Notary Rotary
Question on networking for TX/FL
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Julie/MI on 9/13/06 3:11pm
Msg #145801

So I read a few of the posts on the networking thing and I just wondered if you set prices.

Let's say I charge $175 for a closing and I cannot do it. So I suggest to the title company that they call Mr. B from the network. Then Mr. B, wringing his hands and salavating at my new contact charges $110. And then I never hear from them again, because Mr. B did the job just as perfectly as I do.

Ya'll ever think of this? Smile

Reply by Joy223 on 9/13/06 4:10pm
Msg #145812

Hi Julie,
I have wondered about this too. It seems if you set up a network wouldn't setting prices be one of the things that you discuss with everyone? I would think that people on a network would have to be trustworthy enough so this kind of thing wouldn't happen. I am in MI also but just wanted to add MHO or 2 cents worth.

Reply by MelissaM_FL on 9/13/06 4:38pm
Msg #145821

Re: Question on networking for TX/FL...Fees

Most of the people in the network are already charging the same fees. I've never directly discussed signing fees with another notary, even Becca. However, I know that Becca and I are in the same ballpark on fees since we both charge $XXX as a base fee, $XX for email documents and $XX for fax backs. The "X"s are mine.

I'm certain that some discussion of fees will be part of the network at some point, but probably not in the manner that you are expecting. We're not in this to price fix, but any SA who has been doing this awhile and is a professional knows what it costs to do certain tasks. I have a breakdown on my desk which tells me how much it costs me to do jobs for most of my major companies based on package size, fax-back requirements (or lack thereof), and/or how much hand-holding they do.

I know what I have to charge to make a profit and I'm sure the other professionals in the network know what they have to charge. I'm not going to low-ball my competition to "steal" their client and then lose money on every transaction I do for that company. No professional conducts business that way. As for the "other" notaries who will low-ball to get the job, that's their business and they won't be IN business for long with low-ball fees.

Reply by EastTxNotary on 9/13/06 5:25pm
Msg #145834

In the Texas network, for example, there are a few areas that BrendaTx and I both can cover. If one of us gets a call that we cannot take, we refer to the other and if possible we try to let the other person know ahead of time that we've done so. Our fees are very close as in base fee, eDoc fee, etc. but the mileage will differ depending on which of us takes the signing, thereby affecting the fee we quote. We do not price fix, but we DO try to get the best prices we can, so we (as a network) are constantly discussing this issue.

As stated in earlier posts, most of our territories are not overlapping and if we took a signing in an area not normally ours, it is "taking one for the team", not to steal business by undercutting a network associate. For the network to work, you pretty much have to become family, and trust is of the utmost importance.

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/13/06 10:46pm
Msg #145910

Re: Question on networking for TX/FL - Example of today/tom.

This kind of rambles, but it will show you a typical network day....when it rains it pours...somedays nothing...some days, ring, ring, ring.

I got a call today for today and quoted $xxx.xx for 7 pm tomorrow night.

First shot I have at doing it. They want today.

Okay...I call two people on the network who are 50 miles further than I am. One was too busy, already...one said, sure. So she calls title.

She quoted them $xxx.xx (my fee + 50.00) for tonight. I was already scheduled so, no can do, tonight. But she could.

We discussed this after both talking to title.

She asked me if they came back and wanted tomorrow, did I want her to flip it back to me. "No. You keep it." I told her. I'd miss the check, but I KNOW she'd represent us like I would represent us.

When I got off the phone with her, the tc called me and said, "we realize you are pretty much it unless we want to pay your fee plus $50 to XXXXX...which we DO understand, bc she's farther away. Put us down for tomorrow night at 7 pm." I called my buddy in the network and told her, okay...I am on, you are off. (BTW - TC said they would pay her a courtesy call, as well, to let her know...that's pretty nice.)

===============

Now...this is yet another new title company for me who is now doing RMs.

The NETWORK LIST got into their hands from our "lurker-turned-poster" EastTxNotary who did a rev mort for them last month and bwr/LO loved her. (See how this works???)

I dang sure assure you that there's plenty of NSAs between here and Austin, Tx who could do this job.

But, they did not opt to use 123, NR, a google search, or an SS to find one. They used our network list.

I wonder why that is? Could it be the LO is requesting us b/c EastTx sold the guy on us? Could it be that she's bagged us another tc and/or network of LOs?

I think so. Thank YOU EastTx.

Now, you can think this is weird, or whatever, but I have referred $800 worth of work to that gal up Austin way in the last three weeks. Yes, off of calls to MY telephone...I took the call, sent them up to her because I did not want to go up to Austin...but I will, if I need to. The other gal up that way has been too busy to take any of them.

From ONE client of ours, up in Dallas area, one of the members made $1000 in one week, not to mention what she did with the other clients we work with.

I give EVERY SINGLE CONTACT I have to my associates. So does EastTx.

We don't pepper the group with names of SSs who call...just real marketing potential type clients.

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/13/06 10:52pm
Msg #145912

**Ya'll ever think of this?**

Yes, we did, Julie. Mr. B, Ms. C, and Mrs. D are no longer part of the group. Smile

The leader of the group must be fair, staunch on not putting up with any crap and willing to hit the DELETE key at any time there's a problem.

It took us awhile to get there, but we have finally come together in a group that's working together.

Reply by DellaCa on 9/14/06 11:31am
Msg #145998

Re: Brenda booting someone question

If you boot Mr, Mrs A,B.C how do you take them off the lists that are already out there? Won't they still get calls because they were on the fliers that were sent out before you hit the delete key? If you would rather I will email you with my questions I have.

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/14/06 11:36am
Msg #146000

Re: Brenda booting someone question

You cannot remove them from a list already in existence.

You can remove them from further discussion, chat, and the website.

You know you did the right thing when your network begins to feel the improvement, earn more, gain more, do more.

Toxic people exist.

No one is a perfect leader or decision maker.

It happens. You deal w/ it and move on.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.