Notary Rotary
Please advice
Notary Discussion History

Please advice
Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Yu - Cony on 9/12/06 2:30pm
Msg #145533

Please advice

I am a new notary in northern California and had setup my website and had signup to many, many of loan signing agencies on the net seem to have no fruitful results at this time. These are loan signing agencies that I found on notaryrotary.com and many others, but yet still have no assignments, what else can I do to increase my opportunities as a notary/loan signing agent?

Please advice and greatly appreciate your information

My Webpage: notarybycony.com

Notary by cony

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 9/12/06 2:35pm
Msg #145535

Keep in mind that the California notary population is very saturated. I bet if you walk outside and knock on three of your neighbors doors, you will learn that they are all notaries too!

You need to sign up with at least 150-200 signing companies. Be patient and remember that good things come to those who wait.

Reply by Yu - Cony on 9/12/06 2:54pm
Msg #145540

thank you very much for your encouragement.

I will continue with what I am doing…sign up with as many as I can find

also would like to know if there are agencies that I can signup with and not have to pay for membership fee, my bills are running high on all of these memberships.

thank you again.

it is a matter fact that there is another notary one block away from me, I found out this morning...

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/12/06 2:56pm
Msg #145541

Also, you need to fill out your profile on hereSmile

Reply by notarybycony on 9/12/06 4:42pm
Msg #145573

Sylvia,
thank you for your reminder I did that, and would you kindly look at it again and see if I should do any correction.

grateful for your help.

Reply by cyndi_ca on 9/12/06 3:03pm
Msg #145542

Don't pay to sign up! n/m

Reply by Lee/AR on 9/12/06 3:04pm
Msg #145543

Beat me to it, Cyndi... Never, ever pay them! NEVER. n/m

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 9/12/06 3:05pm
Msg #145545

Ooops..... you're quicker than I! n/m

Reply by notarybycony on 9/12/06 4:40pm
Msg #145571

Re: Don't pay to sign up!

cyndi, any advice on what is available?

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 9/12/06 3:05pm
Msg #145544

Why pay to sign up????

I avoid the companies that make me pay an application fee to work for them. You shouldn't have to pay a company to work independently from them. JMO

Reply by notarybycony on 9/12/06 3:24pm
Msg #145552

Re: Why pay to sign up????

Thank you for the reminder...I had set up my profile on this website.

As for not paying for signup fees...most of the website I was on require a membership fee, any suggestion for where I can go?

Reply by Charles_Ca on 9/12/06 3:29pm
Msg #145554

Re: Why pay to sign up????

When I started in this business I signed up with every site I found and paid the fees. When renewal time came around I knew where my busness was coming from. I now only maintain membership on two sites and most of my business comes from this one!

Reply by Charles_Ca on 9/12/06 3:24pm
Msg #145553

I thought you said you were in Northern California...

Newark is the Bay Area. It is going to be tough to get going at this time but follow your business plan religiously and keep your eye on your financial projections. I just checked out your profile and you have absolutely nothing in there. A lot more signing services are going to find you on this site then will ever look at your website. If your profile is empty they will just go on to the next one. They might look at our website after they look at your profile here.

I like the basic layout of your website and I like you trying to make it current with all the graphics. Unfortunately I think that the website looks busy and is hard to read. The information is good. I think that you need to say more about yourself. Since you speak Cantonese have you gone to the banks in Oakland around Webster and 9th and gave them your card. I don't know how saturated that area is but many of those banks, real estate agents and attorneys working that are could use your services and you would eliminate the competition of the notaries who only speak English. Always market to everyone all the time.

Reply by notarybycony on 9/12/06 3:35pm
Msg #145557

Re: I thought you said you were in Northern California...

thank you Charles
I will do some changes on my website these next few days and clean it up.

hmm, excellent suggestion, next weeks project is to go to Oakland and San Francisco to meet the bankers.
any suggestions on how to approach them, what to say and whom to ask for when I arrive there? Sorry for so many questions, but your advice is greatly appreciated

thank you again for being so helpful.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 9/12/06 3:53pm
Msg #145559

I would approach the loan people in the banks and other organizations that do handle loans and would otherwise have need of your services. Don't forget some of the specialty travel agents. I would put together a simple brochure outlining your services written in both English and Cantonese (if you handle Mandarin put it in Mandarin also, you'll have a bigger audience. I have friends who are married and she is from Canton he is from Shanghai and they speak only English because she doesn't speak Mandarin and he doesn't speak Cantonese). Staple or clip your business card (make your own, don't use one from one of the organizations, they all look alike and no one really cares) to the brochure. Now if I had a culture specific gimmick I'd use it but one thing I know that works is a nice fancy gift-wrap (preferably red with a gold ribbon and a nice tassel) your brochure and hand it to each person in the bank who you would do business with, loan officers, securities brokers, managers etc. Collect all of their business cards and when you get home write each one a nice business letter thanking them for their time and their gracious welcome. Then monthly I would print up a different brochure that has the same information and go back and visit everyone maybe with a wrapped chocolate or some other such tidbit, don't make it expensive. You want to stand out from the rest and you want them to immediately think of you whenever the word notary comes up, you are setting up a conditioned response. If you wish to discuss this further e-mail me I have other techniques that may work with your various communities but I don't like to give away all my secrets publicly.

Reply by notarybycony on 9/12/06 4:33pm
Msg #145569

thank you again for all your great advice.
I will check in with you again after I make some of changes first.

greatly apreciate all your info. you been a "Gold Star"

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.