Notary Rotary
equipment questions
Notary Discussion History

equipment questions
Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by MasterCloser on 9/23/06 3:25pm
Msg #148111

equipment questions

i saw a response to one of mine something about a printer for the car..how do i do this?
do i need a laptop with wi-fi to do this? would love to respond to those ss's that want a closing in an hour.....and charge them well,,,,,,i do have a life outside of closings,,,,,sons football games for one........so many calls..so little time......i run 2 businesses all by my lonesome,,,,and,,,,,its just tiring sometimes

Reply by Barbara O on 9/23/06 4:02pm
Msg #148119

There are two choices for this. One is to just have a small printer in your car that does copies as well. I have a nice small Lexmark. I use it to make photocopies of ID. THe other is to have a complete mobile office in your car. This would entail having a laptop, wireless internet, as well as a laser printer that can be attached to the laptop. You would also want a power converter so that you could plug your laptop into your vehicle's cigarette lighter.

Reply by Laurie_PA on 9/23/06 4:18pm
Msg #148122

How much does the mobile office go for?

Reply by Ndwa on 9/23/06 8:03pm
Msg #148144

Re: equipment questions-Cost

Atleast $1K +/- depend on what quality of equipment you put in.

Reply by Thalia Ray on 9/23/06 10:53pm
Msg #148172

I have a mobile office and this is my breakdown of cost.

Laptop-had one but if new would be about 700.
Inverter-100 bucks from sams warehouse.
Wifi- 175 initial cost and 80 a month.
HP1020 laser printer-180 at sams warehouse.

I have found that my office on wheels has helped me get those last min closings and to make my service stand out from the others. I am in Fl and here there are NSA everywhere so standing out is a good thing.
Hope that helps a bit on the $ question of setting it up.

Reply by Ndwa on 9/24/06 3:34am
Msg #148180

No offense Thalia, but I think your mobile office is far from the minimum requirement for (last minutes) edocs. You took the cheap route investing in the 2 most important pieces of equipment, which are the inverter and printer. How do you print docs (on the fly) with that printer? What is the rating on your inverter?

<<Laptop-had one but if new would be about 700>>........A newer Pentium3 will do for $300
<<Inverter-100 bucks from sams warehouse>>.......Not PureSine? Potential elec. hazard if not.
<<Wifi- 175 initial cost and 80 a month.>>.......Verizon no initial cost @ $59/mo.
<<HP1020 laser printer-180 at sams warehouse.>>...Non PCL, Max 2MB ram. Last min docs?

Reply by Thalia Ray on 9/24/06 1:21pm
Msg #148243

No offense but when did being a good shopper, looking for deals become a offense?
and for INFO I have done very well with my HP 1020 printer, and my 3 outlet,fan cooled 1500 plus amp inverter.
I do a good business with my little set up and I am happy with it.
IMO do what works for you and understand what works for you may not work for others.

Reply by Barbara O on 9/24/06 10:46am
Msg #148220

Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop - $489 (new, with payment plan of $15/month - comes with wifi card)
Brother HL 2040 laser Printer - 130.00 (20ppm, 2400x600 dpi)
Ultra Power Converter - $40.00 (Internal circuit and cooling fan prevent overheating - has two plugs)

Seriously, it isn't very expensive if you shop around online for the best deals.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.