Notary Rotary
Swiftview is evil.
Notary Discussion History

Swiftview is evil.
Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by millcreek/WA on 9/17/06 1:34pm
Msg #146609

Swiftview is evil.

I searched this forum for past messages regarding e-docs that demand the use of Swiftview, and see that many others have experienced great frustration with it.

I have to say; why doesn't every business use Adobe Acrobat? It's not that expensive to buy the full version to create PDFs, and it's gotta be cheaper than whatever they spend to set up the Swiftview system and utilities.

The worst thing about Swiftview, in my opinion, is that it REQUIRES a PCL printer. Some of us have PostScript printers, which are quite nice, thankyouverymuch, and for any company in this day and age to *rely* upon a program/service that is limited to PCL is just nuts, particularly when we are all dealing with time-sensitive documents.

Acrobat docs can be viewed and printed from either Mac or Windows, to whatever printer you have; it should be a freakin' standard for businesses to use it for all e-docs.

Reply by Pam/MS on 9/17/06 3:10pm
Msg #146614

Re: Swiftview is evil - sometimes.

Sometimes I have good luck with it but the last edocs I had with Swiftview took FOREVER to download and then it took me an hour to print. I have a pcl printer. It took such a long time to download that I saved them, the smart thing to do was print from the saved version but I didn't think of that until later.

Reply by Dave_CA on 9/17/06 3:37pm
Msg #146620

Re: Swiftview is evil - sometimes.

All the advice give here, and elsewhere, tells you that you need a PCL compliant printer if you are serious about edocs.

Why would you expect the lender/title Co./ SS to change from a very good system, that works well for them, just to cater for someone who does not have the necessary equipment? Or to go through an extra step and convert the docs to pdf, again just for those who don't have the correct printer.
This is really the" tail trying to wag the dog".

I generally prefer the docs to be delivered as Swiftview or DocMagic because they normally print faster. Especially when someone has scanned them and created an image based pdf. Now you have something that can take forever to print. If you do encounter this problem switch to using the pcl5 driver rather than the pcl6. You can also do a search here as there has been a lot of excellent advice.

At the end of the day you will need a pcl compliant printer for many edoc packages.

Reply by VickiWA on 9/17/06 3:25pm
Msg #146616

Any solutions to this problem?

I have had good luck with swiftview. Prints fast and easy but I have had Acrobat Reader PDF files not open. A window pops up saying THERE WAS AN ERROR OPENING THIS DOCUMENT. THIS VIEWER CANNOT DECRYPT THIS DOCUMENT. (not shouting here, just emphasising messege) I had a siging with 17 attachments and 4 would not open. The SS printed them and faxed them to me. Any solutions to this problem? Thank you.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 9/17/06 3:50pm
Msg #146622

Re: Any solutions to this problem?

Are you updated to the latest version of Adobe Reader?

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 9/17/06 3:49pm
Msg #146621

Well I do feel your pain, but if you search Acrobat, you will also find that there is a great deal of frustration on it also. Maybe I have been lucky, but I have never had a problem with Swiftview, even when I first started and was using an HP1012. But then again, sometimes, you make your own luck. Brother printers are PCL compliant and very inexpensive for what you get. And they are a workhorse. I decided long ago, I was not going to have any problems and researched all the document readers and keep them updated to the latest release. I also keep Windows updated. When I have gone over to someone's house to help them with a problem,requently, I find the computer loaded with spyware that conflicts with some of the programs and uses a lot of bandwith. If you keep your kids (MY Space users) off of your busines computer, you will find things go much smoother. Don't know if this would help you, but it's something I found our early in my Windows era.

In this world, nothing is standardized. Go into different retail stores and you find many different kind of key pads and computer systems. There are several different kind of ATM's in use today. Fuel pumps are different at the various fuel stations, different cars have controls and radios that work different not to mention cell phones, yet I bet that you learned to use all of those. Banks and finance companies have their favorite way of doing things that work best for their business. My business strategy for this business was to be able to accept anything that comes down the wire and be able to print it. It took some research and work, but about 1/2 my new business is because the last notary they tried to hire couldn't figure out how to download the documents (Elynx, Desert Docs and yes, Swiftview to name a few). So the more you can do without a problem, the more business you will do as when an escrow company says "can you do Desert Docs?" you can say "I can do that!"

Reply by DEvans/CA on 9/17/06 4:32pm
Msg #146625

Hi I am new to all this. When I took the notary class and loan signing class I never thought about how computer savvy I would have to be. The classes touch on the subject and there is some references in the back of the notebook they give you, but not as much detail about different programs you need to know. You here about edocs but don't realize just what that entails to be successful at doing them. I have found a lot of information here and luckily my husband is computer literate. We have a mac and some of the programs that the loan companys use are not available for the mac. I am currently researching what the mac user useses. I just got my laser printer. I had to turn down two jobs because I did not have one. Then, of course; as soon as I get one the next job I get they overnight them to me.LOL

Reply by Ndwa on 9/17/06 5:15pm
Msg #146632

Don't know if you're venting or just commenting on the issue in general, either way, thank you for posting. Don't know where in WA you're in, but it just goes to say that there's one less competitor for me (if you're in my neck of town) b/c your client(s) can count on me as a service provider who can meet their demand. While on the subject here, some of my TC clients have responded to my request to only send edocs in their raw pcl format rather than pdf (they saved time by not having to print then scan to pdf).

Reply by VickiWA on 9/17/06 6:54pm
Msg #146643

Andy

We are not competitors if you were refering to me. I solved the problem. Printing in never a problem it was opening the attachments and it only happened one time.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 9/17/06 8:32pm
Msg #146658

Unfortunately, to keep up, you will need to get a PC

or upgrade to the MAC that uses the Intel chips and can run windows as everything is slanted to windows. I started on a MAC way back when they had 64k of memory up until a few years ago. As time went on, I got frustrated on the extra cost of everything and the limited choice of software and bought a pc. Apple tried to break into the grocery business several years ago. I was managing a test store for a major chain Apple was trying to sell their software and computers to. It was a total disaster. Apple owns video and photos and music but busniess uses pc's.

Reply by VickiWA on 9/17/06 4:54pm
Msg #146630

Glen you are my hero...

I downloaded the latest version of Adobe and there it is , the docs I could not get. I am so so happy. Thank you, you saved the day.

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/17/06 5:41pm
Msg #146633

"Acrobat docs can be viewed and printed from either Mac or Windows, to whatever printer you have; it should be a freakin' standard for businesses to use it for all e-docs."

You've got it backwards. The freakin standard for THIS business is to have a PCL complaint printer. An investment of a couple hundred bucks can create a profound increase in business.

Reply by Roger Kennedy on 9/17/06 6:50pm
Msg #146642

Re: Swiftview is evil. PCL is FAST!!!!

I just love PCL, I can fully utilize my HP printer and it will print at its maximum speed of 40 pages per minute!!! You should see how my two drawer printer flies as it prints!!!

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 9/17/06 10:09pm
Msg #146662

What is the HP machine that prints 40 pages per minute?

I know you need a PCL 6 to download all the docs and I learned the hard way when I gave a Brother away 5 years ago that probably wasn't PCL compliant.

I recommend in my class the Brother 8460 Multi Function Machine as a great buy ($399).
One question: Can the refill toner kits be used to fill the Brother machines?

Reply by Kate/CA on 9/17/06 11:52pm
Msg #146664

Re: What is the HP machine that prints 40 pages per minute?

I have refilled my 8440 toner, I also have an 8870DW also, still on its first cartridge. Love them both.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 9/18/06 12:48am
Msg #146666

I not trying to be difficult here

I thought the Brother Multi Function 8440 only printed approx. 19 pages per minute?
Is it the 8870 DW that prints 40 pages per minute and I don't know what brand a 8870DW is?

Reply by Stringer_CA on 9/18/06 1:35am
Msg #146667

Re: What is the HP machine that prints 40 pages per minute?

It is the HP 4250 that prints 45 pages.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/17/06 8:37pm
Msg #146660

I agree with those who said you've got it backwards. One reason so many companies use utilities like Swiftview is for security. Many of the PCL programs send directly to your printer or allow less access to the documents. Conversely, it would be very easy to forward an Adobe attachment to a third party increasing potential abuse or identity theft. They make decisions on how to transmit documents for reasons that are important to them - not for our convenience!

Reply by millcreek/WA on 9/18/06 1:01pm
Msg #146770

Janet, thank you for bringing up the security issue. I had not taken that into consideration. Still wish they could print to non-pcl printers, at least as an option. I use mine for other business which requires PostScript, but I think I found one that will handle the pcl issue. Still, the security issue is what I had not considered, and I thank you for that information. Smile

Reply by PAW on 9/18/06 7:12am
Msg #146676

DISCLAIMER: I have not read this thread, so the information that I am posting may be a repeat.

The major drawback to PDF is that the files are not secure. To ensure information is properly protected (and not by some easily hacked password scheme), the file and data contents must be secure (e.g., encrypted). PDF files are by definition widely accepted and "portable". That in and of itself is the problem. These files should be completely encrypted and secured from the moment of creation (as the title company or lender) and remain so throughout the life of the file (which should also be self deleting).

PostScript is not the industry standard that it used to be for text documents. PS carries a big overheard. PCL has taken over the top spot for common use. Besides that, a file/utility that is sent as RAW PCL to a PCL compliant printer will print at a much faster rate than those sent as PostScript.

As for requiring certain equipment for an industry is far from nuts. How would you like it if there were no requirements on materials used for the seat belts in your car? Or how they were installed? (Maybe that's a poor example, but hopefully, you get my point.) I think there should be and support an industry standard for using PCL and PCL compliant printers. If you can't obtain and use the equipment of the industry, then maybe you should be in a different line of work.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.