Notary Rotary
OT: Patriot Act, Tylenol and ID
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Jenny_CA on 9/19/06 4:29pm
Msg #147010

Went to S. Mart , after spending quite sometime looking for Children's Tylenol and C.T/ Cold Plus I asked if they even carry anything since I couldn't find the medicine(s) I was looking for.

I was informed that because of the Patriot Act they (stores) have to have certain over the counter cold medicines locked up ( yes, children's medicine too) and each time a customer buys any medicine he/she has to present and ID, the cashier takes the info, writes it down and files it inside a binder.

I am not a chemist, apparently there's some pretty strong stuff in Children's Tylenol that terrorists could keep busy with. Who knew??? Not me.

Reply by PL on 9/19/06 4:30pm
Msg #147011

Here it's not the Patriot act, it's to cut down on Meth. n/m

Reply by Jenny_CA on 9/19/06 4:35pm
Msg #147016

Re: Here it's not the Patriot act, it's to cut down on Meth.

See, I am wondering if that is what she meant, but I asked her several times....She said Patriot Act to cut down on Meth.

Do you have to show ID also?

Reply by Jeannie Miller on 9/19/06 4:39pm
Msg #147020

I'm in Florida and just bought some the other day. They did not ask for ID. I'm at Walgreens a lot and I never have seen anyone else either. I think it's the Meth.

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/19/06 6:39pm
Msg #147045

Meth is really an evil beast, and I think it is pretty easy to cook if you can get your hands on the ingredients.

Every weekend it seems like there is a special on A&E, MSNBC, or DSC to tell us about yet another state/rural area where the drug has taken over the working class (and all classes) of people. It's an insidious, terrible drug.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 9/19/06 6:45pm
Msg #147048

It is, its insidious and its everywhere, and it causes

problems people don't ever realize. Summer before last a meth lab started a fire in my area that claimed the lives of California Dept of Forestry pilots when their planes crashed fighting the fire. I belong to the Apartment Assoc of Orange County and we recently got an alert that the EPA is now considering apartments where a meth lab was located as an environmental hazard location with all of the environmental impact fees and requirements and restrictions. It is insidious and it is costing everyone whether you realize it or not.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 9/19/06 4:43pm
Msg #147021

here, from ABC a year ago ...

Undated - Over the counter sales of certain cold medicines will be handled a little differently in order to curb meth making and meth use.

Earlier this week, a South Haven-area pharmacist tipped off police when he noticed a customer buying an unusually large amount of cold medicine. Yesterday, police found a meth-lab at that person's home in Van Buren County.

Now a new law is setting new limits. The law that takes effect today requires you show proof you're old enough to buy the cold medication. It's now illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to buy cold medication. Plus, you're only allowed to buy 48 pills or the equivalent of two individual boxes in a 24 hour period.

Target stores in the area already have had cold medications behind lock and key. Most cold medicines contain pseudoephedrine. That's a prime ingredient used to make meth. Call tags are hung in place of the medications and people have to show their photo identification before they can buy them. The info is registered into the computer and a program keeps track of everyone's purchases. If someone tries to buy more than they're allowed, they'll be denied.

One Target pharmacist tells WZZM 13, "It's a deterrent to those guests who might have questionable intentions by purchasing anything with pseudoephedrine in it. It allows the community to know we care about this."

At Kay Pharmacy, warning signs are posted. Since it's a smaller shop, its layout meets the requirements of not having to have medication behind the counter. Still, pharmacists plan to keep track of purchases through a log. That log could be used by local law enforcement when they conduct an investigation.

Pharmacist Mike Koelzer says, "In essence, what they're trying to do is not make it difficult so that the average person off the street can't just buy some of these for their cold. But, they're trying to stop the abuse of people buying these for production of meth, meth laws.

Some pharmacists predict cold companies will soon make medication without ephedrine and pseudoepherine. That way, there's no risk of losing sales because their product stays over the counter and not behind it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.