Notary Rotary
Texas NSA Network - Response and Network Method Info
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by BrendaTx on 9/13/06 10:09am
Msg #145731

I said I was done on trying to explain networking, however, Bob's mention of networking "helter-skelter" has stung some of those in my network. Got a call on it, and a few emails this morning. Frankly, I just kind of overlooked Bob's post as not understanding, but the thread went on to imply we are helter-skelter in his later posts.

Since this has my/our name attached to it, I am going to defend it for them on the behalf of all of those on our brochure.

Let me explain to you that we are not a bunch of ignorant bumpkins doing willy-nilly networking and marketing.

First, let me address Paul's remark about number of notaries in my area vs. his - it is moot in my opinion. Here is why:

1. In Texas, we are not like you in Florida, or in California. We will never have as many signings in the state which notaries are able to be called for and handled. Hence, the number of notaries per mile has to be mitigated in part by that fact--if that even had anything to do with it. It really does not. (See #2.) [If you care to understand why the number of loans is lower, read this. Otherwise skip the part here in the [ ] 's.

a. Part of this is because of the fact that we never were able to have a 2nd mortgage on our homes until 1997 and the attitude is very conservative about chipping away at home equity.

b. Part of this is because our equity loans have to be closed in certain places. Most equity loan work is done in this area by University Title or Lawyer's Title. Period. ]

2. The main reason this comment is moot is because our network is limited and based on territories around Texas. Membership was created based on first come, first serve, as long as the first comers are team players and do not constantly poke problems into the mix. It's not fun to make decisions which are not popular, but sometimes it is very necessary for the good of the network. It takes awhile to get a good group.

The leader should be a map of the state divided up into counties. Go here to get a state/county map.
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/county_outline.html

You look at other notaries in your state you find to be professional. Divide territories up around them and get your network set up around them.

If you want to do this quickly, you might have to invite more than one per area because like Bob Rogers, some will blow a gasket when you ask them to bring contacts to the table. First come, first serve. Nothing to offer+no work = no membership.
====
Next, to Bob, we are not a bunch of helter-skelter networking bimbos. It's rude to imply that.

This has been a lot of hard work. You nay-say...yet, you are a part of the NotaryCooperative.com are you not? Our premise is much like that one except that I have heard that the old adage that 20% did 80% of the work was the case. That's not acceptable in our statewide network. And, one reason this is more effective is because not all lenders work the entire country's states. Sharing contacts within a state is much more effective IF you can get your members to really CARE about doing work, going to the country recorder's office (see why at http://www.texas-signing-agent.com/free-notary-book/chapter5.htm) and getting REAL contacts to market to.

We have carefully collected a working group by trial and error to establish ourselves as an elite group who markets together, covers each other's backsides as best as possible and who *understand* this concept. Sometimes, at the beginning, it was like herding frogs, or herding cats. Near impossible. Finally, a group was established that works together. There are lots of those who want to be on the inside, but do not want to do anything to share or give. To those, the leader must say "good-bye." And, that's no party.

I am getting $150 today to go close one of these five miles from me in a lender branch. No edocs. I just go in with my stamp and get 'er done. This is because of the degree of professionalism established by creating an elite group to associate yourself with. It earns respect. I am not afraid to say this because my clients believe in paying this much for quality service. My competition is not a worry to me. Our network is requested by LO's for the bulk of our business. I am not bragging, either. I am trying to get it across to people that there is a $150 closing fee there. Now, why the heck are you taking $75??? Network yourselves and become as handy as a signing service!!

The feedback and comments I have received from Financial Freedom and Wells Fargo Rev Mort LO's has been so gratifying, you would not believe it. What it boils down to is "THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!"

Charles Ca has asked me to outline the process.

1) Group up on a map, as stated above, the ones you want to be in your group. You might not be able to get them all into your network. You may have to make tough choices. http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/county_outline.html and make territories around them.

2) Make a "meeting place." (Yahoo, googlegroups, topica, etc.) Invite the group to network in it. Cull the naysayers immediately. You do not have time to fool with a lot of negativity.

3) Set up a good, strong, set of criteria for membership. (100+ signings, must guarantee their work, must refer, must have a willingness to share contacts.)

4) Create a website.

5) Create a brochure.

6) Set marketing goals. (Each contacts 5 per week and so forth.)

7) Set requirements for giving feedback and make sure every single member is so committed to the network that they can respond to the leader's email in 24 hrs. If not, they are not reachable for business. It's all in setting priorities. If the network is not a priority to at least that extent, they are not network material. How are they at taking orders if they cannot answer an occasional email from the network within 24 hrs.

THE LEAST a person can do is to email me back and say, "hey, I'm busy...will respond later." It's arrogant to ignore emails from people for days at a time. When I don't hear from one of the network members in a week, I know they are having problems in some area of their life. When I do not respond to an email, it's because it was an oversight. It happens, but it means something is not right. (Yesterday, a gal called me who had not received her RM book alerted me that my paypal.com account was not sending my notices to the right email address, for instance.)

In our network, there are not more chefs than there are cooks. We are very, very close, we all trust each other and we all work @sses to elbows for the good of all of us. That is the ONLY way it works.

Right now, it's working great. Each state will have to tailor their network to their own needs.

I see excellent results for Michigan, Alabama, Virginia, parts of California, Florida, Oklahoma, and Arkansas.

In parts of Ca and Florida, there are challenges to finding notaries, I am sure. This is where you can really shine if you will work for it.

Make a niche if you are rural and bring together all those who are out there, but very disconnected. That's what I did and we love it. My Rio Grande Valley man is ever so important. So is my Lubbock gal. So is Deep East Texas, North Texas, and me, the Brazos Valley person.

You must get to know your state's nuances and the pattern of things.

For whatever reason, I cannot write it all out in the succinct outline Charles has requested, but hopefully, this puts a more favorable face on the Texas NSA Network than this silly "helter-skelter" remark made by Bob Rogers.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 9/13/06 10:36am
Msg #145736

Brenda, I have seen networking really work, and thank you for sharing this information with all of us.
As a medical adminitrator, I put a similar plan in place for our surgery clinics.
The docs were skeptical at first, afraid that by "giving away" contacts and clients, it would be a sure loser.
After they saw the increased revenues and referrals we received as well as "gave away"
(30%+ in 6 months time), it became company policy and I received a heck of a raise-deserved I must add. It wasn't easy to accomplish, a lot of work and some kissing up, but their taking the risk was much to their advantage.
I hate to see excellent NSA's get left behind, but this isn't for everyone.
Bob and Paul are both respected members of the NSA community, with high standards I emulate. I am just sorry they are not convincible and won't be part of the network. Frown
Best wishes to both of them.

Reply by cassiewi on 9/13/06 10:37am
Msg #145737

I just wanted to commend you on what you have done with your network and taking the time to help others. I am not "network" material just yet for a few reasons and I know it, but I think it's an incredible idea with many benefits. What your network has accomplished is great.

PS

Hope you're feeling better this morning and spending less time with "punkin".

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/13/06 10:46am
Msg #145740

Yes, Punkin' is almost back to being a fixture. LOL.

If others decide to create network groups I'll be glad to help field a few of the hard questions, but the concept is so simple...it's just getting the point across. I might sound like I really pound on a few points but those are the ones that people had trouble getting in the beginning.

It has to be remembered that not everyone is an entrepreneur...they really just want to pay for a listing and move on to wait for calls.

That's why many think I am so weird...I think way outside of the box.

At one time, people would email me and tell me I should never list NR on my website...as well as MANY others.

Why would I?

a) not any competition at the time.
b) it was a page that drove much traffic to my site. You could find a notary from my site for anywhere.
c) I was remembered as time went on.

I think very fast and very outside of the norm. Not always good, but it works for me.

Reply by cassiewi on 9/13/06 11:02am
Msg #145745

Glad to hear you're feeling better. I don't think it's weird at all. I think it's great and to see it working gives me hope for the future. I'm not ready to go outside the box yet, but that's just me, I tend to be a worry wart. I have just now started to think about marketing instead of just waiting for the calls to come in. It took me awhile, but hey I'm getting it. Funny thing is, last month was the best month I had since taking on this adventure and that was when I started reading this board, researching, getting more organized and sticking to my new fees. I've said it before, but I am so glad I found this forum.

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/13/06 11:05am
Msg #145746

Cassie, I'd go ahead and think on the network thing even if you fall a little shy of the criteria. Time passes...it takes a long time from the first attempt at doing this until you are really ready for coming out as a group.

Reply by cassiewi on 9/13/06 11:15am
Msg #145747

I'll do that. Thanks Brenda!

Reply by Charles_Ca on 9/13/06 11:31am
Msg #145749

Nice post Brenda! I respect Paul also and I respect you as

I have said numerous times I like people who do things and both you and Paul fall into that category. I know that Paul has some issues with cutting out SSs and I ran into that about a year ago when I was basically told by Paul that the system was what it was and to work with it (paraphrased) and he is certainly entitled to his opinion and I respect his opinion even though I disagree with it. The situation yesterday was nothing more than a tempest in a teapot inspired by that 24 karat gold plated Boob who decided he was going to make an issue of a private post. I have no idea what prompted the posting but the posting and the subsequent retorts were some of the most inane and childish drivel I've had the misfortune to see lately.

I know that Brenda's system works, I have seen other networks develop and I know that some of the individuals starting networks have all the tools to succeed. Yes I asked Brenda to outline how she did her network to service a guide in the networks starting. Brenda graciously accepted and I believe gave a great gift to the future of NSA's and while it might not be for everyone there are elements that can be used by most. The Texas network struck me as a well thought out system that had elements of the marketing orders used in agriculture, and used most successfully for many years. There are always detractors whenever anyone tries top do something. There were detractors when Robert Fulton launched his steam drive river boat, there were detractors when the Wright Brothers took off at Kitty Hawk, there will always be detractors, fortunately for us not everyone listens to them. One needs to keep in mind that there are three kinds of people, those whomake things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who say "what happened," I know who I like to associate with, so lets get out there and make things happen!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.