Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Thought I'd share this post from *another* site...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Linda_H/FL on 9/28/06 10:14am
Msg #149031

Found this a little bit ago - the author shall remain "She Who Shall Not Be Named"...

There are 6 standard types of background checks determined by the number of years researched ie. 3, 5, 10, 15, 20, lifetime. They all vary in price. The lender and the title company will have to comply with the regulations. They will notify the signing agent of thier requirements.

BEST ADVICE....do not pay NNA, NotaryROT, ANY signing service etc. to do this as you will get ripped off my a third party vendor who has no idea what they are doing. Only to spend your money then find out that the lender requires a different type of check.

Thought Harry should see this if he hasn't already..

Anyone having governmental clearance should update thier security info so that you can include it ie. all census employees have a background screening and are given a minimum level clearance. It goes to your credentials and you should state it on the Background Investigation Form.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/28/06 10:15am
Msg #149032

Re: Blah - 2 cents in wrong place - revised..

Found this a little bit ago - the author shall remain "She Who Shall Not Be Named"...

There are 6 standard types of background checks determined by the number of years researched ie. 3, 5, 10, 15, 20, lifetime. They all vary in price. The lender and the title company will have to comply with the regulations. They will notify the signing agent of thier requirements.

BEST ADVICE....do not pay NNA, NotaryROT, ANY signing service etc. to do this as you will get ripped off my a third party vendor who has no idea what they are doing. Only to spend your money then find out that the lender requires a different type of check.

Anyone having governmental clearance should update thier security info so that you can include it ie. all census employees have a background screening and are given a minimum level clearance. It goes to your credentials and you should state it on the Background Investigation Form.

Thought Harry should see this if he hasn't already..

Reply by Teddog/CO on 9/28/06 10:40am
Msg #149036

Re: Blah - 2 cents in wrong place - revised..

Linda,

I have to agree with you. Most of us carry $100k or better in E&O insurance. Licensed by the state (trust me they check your background.) Everytime you give a company your SS number your life becomes an open book. My opinion only, but I am getting angry about all the (prove who you are folks) imposing on My privacy. My opinion only , but I think everyone in the world already knows a way to much about us. The reason they know so much about us, we are not jail birds or terrorist. Just plain old hard working run-of the mill Americans. Sure, if a company wants to run a background check on me they sure are free to do so far as I'm concerned. Nothing exciting in my background , just work - go home - see the buddies whenever I get a chance. Reality check ! Anyone can get on the web and learn your life story in 15 mins or less, including where you live and what your home looks like and the layout of the interior.
As clear thinking adults , everyone should be concerned about their personal information.

My last word on this! "Who is going to guard the "guard dogs." Brave New World.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/28/06 10:43am
Msg #149037

Re: Just to be clear Ted

This is NOT my post - I found this post elsewhere - wanted to share it with others here and with Harry, especially in light of the direct reference to NotRot.

Reply by Teddog/CO on 9/28/06 10:50am
Msg #149039

I need more Coffee Linda !

Sorry ! Guess I'm all "fired up" this morning. I'm not slamming Harry or anyone, just a little fed-up with security stuff. lol I worked selling lines/loans for years @ Norwest Direct and there has always been excellent security measures in place . You would think it was just a given in the equation.

Reply by Teddog/CO on 9/28/06 10:54am
Msg #149042

Re: I need more Coffee Linda !

Forgot to add. I also carry a passport (instant clearance.)

Reply by Lisa Prestegard on 9/28/06 10:54am
Msg #149041

Security clearance, etc...

"...all census employees have a background screening and are given a minimum level clearance. It goes to your credentials and you should state it on the Background Investigation Form."

I applied to be a census taker back in 2000 (or '99, can't remember) and was sent a VERY official looking letter telling me "thanks, but no thanks" due to an FBI file and/or issue.
Believe me, I lead a boring life... nothing notable, no protests or flag burnings to my credit/discredit, file my taxes every year on time like a good girl... and I apparently have an FBI file!
But I cleared the State of Florida's background screening for the Florida Real Estate Commission and SOS office when I received my Notary Commission. Go figure.

Reply by Teddog/CO on 9/28/06 10:58am
Msg #149043

Re: Security clearance, etc...

Go figure! Well I better get to work before I get myself in trouble on the board. lol

Have a Great day!

Reply by hcampersFL on 9/28/06 11:42am
Msg #149052

"Found this a little bit ago - the author shall remain "She Who Shall Not Be Named"..."

I would say name the source. This isn't Harry Potter. It was Flaskmac and anyone reading advice from her should take it with a grain of salt and a shot of Tequila.

jmo

Reply by MistarellaFL on 9/28/06 11:45am
Msg #149055

She's just mad

because no one would listen to her bad advice here, and experienced NSA's who would discourage the newbies from adhering to her bad advice.
Spoiled sport!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/28/06 11:49am
Msg #149058

Re: LOL..you guys are too much!!..:).. n/m

Reply by NCLisa on 9/28/06 1:15pm
Msg #149085

A huge problem with background checks

I worked for a law firm that was representing several people that had worked for premeire internet security company that also provided background checks. Well another large company bought out this company, in the process they promised to hire the 20 or so employees from the smaller company if they passed background checks. Well several of the employees didn't pass the checks. The background checks were wrong and misleading. One of the women who was employed with the smaller company and worked there for 5 years, had a prison record according to the background check. In fact, she was supposedly still in a Florda prison while at the same time living and working in the Research Triangle. Several other employees had bogus information show up also.

You never know what you are getting in a background check, while some just go by your social, others add information of other people with like names. If their is a Susan Smith out there committing crimes and they have no photo, finger prints or SS to identify her, then her record may show up on all the other Susan Smith background checks.

If you agree to a background check for a company, DO NOT LET THEM DO A CREDIT CHECK. No matter what they tell you, it DOES effect your credit standings. And your credit is none of their business. Some people along with insurance companies are under the impression that people with bad credit for any reason will either embezzle or burn their houses down, or wreck their cars for the money. What has been proven is people with good credit living beyond their means are the ones that tend to embezzle, steal their own jewelry, wreck their cars and burn their homes down for the insurance money.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/29/06 2:08am
Msg #149178

Re: A huge problem with background checks - slightly OT

These are some really good points. And a great example of why we do need to be concerned about the gradual chipping away at some of our nation's civil liberties. Many people say that they don't care because they have nothing to hide, but we all know of numerous examples of mistakes being made. When it comes to things like Lisa mentioned above, we *should* care (jmo) because the consequences could be very costly - and not necessarily deserved. I sometimes wonder if these background checks might end up doing as much harm as good...

At this point, the only thing I'm certain of related to this issue is that if I have to depend on the NNA to look out for my best interests, I will be very nervous and uncomfortable, to say the least!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.