Notary Discussion History

Someone I mentored mirrored my company name, any advice? n/m
Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by paaz on 9/21/06 9:20am
Msg #147420

Someone I mentored mirrored my company name, any advice? n/m

Reply by Jersey_Boy on 9/21/06 9:30am
Msg #147422

Re: Someone I mentored mirrored my company name, any advice?

Mirrored? How close is the name? Did you ask/confront them about it?
Are they in your direct competition area?

Reply by Teddog/CO on 9/21/06 9:32am
Msg #147423

Paaz, have you contacted them ? If you did, do they know it's NOT a good idea to plagiarize your mentors' information. Also suggest that you register your business name with the county and state.

What's happening to you is one reason I would not "mentor" anyone unless they are at least 100/miles away. Some people have no scruples when it comes to doing business, they just take the easiest route they can find.

My best to you.

Reply by paaz on 9/21/06 9:35am
Msg #147425

They added one word, reliable. My name is trademarked and it is a limited liability company. There happens to be a limited liability company (according to my mentoring) as well.

Reply by paaz on 9/21/06 9:36am
Msg #147426

So sorry for the typo, I am angry I can hardly see straight.

Reply by LkArrowhd/CA on 9/21/06 9:47am
Msg #147428

Re:Paaz-----Sorry to hear that, what a dirty dog they turned

out to be.....well vent all you want here....

Reply by Kathy Fletcher on 9/21/06 9:51am
Msg #147429

Re: Re:Paaz-----Sorry to hear that, what a dirty dog they turned

Thank you, it just hurt, I really gave them a cheap mentoring fee and even gave them some client's names and phone numbers to get them started.

Reply by Kathy Fletcher on 9/21/06 9:52am
Msg #147431

Thx so kindly for the support have a great day!!! n/m

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/21/06 10:39am
Msg #147461

Old Irish Blessing...

Never mind wind at your back and all that crapola (that's Hollywood)...

May the Lord Bless them that bless us...
And break the legs of them that don't.

Give 'em 6 months with those kinda ethics and they'll be gone like last week's paycheck.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 9/21/06 11:15am
Msg #147475

No good deed goes unpunished according to my attorney friend n/m

Reply by MelissaCT on 9/21/06 9:57am
Msg #147438

Re: Re:Paaz - Lesson learned??

Mentoring can be great, but you really went above & beyond the mentor when you gave away your clients' information. That's a hard lesson to learn...

Reply by Ali/IL on 9/21/06 10:07am
Msg #147441

Re: Re:Paaz - Lesson learned??

We have to be careful the more competition the less we have.

My packages have to be received by the receptionist in my building. I don't want to get into details right now.

Anyway, it's like everytime I go down to pick up packages she will ask me questions regarding my work. I don't want to disclose too much. But, she certainly can get info off of the packages.

I especially don't want to lose one company that has kept food on my table.

Paaz, you where too generous. I would not mentor someone so nearby. I tend to be too enthusiastic about my work. Sometimes when people ask me I am too excited. I need to answer in a way that won't give them too much to go on.

Reply by Dale Simmons on 9/21/06 10:49am
Msg #147465

answer in a way that won't give them too much to go on.

Amen!

Reply by Dorothy_MI on 9/21/06 1:14pm
Msg #147502

Two things

Firstly, I believe it was Sylvia (sorry if I'm crediting it to the wrong person) when someone asked her how much she made answered -- "There are some companies that will pay as much as $35"Wink I'd also volunteer "And I pay all my own expenses".

Secondly, something very similar happened about a month or so ago to someone else, they just added one word to their name. Not sure there is anything you can do about it, the state accepted the corporate name, but I'd use this as an advertising advantage and mail to ALL my repeat customers telling them that a new inexperienced notary has registered a name similar to your and to please not confuse your quality work, knowledge and experience with a new untried, inexperienced signer. (the wording is just off the top of my head, but I think you get the jist of what I'm trying to convey) Use this lemon to make lemonade!

Reply by Rebecca/CA on 9/21/06 3:06pm
Msg #147546

Re: Two things

That is great advice. I have done mentoring for only one person in the past. They never did do well in the business (not even one signing) so she went back to her original profession as a librarian and we are still friends so I got pretty lucky.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 9/21/06 12:25pm
Msg #147489

Since your company name is trademarked...

if you haven't spoken with her, then talk with her and let her know it is trademarked and she is in violation of the trademark you have. Let her know that if it is not changed immediately that you will contact your attorney to handle it. If you don't have an attorney, then contact a trademark attorney to at least write her a letter of violation and what the repurcussions are.

Reply by Kate/CA on 9/21/06 11:02am
Msg #147470

Have you talked to them?

Reply by Genkichan on 9/21/06 11:35am
Msg #147477

Sorry about your misfortune. Perhaps you might consider reevaluating your contractual agreement that you have with people whom you mentor. A good contract would prevent this from happening. Without one, I'm not sure there's too much you can do....sorry I'm not more help!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.