Notary Rotary
PA ID question
Notary Discussion History

PA ID question
Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by MaryP/PA on 9/27/06 11:55am
Msg #148806

PA ID question

Mrs. B has no id except her marriage license and 20 year old military ID card. Any suggestions?

Reply by HARRY_PA on 9/27/06 11:57am
Msg #148807

Call your client and tell them you do not have adequate ID to notarize the documents.

Reply by MaryP/PA on 9/27/06 12:01pm
Msg #148809

Didn't think the military ID would cut it. Don't military ID's have an expiration date?

Reply by HARRY_PA on 9/27/06 12:07pm
Msg #148810

Usually do, but the age of the ID would probably disqualify it. The picture would probably not be recognizable as the borrower. Good luck.

Reply by Teri_PA on 9/27/06 12:08pm
Msg #148811

Older military ID's had no expiration dating...so if this one has no expiration dating, you are technically okay...However, you still need to satisfy yourself that this is the same person...Another picture id would be super. If this one has expired, you need another government issued id to perform your notarial act, and it does not necessarily need a picture....You might want one(a picture), but it is not a requirement...Good luck

Reply by HARRY_PA on 9/27/06 12:16pm
Msg #148813

I agree with Teri that a picture is not absolutely necessary. " Acceptable ID is defined as a current government issued identification card bearing a photograph or signature or physical description, and a serial or identification number." Again, good luck.

Reply by MaryP/PA on 9/27/06 12:26pm
Msg #148819

social security card is a government issued ID with a signature and a number....but we are not supposed to use those, correct?

Reply by Teri_PA on 9/27/06 12:51pm
Msg #148835

You can use it...but I wouldn't use it alone....I would want a picture ID(expired would be fine) and the regulatory ID would be the Social Security card...

Reply by MaryP/PA on 9/27/06 12:18pm
Msg #148814

Never mind, I misunderstood - it's an old NY non driver ID which has probably expired by now. The borrower is pissed because he doesn't understand why his wife has to sign the docs if she is not on the title to the property. The borrower told him the birth certificate would be sufficient for me...WRONG!!!

Reply by Dale Simmons on 9/27/06 12:45pm
Msg #148830

If the docs are only in his name then she is not required to sign. If she is part of the loan but not on the title then she is. Sounds hinky

Reply by Teri_PA on 9/27/06 12:52pm
Msg #148836

Actually - that is a lender issue- certain lenders want spouses to sign as a condition of the loan....Follow up with title.

Reply by MaryP/PA on 9/27/06 1:01pm
Msg #148842

she's not on the title or on the note - so good question, why are they having her sign?

Reply by HARRY_PA on 9/27/06 1:17pm
Msg #148843

Perhaps her name is listed on the deed. She would then have to sign the mortgage/deed-of trust in most cases. Checking with title is good advice.

Reply by MaryP/PA on 9/27/06 1:31pm
Msg #148844

well appears title says she is on the deed. He swears up and down that she isn't but she was looking at a copy that she got from the search. so now what else can I use for this woman? has to be something that is a government issued ID, that contains a serial or id number with a signature or physical description or photo. apparently she doesn't have any of that.

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 9/27/06 1:39pm
Msg #148846

Re: This question of ID

was thrashed about ad naseum beginning with msg # 147505. I have a phone call in to the SOS in the hopes of settling the matter (in my own mind at least) once and for all. I will post the reply from the SOS when I get it for those who are adamant in their opinion.

Reply by Teri_PA on 9/27/06 1:42pm
Msg #148848

She can certainly get an ID card today- and make this a viable closing...

Reply by HARRY_PA on 9/27/06 1:49pm
Msg #148850

Teri, I am not sure that a PA ID can be processed that quickly and she probably doe not have enough ID to suport her application. P.S.: I think this horse is dead.

Reply by MaryP/PA on 9/27/06 2:23pm
Msg #148856

she has no way to get to where she has to go to get the ID and then there is a lot of other ID that you need to get the ID if that makes sense. Apparently her husband said she wasn't on title but the title company says she is. She said she shouldn't have been which sounds funny to me. Why wouldn't a man want to put his wife on the property if they purchased it when they were married.

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 9/27/06 3:11pm
Msg #148875

Re: PA ID question....from the SOS

I just received a call from 'Jeannie' at the PA Secretary of State's office. (717/787-5280 for those who wish to verify) According to the SOS, in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, it is acceptable to use a social security card as the sole piece of identification when performing notary services within the Commonwealth, provided that the card has been signed prior to appearing before the Notary.

Now, before any of you get your Gucci's in a bunch, I previously alluded to the fact that this is not the safest way to ensure that you've done your best. I am only reiterating that in PA
you only need minimal ID -TO SATISFY NOTARY LAW- It's legal, if not the best policy.

Reply by LovelyLaLa on 9/27/06 6:23pm
Msg #148926

What about credible witnesses??? Do they apply to this scenario?

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 9/27/06 8:12pm
Msg #148956

Credible witness???.....Yes... n/m

Reply by Teri_PA on 9/28/06 7:53am
Msg #149005

In PA, the credible witness must be known by both the notary and the individual ...so this is usually not a viable alternative in PA

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/27/06 7:13pm
Msg #148941

LOL! >>Now, before any of you get your Gucci's in a bunch<<

Okay...I am snorting on that one.

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 9/27/06 8:14pm
Msg #148958

Re: LOL! >>Now, before any of you get your Gucci's in a bunch<<

Brenda: snorting is good for the soul....thanks for 'getting it'.

Reply by lindetteh_PA on 9/27/06 9:11pm
Msg #148963

I have seen this question come up so many times and many people state that you can use ss card and thats all. However dont you need a unexpired photo Id to close a loan according to the patriot act

Reply by Teri_PA on 9/28/06 7:56am
Msg #149009

You are asking two different questions...closing a loan in accordance with the Patriot Act is different than meeting the statutory requirements of the state for notarizing in PA. The lender specifies the requirements for closing a loan and the SOS specifies the requirements for acceptable ID. So, yes, the social security is acceptable for notarizing legally...but we all have the wording "satisfactory evidence" in our acknowlegement as a caveat, which allows us to request more ID (and I always need to see a photo ID ) in order to be satisfied that this person is who he/she purports himself to be.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.