Notary Rotary
Your'e Gonna Love This
Notary Discussion History

Your'e Gonna Love This
Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by NotaryGirl71 on 9/18/06 5:32pm
Msg #146830

Your'e Gonna Love This

Friday night I adjourned a signing because the co-borrower's middle name did not appear on his ID, however, it did appear on the loan documents. It was late in the evening and I was not able to get a hold of anyone to see if they would be ok with me ONLY notarizing the co-borrower's 1st and last name.

This morning I rec'd an e-mail from the "Escrow Assistant" that said, "It does not matter what the middle name is...all you need to worry about is the 1st and last name on the id...and with only verifying the 1st and last name you should be able to notarize the middle name too"

She then called me and went over this with me again. I explained to her what the California State Notrial Law was...she then said other notaries don't care and do this all the time.

I then explained to her that I do not want to break the law and jeopardize my license.

She was pretty upset with me cause I would not break the law!!!

Reply by Brad_CA on 9/18/06 6:24pm
Msg #146837

You did right NotaryGirl. You remembered that the id may have more information but never less. Good for you. Keep up the good work.

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 9/18/06 7:05pm
Msg #146843

To validate your position..

I am in the business of looking for people to pay debt. I had a guy who is named James E. Doe, He has a son named James E. Doe and a great grandson with the same name of James E. Doe. There is no designate for jr, sr, III. But each middle name is Edward, Ennis, Eloi. I spoke with the Jr. and he said that this name issue has caused him alot of grief. For instance, when his son applied for and received a mortgage, all of his information was attached to this transaction, the title company had to really delve into the preliminary report and credit report to sort it all out.

So do not take for granted that the middle name is what appears on the documents.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/19/06 2:30am
Msg #146892

Re: To validate your position..

Great example of why this is important and why we have the guidelines that we do! Don't you just love the justifications that say "all the other notaries do it..." Reminds me of kids trying to wheedle something out of their parents that is against family rules.

Reply by MelissaCT on 9/19/06 11:52am
Msg #146940

Similarly, I had a bwr that ended up with a collection account on her perfect credit, because the creditor couldn't read the first name of the deliquent debtor. SO, they applied the bad report to everyone with the same last name that had an account with them. What's in a name?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.