Notary Rotary
have a quick question
Notary Discussion History

have a quick question
Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Rhonda Skansi on 9/23/06 10:43pm
Msg #148168

have a quick question

Docs were overnighted for a signing that I got through a ss that was cancelled by borrower because she said docs were wrong they are going to be redrawn. The package is huge! Should I return the docs to title in the fedex envelope that was provided or keep them to shred in my little shredder (it should only take an hour or so). What do you do?

Reply by Thalia Ray on 9/23/06 10:46pm
Msg #148169

I have had that problem twice and I asked the SS what they wanted me to do with the docs, one company wanted me to send the unsigned docs back to them while another company wanted me to shred them. I charged them 10 bucks per hundred sheets. Hey wear and tear on the shredder and my time is worth that.

Reply by Brad_CA on 9/23/06 10:47pm
Msg #148170

Rhonda, I would call the SS on Monday and find out what they want to do with them. Some will want them returned, while others will advise you to shred them. But, you should always cover yourself with the SS who hired you.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 9/23/06 10:49pm
Msg #148171

Ask the SS what you should do with them. This is what I've always done and sometimes they say to hang on to them, or return them, or shred them.

Reply by Ndwa on 9/24/06 1:25am
Msg #148176

Re: have a quick question, shredding

I would call the SS for what to do with the docs. I'll never take the time to shred another set of docs after the very first one. It's time consuming and your shredder will definately take a toll with that many pages in one setting, though I have a Fellowes 12 pages heavy duty shredder.

In 1 1/2 yr I have accumulated 1 box of legal & 1 box of letter size junk/trash papers resulted from no-sign, mis-printed, cancelled, etc. I called a local professional docs destruction company earlier this week and they quoted me $5/box.

Reply by Rhonda Skansi on 9/24/06 1:42am
Msg #148179

Thanks guys! Call ss first thing. $5 box not bad. Rather do that then shred for hours.

Reply by Ndwa on 9/24/06 4:09am
Msg #148182

That receipt or certificate of docs destruction will be your ticket to direct business with TC/Lenders for compliance in handling confidential informations. IMO, this is what the NNA proposed $background$ check translated to.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 9/24/06 5:28am
Msg #148183

shredding incl. here at HazMat Waste days

Some of my local municipalities are now providing on-site shredding services at their "HazMat Waste" days (those special days where you bring in paint and old tvs and such). These are usually twice a year, spring and fall - more than often enough for the amount we accumulate.

My guess is this will be the wave of the future, so check w/ your own municipalities to see if they offer it - or to see why they DON'T offer it =)

Reply by sue_pa on 9/24/06 11:33am
Msg #148230

that's cheap. I think ours is $125 minimum here. I've had it done twice now but I had a lot more than 2 boxes. I also get the receipt that says ... whatever ... I figure that's a good thing to have if ever questioned on docs although that's a pretty slim possibility.

Reply by Ernest__CT on 9/24/06 7:25am
Msg #148189

Ask company that hired you. But (stating the obvious) ...

... be certain that you are paid if you are instructed to shred!

Because the signing was cancelled, you are not likely to get paid for the signing itself. If you met with the borrower, be sure to get a trip fee. If you got a phone call, you are very unlikely to get a cancellation fee. In either case, when you ask the "ship or shred" question, be sure to state clearly that you deserve the next signing anywhere near you. Don't moan and complain that they won't pay you a cancellation fee; it won't help.

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/24/06 8:24am
Msg #148197

Everybody sing along... put another log on the fire...

You've got your answer 6 times... call the SS and find out if you should return or DESTROY...

But if it's 200+ pages, why shred? Burn baby burn.

Reply by aatatusko on 9/24/06 3:15pm
Msg #148257

Re: Everybody sing along... put another log on the fire...

Good advice Gary! When my husband handed me three boxes full of various old
statements (store credit, gas, electric bills stapled) paper clips everywhere,
some envelopes with stuff in them that had never been opened and wanted me
to SHRED I thought he is nuts, I waited for him to go to work and started the
fire, it still took along time but at least I didn't have to clear any jams in the machine!
Of course my neighbors probably thought I was nuts (it was April in VA)

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 9/24/06 4:01pm
Msg #148261

Gary ... quick, tell me this ...

Can I turn the addition of a fireplace into a deductible business expense???

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/24/06 4:25pm
Msg #148266

Re: Gary ... quick, tell me this ... n/m

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/24/06 4:26pm
Msg #148268

okay by me! n/m

Reply by VERONICA DESCHANEAU on 9/24/06 9:41am
Msg #148204

It is not for you to decide since

the documents are property of the lender/Title company. You should call the title company to find out what they want you to do with them. Some want them back. Others will ask you to destroy them.

Reply by SharonMN on 9/24/06 10:12am
Msg #148210

Re: Shredding charges

I think that anyone in this business should have procedures and equipment in place to ensure safeguarding of client/borrower information. I would never charge anyone for safe disposal of unused documents.

However, I agree that asking the entity that contracted you what they would like done with the docs is the way to go.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 9/24/06 10:37am
Msg #148215

Why wouldn't you charge Sharon? it is a function of your

service and your services need to be paid for or you won't be servicing long. I am assuming that you bought your own shredder and aren't using your employers'. No wonder the signing companies keep testing the waters, there's no telling what people might give away for free.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 9/24/06 6:19pm
Msg #148273

You said it Charles!!! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.