Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Open Ltr 2 Sgng Svcs re WHY we charge what we chg (long)
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Signing_Doc on 9/21/06 2:35pm
Msg #147530

I just got a call from one of the ss I work with. They offered me $xxx.xx for a signing which entailed me going to the TC, picking up docs, going to borrower and then returning docs to TC the next day. It was less than I usually charge (not by much though) and I accepted. The scheduler called me back a few minutes later and advised me that he/she was mistaken (she/he quoted the fee for EDocs and only wanted to offer me $xx.xx). I advised the scheduler that, even though it was not EDocs, I still had to travel 30 miles from my office to p/u docs, then travel BACK 20 miles to sign borrower, and then return the next day 30 miles to return the docs to TC, approximately 120 miles round trip. I advised the scheduler of this fact and we were able to negotiate a 'reasonable' fee for this signing. My point being to everyone, including signing services that our time and professionalism is worth what we charge. YES, by not printing EDocs, the fee should be less, however, I still need to go to borrower, professionally do my job, return to the TC with the docs and inform the ss of this fact. You (signing services) are paying for my professionalism, my expertise, my 100 percent guarantee of perfection, and your peace of mind that, when you work with me it is done RIGHT the FIRST time. Yes, you can go to another notary for less...BUT you get what you pay for. This person may not be able to explain the documents correctly, may not notarize correctly, may not get all signatures and initials correctly....and then you have to hire ME to "mop up" the mess. It is always wiser to pay a little more, and know that it will be done correctly.

There is an old story, back when computers were filled with tubes and took a whole room. The computer broke down and they called around for a technician to fix the problem. The tech quoted an "outrageous price (in the thousands)" and they didn't want to pay it at first. They called around, and couldn't find anyone who knew what to do. They reluctantly called back the first tech and had him do the work. He came in, set down his toolbox and took off the back of the computer. He looked around for a few minutes, twisted ONE screw, put the computer back back on, and turned on the computer. It JUMPED to life and worked perfectly. The computer people were upset when he presented his bill. "Why should we pay you THIS MUCH MONEY when all you did was turn one screw?" He answered, "you aren't paying me for turning the screw.....you are paying me for KNOWING WHAT SCREW TO TURN."

The point being, my fee not only entails doing the job, but knowing HOW to do the job CORRECTLY, EXPERTLY, PROFESSIONALLY and WITHOUT ERROR the FIRST TIME.

So, I said all this to say, Please keep this in mind when we advise you of our fees. We need to make a living too (same as you) but we are EXPERTS in what we do and THAT'S what you pay for.

"Doc" (Just My Humble Opinion)

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 9/21/06 2:40pm
Msg #147532

Doc: You're my hero.. n/m

Reply by MistarellaFL on 9/21/06 2:40pm
Msg #147533

Excellent post Doc. You turned the right screw, too! n/m

Reply by Ndwa on 9/21/06 2:48pm
Msg #147538

Doc, I think I know who you're talking about. You have to be firm with this SS. I've drawn a line with them and they know.

Reply by Rebecca/CA on 9/21/06 2:54pm
Msg #147539

Diddo Doc

I wish I had a dollar for every mess I had to mop up.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/21/06 2:59pm
Msg #147542

Re: Open Ltr 2 Sgng Svcs .. TOUCHE!!... n/m

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/21/06 3:06pm
Msg #147547

Exactamundo!...excellent Doc.... n/m

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 9/21/06 3:37pm
Msg #147554

You are so right, and I remember hearing that analogy, oh...

about 35 years ago??? Wink

(I used to program those big mainframe computers!)

Reply by DellaCa on 9/21/06 3:52pm
Msg #147557

Re: Loved it Doc n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.