Notary Rotary
OT.. Getting kids ready for school.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by cyndi_ca on 9/1/06 8:21am
Msg #142796

Remember how easy things were years ago, perhaps when your parents were getting you ready for school? Ya know, new clothes, pencil box, crayons, pencils and the like? Yesterday I had to buy my 5th grader a Flash Drive! AH! Wow how times change. Better get more tech savvy reeaallyy quick. Yikes, or I could wait for my kids to teach me!

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/1/06 8:41am
Msg #142800

please Cyndi...
I just woke up this morning with the last lingering effects of the cold I have, and thinking my knuckles are going arthritic on me and next August I start kindergarten for the fourth time. Somebody slap me.

Reply by cassiewi on 9/1/06 8:44am
Msg #142802

4 x!!!! You are a brave woman.

My three are it for me. Good Morning!

Reply by cassiewi on 9/1/06 8:42am
Msg #142801

My daughter is in 4th grade this year so I don't have to worry about. But I have to ask, what is a flash drive? This may sound ignorant and I'm sorry, I just can't think of what that is. And yes, it was much easier, there are soooo many things they need every year, not just school clothes anymore.

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/1/06 8:47am
Msg #142804

Cassie, this is exactly why I posted the search question...I started to google it and there went my mind!
Never did find out LOL
I used to be such a superwiz at multi-tasking!

Reply by cassiewi on 9/1/06 9:00am
Msg #142809

I feel your pain, LOL

Today was the first day of school and I was out until 11:30, up of course, until 1, wake up at 6, kids need showers, lunches, breakfast, my house looks like that post below, "what happens when women relax" Yesterday was my busiest day ever with 5 jobs, but it was between three counties. Not complaining mind you, just not used to it. I have some serious housework to do today!

Reply by cyndi_ca on 9/1/06 9:03am
Msg #142811

It's a little stick about the size

of a small highlighter pen with a usb connection. They can plug it into the computer at school to do their school work on and then bring it home to plug into the home pc. I didn't know what it was either until yesterday. It's pretty trick! My mind is in tech overload! Bought a new car with the navi in it, new satellite tv, new phone. I'm a gonna scream!

Reply by cassiewi on 9/1/06 9:10am
Msg #142815

LOL

That's too funny, I didn't see that on the list, but who knows when that'll hit the midwest. My husband went into macho man mode this weekend and decided he wanted a HDTV, ok, we go and get a pretty good deal. I agree because he's been wanting one for a loooooong time, I just didn't and still don't understand it. BUT they have to deliver and set up the tv, then home theater inst. dept has to come and hook some stuff (don't ask, I have no idea) and then Directv has to come so we can get that clean picture, however they can't make it until the 18th. Oy vey! It's more trouble than it's worth. IMO

Reply by cyndi_ca on 9/1/06 9:14am
Msg #142816

Re: LOL cassiewi

And here we were tricked into thinking how great and how much better our lives will be with all the new tech advances and such. B$! I'ts making me crazy!

Reply by cyndi_ca on 9/1/06 9:16am
Msg #142817

Charm/Cassie go to usb007.com n/m

Reply by MelissaCT on 9/1/06 9:27am
Msg #142824

Re: HD

My uncle has HD & yes, there is a difference in picture quality, but I think it's more hype than anything else. Heck, I grew up with rabbit ears on a console TV in the living room. Then my Dad put a motorized (huge) antenna up on the roof that you controlled from a big box with a radial dial. I grew up without cable TV. Where I am now (an actual city in CT), we can't even get the local stations without cable.

BTW, the dinosaurs were long extinct before I was born...

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 9/1/06 9:52am
Msg #142830

OT Don't get me started!

I still don't have cable because I dislike the pricing structures of cable/satellite companies - give me a la carte choices, then I'll sign up. Living in a big city, I can get 6-8 stations with rabbit ears. Poor reception, but it's free so I don't care. Watching HD at friends' houses doesn't spoil me. My TV is also a 19-incher I bought 15 years ago, can't even hook DVD and VCR players up at the same time, or at least Radio Shack tells me I can't. I own 5 DVDs, and they were all Christmas gifts.

Ten years ago I was at the forefront of every technological advance, then I ran out of patience, time and money (not in that order)! Now I'm a dedicated library book borrower again.

I think I saw a dinosaur roaming the backyard of the house I grew up in.

Reply by cassiewi on 9/1/06 9:57am
Msg #142835

LOL

I'd be ashamed to tell you how many movies we have, because he doesn't like to watch "TV", that's my thing. I agree, though, it would be nice to have a la carte choices. I'd love to watch the Angels play ball, but you have to get the whole baseball package, in order to get those games, sorry not paying $300-$400 to watch Angel games. It's silly. Good for you though, stick it to the man Wink

Reply by Stamper_WI on 9/1/06 10:57am
Msg #142852

collectors Item?

There's been an ad in the local paper offerring to professionally take down antennas off roofs for free. Either they are collectable or the price of aluminum has gone up!

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 9/1/06 1:04pm
Msg #142886

Re: collectors Item?

Wish I could get one - better than rabbit ears!

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 9/1/06 9:51am
Msg #142829

I wish it was still like it was in the "good ol' days"! I have 4 "rugrats", one is out of school now (yea!), then I have one in 3rd, one in 4th and one is a Junior in HS. I ended up spending $485.00 just on the items on the supply lists! Now we get to buy things like: 2 kinds of glue, Clorox clean ups (isn't that in the janitorial bidget?), boxes of ziploc baggies (?), along with the pencils etc.
My husband was writing out the checks for the lunches on the 1st day of school and asked if he was supposed to write one out for the teachers lunch too! Then there is the $20.00 craft fee, & 5.00 magazine subscription fee and those are "not optional". Now the monthly fundraisers are beginning, oh goody! I really feel for those that can't afford all this extra for school supplies, and that's not even counting school clothes or shoes.
Well now I've got my morning vent out! LOL!

Reply by cassiewi on 9/1/06 9:58am
Msg #142836

I forgot about the fees :( at least it's a few years away. n/m

Reply by cyndi_ca on 9/1/06 10:01am
Msg #142837

I guess I am lucky. The registration fee covers school supplies and fees for field trips and such for the year. We have our fundraiser like, the second week of school. Oh joy! I do have to buy uniforms which just about break me.

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/1/06 10:32am
Msg #142844

So where were ya from 1989-1997 ???

None of my beez wax... but the ages just look interesting.

Don't worry, by the time the Junior gets done with driving and proms you'll have forgotten all about wipeys and crafts.

NaNa

Besides without 'em what would ya do with your boring old life and your dumb old money anyway?????

Reply by cyndi_ca on 9/1/06 10:36am
Msg #142846

How true that is Gary! Where would we be? n/m

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/1/06 10:54am
Msg #142851

What you mean "we" ???

Hehehe... I'm full of good advice... and happily single.

Got two great nephews and a great neice that I see a couple times a year and then they spend most of the summer with grandpa and yours truly.

I love 'em dearly and they are great fun in the summer... but they got too many movin' parts. One's comin' and one's goin' and the other one needs who-cares-what (before my coffee or after time to relax)...

And that's during the summer!!!!!! I couldn't hack the school year, they'd put me in a rubber room.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 9/1/06 11:01am
Msg #142855

I am done with all that

Although the 2 do come back a lot. I call them "yo yo" and "boomerang". Boomerang is in college and yo yo just left to get her paycheck. Could be worse....

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 9/1/06 11:14am
Msg #142859

Re: So where were ya from 1989-1997 ???

Thought I was retired from that little portion of life, then SURPRISE! Then since I had had a boy then girl, and the new one was a boy, that it wasn't quite fair to only have 1 girl, so I had another girl. Now I'm completely finished with the up all night routine, dirty diapers, burp cloths, the whole mess!
Grrooaann! Last year's prom set me back 600.00. Sure glad we have that big old money tree in the back yard! (At least the kids think that!)

"Besides without 'em what would ya do with your boring old life and your dumb old money anyway?????"
Funny, my teens ask me that same question! LOL!

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/1/06 11:18am
Msg #142861

Who needs a money tree?

When you got a mom that gets paid $100 for her autograph and a rubber stamp ????

NaNa

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 9/1/06 11:28am
Msg #142867

LOL! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.