Notary Rotary
Typo on Grant Deed...
Notary Discussion History

Typo on Grant Deed...
Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by ADM/CA on 9/6/06 12:49am
Msg #143771

Typo on Grant Deed...

Hello everyone, I hope you all had a great Labor day weekend!

Here's the deal... I need to notarize a Grant Deed tomorrow. The husband is adding the wife back in Title with him. I realized that there is a Typo in the wifes last name (wish of course is the same.) This loan is already closed and they just came to me to notarized the document.

What should I do in this case? Have them redraw the GD? or Cross out the name, correct it and have the borrower initial it?

Also, her signature (the Grantee's) does not get acknowledge, Right? Only he's (the Grantor)

Any input will be much appreciated...

Reply by VIP Mobile Notaries on 9/6/06 6:30am
Msg #143799

--Preferably, a new error-free grant deed would be ideal.

--However, a pen-and-ink correction can be made when a minor change is needed in the existing wording of a deed. Some examples are an error in a direction, a distance, or a bearing; incorrect initials or incorrect spelling of the grantor's name; an error in the parcels crossed by the easement. When a pen-and-ink correction is appropriate, take the following action:

--Make the pen-and-ink change by crossing out the incorrect words or numbers and adding above it the correct words or numbers.

--Have the grantor(s) initial and date the deed next to the correction.

Correct, only the Grantor's signature has to be notarized to allow its recordation.

Tony V

Reply by PAW on 9/6/06 11:05am
Msg #143853

Typically, deeds will record with properly executed pen & ink changes. However, do not take it upon yourself to make any changes to the deed. To do so may be construed as UPL. Have the title company either make the change (and reprint the deed) or instruct you to make the changes. If the latter, be sure to document who, what, when in your journal. IOW, contact title for direction and instructions on what to do.

Usually, only the grantor's signature on deeds are acknowledged. However, I have done a few where both the grantor's and grantee's signatures were acknowledged. And once, it was a jurat!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.