this said I would love to make a donation towards your daughter's trip, this is a great opportunity and she is clearly a hard working kido staying so busy. I don't do paypal but please send address to my link....Thanks

Reply by howard53 on 9/19/06 9:20am
Msg #146914

Here's one have a Rock-A-Thon have a lot of Rocking chairs setup and and charge to rock in the chair for an hour. You can incorporate this in with a number of other ideas. All in all it should be a fun day and people will donate to your trip

Reply by Lisa Prestegard on 9/19/06 9:28am
Msg #146915

I'll match Brenda with a PayPal donation of $10

(thanks for the idea, Brenda!) My daughter is doing the same thing for her next summer trip to Italy. Your girl sounds alot like mine... industrious and focused... a really good kid! I'd be happy to help her achieve her goal Smile
Tell her we all want to see photos upon her return, too!

Reply by DellaCa on 9/19/06 11:10am
Msg #146926

Re: I also matched the donation lets

help Lisa's daughter go! It will give her a great start.

Reply by Merry_CA on 9/19/06 5:26pm
Msg #147029

Re: I'll match Brenda with a PayPal donation of $10

Me too! My donation is on its' way to your PayPal account. Good luck to your daughter!

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 9/19/06 11:46am
Msg #146938

As someone that also has a bad horse habit...

and who has always wanted to go to Austrailia, I would love to donate $10.00 to the cause! I am sending it to your PO box listed in your profile.

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/19/06 12:41pm
Msg #146952

Tony Robbins on horse habits...

"Anything that eats while you're sleeping can't be a good investment"... apparently he owns enough for a polo team, which explains why his CD's are so expensive.

Hey I don't want no bad juju... my check's in the mail too.

Reply by christiSocal on 9/19/06 3:29pm
Msg #146993

My daughter did this fundraiser

efundraising.ca with worlds finest choc bars. They sell quickly, just order more choc w/ almonds than anything else! One GREAT place to sell, outside of the bank on Friday from 4 to 6. People are hungry and cashing paychecks, good combo for fundraising!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.