Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
landsafe title GLB NNA Forcing us to join !
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Diana Kaya on 9/27/06 1:56am
Msg #148710

I received e-mail today from a loan officer that I do business with stating :

(Ladies and Gentlemen:

Under the provisions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Financial Services Modernization Act all notaries that handle loan document
signings must undergo background screening and compliance training.

Effective December 1, 2006 all notary signing agents that wish to do business with LandSafe Title must be enrolled in the
National Notary Association's Notary Signing Agent Certification Program.

Attached you will find a handout that you need to include with your signing packages so your signing agents will have time
to enroll in the program if they wish to continue doing signings for any title/escrow/lender entity.

You may also want to send it to the lenders, Mortgage Brokers, A E's and Processors you work with.

The NNA's website will have a list of all certified signing agents - it will be easy to check your signing agent's status.

Thank you! ) the handout was the NNA's newsletter ( SURPRISE SURPRISE!)

I now have to pay the 70.00 NNA member fee/ 79.00 Signingagent.com fee 149.00 for the "certification" course? It seems the NNA is getting exactly what they wanted!! They are now forcing SA's to join their organization in order to get the work , it's crap!

Reply by Baddad on 9/27/06 11:38am
Msg #148803

Don’t cave on this! Do you work for them, or yourself. Hmmmmm; mo•nop•o•lies
1. Exclusive control by one group of the means of producing or selling a commodity or service: “Monopoly frequently... arises from government support or from collusive agreements among individuals”.
2. Law. A right granted by a government giving exclusive control over a specified commercial activity to a single party.
a. A company or group having exclusive control over a commercial activity.
b. A commodity or service so controlled.
They (SS) must understand we are the professionals in this area. If you meet the requirements to become a notary (State Official) and are a Certified to be a LSA what’s their problem? Anyone hiring my company can ask for credentials and we will gladly provide them with whatever they require i.e. Commission number, E&O, Surety and LSA Certification and certifying agency. But to tell me I must be certified through NNA or it means nothing . . . . . .monopoly. It appears that someone has aligned themselves to line their pockets using a fed mandate and NP’s will again pay. The first time we’re turned down for not having a “NNA” certification litigation will most probably follow. So if this issue becomes a reality guess who’s fees are going to recoup the new requirements?

Oh, by the way the SS want us to conform to lesser fees. . . . . yah right!

Reply by MistarellaFL on 9/27/06 4:20pm
Msg #148897

What are they going to do if few NSA's comply?

I am more on board with Harry.
I could care less about only one large company, I normally do more business with smaller TC's.
And the NNA's certification program is not where I learned the ropes.

Reply by NCLisa on 9/27/06 6:21pm
Msg #148923

I'd email that loan officer back and ask why they think you should pay (and list the fees) that amount of money to the NNA to work for them! Tell them you'd be willing to submit to a background check of their own, but that the GLB does not state that all notaries must undergo screening and compliance training. Then send him a link to the GLB. Sounds like they read the NNA newsletter, and thought what the NNA said was set in stone, not a bunch of crap.

I always wondered why the NNA didn't have notary forums, I guess it is so notaries remain clueless about their business practices.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.