Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Requirement for CBCS From the source - Step Up!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Dale Simmons on 9/29/06 8:18am
Msg #149206

You know, we can stop this! It's simple! It's so simple that the greedy in our profession won’t do it. SIMPLE YES. . . . . SAY NO TO THIS WHOLE THING.
How many NSA's are out there throughout the USA?????:

Shut down for 30 days. . No signings PERIOD! Everybody – tell them why, let them know that the GLB act has caused your business to revisit it’s policy and procedures and will not be available for 30 days. We have that power

How do you like being controlled? Last time I checked this was my business. Don’t tell me this is the cost of doing business! Oh, by the way you CA notaries State gov’t has a bill that will force the escrow to roll back fees 27%. HEY! Whine and be controlled or take control of your business back.

Now we're going to have an organization control us? Oh, let's not forget how much $$$$$ their going to make. You buying this bull that they (our so intelligent government) wanted to get with the major organization in OUR profession. . .You buying that? They lobbied for this, their not stupid?

Have you thought why the other major title companies haven’t signed up for this?

Reply by LawrenceOK on 9/29/06 8:30am
Msg #149213

""Have you thought why the other major title companies haven’t signed up for this""

It's simple, the other major title companies don't want the USDOJ coming down on them when the s**t hits the fan.

Reply by Poppy on 9/29/06 9:19am
Msg #149231

Your're on the right track, but why do we need to shut down

for 30 days? If not one single notary signs up for the NNA program the title companies that are requiring this will have no NNA certified notaries to take the job.

Reply by cyndi_ca on 9/29/06 9:28am
Msg #149236

Re: Your're on the right track Poppy

I think perhaps the boycott of the NNA may be effective. Getting notaries to shut down for 30 days appears to be a great idea however, here in CA there are so many of us, surely there will be plenty to pick up the slack so-to-speak. It's like getting everyone to stop buying gas. Never happen. Boycotting the NNA may be more of a realistic approach.

Reply by NCLisa on 9/29/06 9:55am
Msg #149245

I couldn't afford not to take any closings for a month!

I think we need to find out who is in charge of the program at all the companies that signed up and write letters to them. Explain that the NNA is not the great organization it makes itself out to be, that we don't see a need to spend that kind of money annually, and that they have other alternatives.

Reply by Dale Simmons on 9/29/06 10:00am
Msg #149248

You can't afford not to!

Reply by NCLisa on 9/29/06 10:04am
Msg #149251

I do almost no business with those companies. Maybe you have other income, but I don't. I'm not going to not pay my mortgage or car payment and take my daughter out of riding lessons, etc. for a month to prove a point when there are better ways to do it.

You are forgetting that there are all kinds of notaries that won't do it, will get all the business and when the other notaries come back from their month long strike will have to build up their business all over again.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/29/06 11:30am
Msg #149264

I agree. We'd only be hurting ourselves and I seriously doubt we would have enough numbers to have an impact. No boycott for me. My bills won't take a month off, either! :>Wink

Reply by Dale Simmons on 9/29/06 11:41am
Msg #149265

No offence, but this is why THEY win and they know it, from government to corporate business. Think about it.

Reply by SueW/Tn on 9/29/06 11:48am
Msg #149269

Dale...c'mon

even in the most serious of job classifications SHUT DOWNS do NOT work. Geez...we perform a SERVICE only, trust me...they can do without us and do it with no problem. Yea it would upset the apple cart BUT Lenders won't skip a beat, they most definitely will get the ink on the docs. This is now, this isn't a time when interest rates are low and people are foaming at the mouth to get in on the rate. And whenever you give an ultimatium, be advised, the system is definitely going to test you. Each SA is going to have to determine what impact this has on their business and make personal decisions based on that impact. I have friends that do a ton of business with the companies mentioned and it would be financially in their best interest to adhere to the new restrictions. We follow guidelines with every signing we do, some more strict than others but always we are following instructions. Bottom line is if you want to work for specific companies you're going to have to meet their demands.

Reply by Poppy on 9/29/06 11:56am
Msg #149270

Sue

I agree....

I think we forget our position is a convenience for the borrower, not a necessity.
Don't get me wrong, without a doubt I think most of us bring value to the transaction, but the industry would go on with out us.

Reply by Dale Simmons on 9/29/06 12:12pm
Msg #149276

Re: Dale...c'mon

Sue Thanks for such a well thought out response.

Reply by BetsyMI on 9/29/06 2:43pm
Msg #149319

Re: Dale...c'mon

Haven't read through all the threads so maybe someone already mentioned this.

But do you remember when all the air traffic controllers went on strike thinking no one could replace them? But they did.

A number of years ago the same thing happened with our local Detroit newspaper strike.

Reply by Dale Simmons on 9/29/06 9:59am
Msg #149247

All to stop buying gas impacts cash flow of the working person not buying gas. This analogy is apples and oranges with regard to this subject. However, when all NSA's realize it is a viable business and not something just to make extra cash one could see the impact. This act will impact your bottom line and maybe if one can see past the end of the month one could see what impact a 30 day shut down would do.
I don't do boycott's. Boycotts are not effective. But taking control of your business is in MY control.
Thanks for your comments
D

Reply by Dale Simmons on 9/29/06 9:48am
Msg #149243

Think Big Picture

If all Notaries shut down to "revisit "Poilcies and Procedures" BILLIONS of dollars would be disrupted. The housing market and stocks would cause a down turn. HOUSINE IS A LEADING INDICATOR!

Reply by cyndi_ca on 9/29/06 10:02am
Msg #149250

Re: Think Big Picture But Dale

How many of us out there can afford to "shut down" for a month. I agree with you in that the effect would be huge, I just think we need to find something that is effective and something that is possible for many to do.

Reply by ThaliaRay_FL on 9/29/06 10:06am
Msg #149252

Re: Think Big Picture

I agree that one effect would be the big guys would listen to us but there would be less of us to listen to... alot of the NSA I know and see online would be out of business if they did not get work for 30 days.
JMHO

Reply by Poppy on 9/29/06 11:47am
Msg #149267

I'm not sure it's wise to draw that much attention to the issue. We may be seen as not wanting to be held to the standards of GLB and IMO the BG checks are the least of the standards they could be holding us to. If we were ALL to manage to close down for 30 days and this did cause turmoil in the industry and other industries affected by ours the media would get involved.
Lets see how it could play out.

Notaries across the nation refuse to fork out $50 (or $100 or whatever the price is.) in order to take the steps to comply with the GLB act. A federal mandate to protect the sensitive information of borrowers files that they come in contact with.
These notaries are privy to sensitive borrower information and are not held to the same strict standards as their industry counterparts. (ie, inhouse notaries).
I don't think it will play out well for us, and I think it may cause a push for us to be held to all the guidelines of GLB.

Maybe not but I think it is worth consideration...

Reply by Dale Simmons on 9/29/06 12:23pm
Msg #149279

Poppy - You misunderstand my issue. Let me lay it out.
1. I Certified through AP
2. Being a CA notary already had my background check to become a notary.

Under the new mandate my AP certification would not be recoginzed and I would have to pay out the money to become NNA certified.

I've met the background requirements through the state of California. Why should I have to do it again?

Simple answer here- Provide NNA my AP certification (2006) and I required take a NNA (no Charge) online exam to have the AP Certification revised to a NNA Cert. Fair???

For NP'S in states where no background is required - I agree But for states who require a background check to become a NP the NNA Data base would reflect (NP's in CA, XX, XX have met that requirement) Problem Sloved!

D

Reply by Poppy on 9/29/06 12:31pm
Msg #149281

Sorry Dale! I guess there are a lot of issues here and many

many valid points... I guess we really will have to wait and see how it all pans out....
"smiles" Poppy

Reply by John_NorCal on 9/29/06 10:42am
Msg #149257

Boycotting the NNA is the better alternative.......

and if this whole thing comes to pass, I'm in favor of having a choice. I would rather have a program such as that proposed by Harry [NR]

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 9/29/06 10:17am
Msg #149255

Speaking of the "Messenger"...

...your desire that "not one single Notary signs up for the NNA program" will most certainly go by the wayside if history is any guide. If one of our "brethren" is up for NNA 2007 Notary of the Year (and I can only imagine how that came to be), has spoken at previous NNA annual conventions (most recently last year), & has consistently defended (or at least deflected criticism of) NNA's practices on this & other boards...it's almost a slam dunk this individual will be among the first to sign up.

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/29/06 3:27pm
Msg #149340

Re: Speaking of the "Messenger"... Dennis -

Dennis - I think Bob's just "wrong," but an otherwise a good guy who says what he thinks about an organization he finds useful.

Clearly, I have no use for them; and, clearly Bob and I do not agree about this point on notaryland....but, I don't think that Bob's position on this will benefit him materially...do you?

If so, why? I don't see the connection....other than he sees the NNA as a useful vehicle for whatever reason.

On the other hand...I see them as the root of all....oh, nevermind, you guys already know this big gripe I have about them.

Smile

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/29/06 5:42pm
Msg #149365

Re: Speaking of the "Messenger"... Dennis - Oh goodness

I didn't mean Bob is "wrong" about everything...I was "gigging" him about the NNA...it came out wrong. Bob is right about signing agent issues. Whew...needed to clarify that.

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/29/06 11:14am
Msg #149261

Shut up, quit whining and get a life

This is a business, not a union job.

Your clients have a new requirement that's gonna cost some money. Some of your competitors are casual and the expense is gonna thin the heard.

HALLELUJUA!

The true pros will either get the price or the volume to pay the bill.

What's not to like?

Reply by Pamela on 9/29/06 1:39pm
Msg #149297

Gary, Re: Shut up, quit whining and get a life

I beg to differ.

Because notaries and signing agents are not organized into one large national
cohesive powerful group, it creates division and turmoil. Of course there are local
"networks" here and there, but nothing to the magnitude of a political powerhouse.

For example, The National Association of Realtors and the California Association of Realtors both have thousands of members. Because of this, Realtors have a strong political lobby and voice when it comes to regulatory issues such as this one.

Pam

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/29/06 11:44am
Msg #149266

it's real simple...

either sign up or don't. It's your business, if you don't want to work for these companies, you don't have to. How easy is that?

Reply by Charles_Ca on 9/29/06 12:12pm
Msg #149275

I really don't understand why everyone is so upset over this

The NNA is the only one saying anything about this, not one else is, I don't see a real requirements anywhere and everyone is just getting bent. I'm not going to worry about it until it hapens, if it ever does. The NNA has been trying to get everyone to join the Enjoa brigade for years and I still don't see it as a viable system and only PA has accepted anything similar and that's hardly mandatory!

Reply by BetsyMI on 9/29/06 2:52pm
Msg #149325

Re: I really don't understand why everyone is so upset over this

I emailed one of my biggest customers about this and they haven't even replied to tell me what they are planning to do....probably because it's the first they've heard of it and have no idea what they're going to do.

If we have to get a CBC "somewhere", I just hope I don't have to pay the NNA for one that is accepted by some, and pay NotRot for another that is accepted by others, and then still have to pay someone else to accomodate the rest and maybe not all.

It seems to me that the local SOS (government) offices should be handling the CBC so that any interested entity requiring a CBC would have one resource to go to, and people like us would also only have to go one place to get what we need.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 9/29/06 3:02pm
Msg #149331

In CA the Depratment of Justice does backgrounds and I

have requested information from them about the extent of the checks and if they will certify. I would think that a government certification should satisfy a governement requiremnt. Of course when he government is invovled logical thought isn't necessarily appreciated.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.