Notary Rotary
Quick Florida question
Notary Discussion History

Quick Florida question
Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Diga2Lin/FL on 9/9/06 9:09pm
Msg #144869

Quick Florida question

Does a Florida lease need to be notarized?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/9/06 9:31pm
Msg #144878

If there is a notary certificate on it. Not up to us to determine what needs notarizing.

Reply by Diga2Lin/FL on 9/9/06 9:39pm
Msg #144880

That's my point - all the Floria lease forms I found didn't have a certificate printed on them - here's the deal..

I got a call tonite from someone asking if I would be willing to work with him and notarize leases he has signed with tenants....go out and meet with them and do the notary work - he was interested because many times the tenants can't get to a notary during the day - would I be willing to meet with them after hours. I said sure then asked him if he was sure the leases needed to be notarized (remembering in CT the ones I did didn't need notaries) - he said no, but he was told they hold up in court better if notarized (lots of faith in potential tenants I guess)...

He said he'd be in touch but I don't think I'll hear from him - I don't think he liked my fee - but if I do I just wanted to be sure I'm not notarizing something I shouldn't notarize....

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/9/06 9:43pm
Msg #144882

Diga,

I have had that same exact situation put to me. Landlord wants the contract notarized so that the lease will "hold up in court." Maybe it does, but I don't know why.

In my teensy bit of legal knowledge, I don't see how that makes it "official" or binding, but okay. Whatever blows your square dancing petticoat up, ya know?

Leases I have seen do not have notarial certs. If they want to add one, you know the drill...let 'em pick a certificate, etc. etc.

Reply by Diga2Lin/FL on 9/9/06 9:49pm
Msg #144886

LOL...whatever blows your square dancing petticoat up...I have to remember that one -

Okay - now..next question...what would you charge?....24-25 miles rt - sometimes at night (cuz I won't have them come to my house)..I quoted what I thought was reasonable - don't think he liked it.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/9/06 9:48pm
Msg #144884

There is nothing stopping you from notarizing them, but the signers or the preparer will have to tell you what certificate to use. We are notarizing signatures not documents, so it doesn't matter if it is a lease or a letter from his Great Aunt Mary (as long as Great Aunt Mary is in front of you <g>Wink

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/9/06 9:49pm
Msg #144885

Re: Quick Florida question - BTW

What fee did you quote? We can only charge $10 per notary act - and a reasonable travel fee.

Reply by Diga2Lin/FL on 9/9/06 9:50pm
Msg #144887

Re: Quick Florida question - BTW

$25 trave/time and $10 notary - $35.00

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/9/06 9:53pm
Msg #144889

Linda - see your e-mail:) n/m

Reply by Diga2Lin/FL on 9/9/06 10:07pm
Msg #144894

Re: Thank you both for your help..:).. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.