Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Would this be conisdered Ambulance Chasing?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Michelle/AL on 9/4/06 9:56pm
Msg #143458

The county clerk's office makes public the names of people who have recently married. I'm thinking at least 70% of those new wives will change their name (being that this is the south). Alabama's name-change form must be notarized before it is turned in to the county clerk's office for processing. Have any of you tried targeting this audience for notary services (i.e., postcard mailer)? My gut is telling me that this might be tacky and inappropriate. It sounds a little like those attorneys who scan the newspapers for accidents and then rush to the bedside of an ailing paatient to get them to sue anybody and everybody. Is my gut right in this instance? What do you think?

Reply by Tina_MA on 9/4/06 10:02pm
Msg #143462

Re: Would this be considered Ambulance Chasing?

I don't think it's ambulance chasing -- you're not trying to capitalize on someone's misfortune.

I would think that many of them would appreciate your postcard and it would be a welcome convenience. Remember, they still have to write all those thank you cards.

Reply by SoCal_Money on 9/4/06 10:07pm
Msg #143463

I thing it would be a good idea to try. If you're going to do it, try being creative with it so it doesn't seem staged . I would try something like a "congratulations on your marriage" card or letter. I would then cover the requirements for your state to have the name change notarized and probably offer some sort of discount when they call as a "wedding gift"

Reply by Ernest__CT on 9/5/06 11:21am
Msg #143550

Nope, just a good idea. But beware ...

... of giving legal advice in the form of "cover[ing] the requirements for your state to have the name change ...."

Reply by MelissaCT on 9/5/06 9:37pm
Msg #143702

Re: Ernest

Did you know that in CT, when your name is changed & you own property in previous name, you are supposed to file a change of name certificate with town/city hall within 30 days (property ownership only). I found out 2 years later when searching the CGS for something completely different.

Needless to say, I've filed mine. Sounds like a good idea, although as a notary, we wouldn't be able to provide the form, only notarize it.

Reply by TonyV on 9/5/06 12:23am
Msg #143485

Michelle,

On the contrary, you would just be targeting your desired audience. Smart marketing is what keeps your business fresh. Try the free postcards at vistaprint.com , they're always giving stuff away for only the cost of shipping.

-Tony V

Reply by BrendaTx on 9/5/06 6:57am
Msg #143501

Michelle, good idea. Not ambulance chasing. It's called "marketing!"

Smile

Reply by Michelle/AL on 9/5/06 12:44pm
Msg #143574

Thanks everyone for your responses. I appreciate it. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.