Notary Rotary
question
Notary Discussion History

question
Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by kellieco on 9/9/06 10:57am
Msg #144706

question

This guy calls me adn askes if I can do a purchase. property is in Missouri. borrower in Colorado. Docs are dated yesterday. I said yes I can do it but I can't back date any thing I notarize. He said ok. Sellers signed yesterday. So then a few minutes later another guy calls and says it is a 1st and 2nd. I said what are you going to do about the Deed not being notarized. He said he had a notary in Missouri that knows the borrowers and he will notarize them if I just get them to sign. What do you think is going on?

Reply by Teddog/CO on 9/9/06 11:13am
Msg #144711

Sounds like nothing good! The notary HAS to be present when the bwrs' sign. You First ID them and sign the notary log. Don't stick your neck-out kiddo. We know the rules so follow them. I don't care if it's the Pope. Produce a photo ID , Log it and they must sign in the presence of the notary to be notarized. If you get the signatures , you will have to notarize the documents. End of story.

Reply by kathy/ca on 9/9/06 12:04pm
Msg #144727

Smells fishy but just b/c she shows the BRW where to sign &

doesnt sign or stamp HER seal anywhere, how is she at fault by doing the signing? Sounds like all they are asking her to do is to make sure docs get signed & returned, no?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/9/06 12:26pm
Msg #144733

Re: Smells fishy but just b/c she shows the BRW where to sign &

She knows a fraud is going to be committed - knowing they are getting another notary to do the notarization for someone who isn't in front of them at the time of notarization.
She does not want to be a party, however insignificant, to a fraud.

I have had this happen to me, loan officer just wanting me to get docs signed and sent back for notarization because I refused to backdate. I refused to participate in any way in this.

Reply by kathy/ca on 9/9/06 12:30pm
Msg #144734

Oh, I didnt put 2 & 2 together, missed the obvious. Thx Sylv

for the clear explanation.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 9/9/06 11:15am
Msg #144713

Re: question - am I missing something here?...

Why can't you notarize the DOT? Borrower's are in CO, you're in CO - notarize it!

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/9/06 11:18am
Msg #144714

Yeah, you're missin' somethin'

She's gonna sign it today in Colorado and the crook that called her is gonna notarize it yesterday in Missouri.

Reply by Teddog/CO on 9/9/06 11:23am
Msg #144715

Right Gary!

You get the signatures - you notrize it ! Period !! MO notary can feel free to notarize after that.

Hey ! Do I smell Fish. lol

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 9/9/06 3:38pm
Msg #144785

Re: Yeah, you're missin' somethin'

OK, I was on my 1st cup of coffee when I read this, and I now see what she is saying (with help from the other posts - not feeling too well today) - Heck... I would never sign a document that needs notarized without notarizing it! (for the same day the signer is before me, of course)

Wouldn't touch this signing!

Reply by kellieco on 9/9/06 11:28am
Msg #144717

Re: question - am I missing something here?...

Its one of them-- signing was supposed to be yesterday, they missed the day, so now we need to fudge.

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/9/06 11:32am
Msg #144718

Borrow the Delorean from Michael J. Fox

Otherwise tell 'em that "we" doesn't mean "me".

You're not really thinkin' of ... nah... you wouldn't even... it wouldn't be your stamp on it so maybe you'd get lucky... nah...

Lie down with dogs, wake up with fleas.

Reply by Teddog/CO on 9/9/06 11:35am
Msg #144720

Kellie! Just say no

Just tell the crook take it for a hike. It's your way or the highway-No can do!!! Don't even think about it.

Reply by Teddog/CO on 9/9/06 11:37am
Msg #144721

Forgot to add

"Way don't ya redo the docs Already!"

Reply by kellieco on 9/9/06 11:47am
Msg #144723

Re: Forgot to add

He said that they were going to redo them and drive up here with their own notary.

Reply by kellieco on 9/9/06 11:46am
Msg #144722

Re: Kellie! Just say no

I just called him and told him no. I have been a notary for 3 years and I had never incountered this kind of situation. Thanks for all the fast replys

Reply by Teddog/CO on 9/9/06 11:51am
Msg #144724

Kellie

Kellie

I say "good riddance" to that guy ! Our license is way to important to play those games.

Reply by kellieco on 9/9/06 11:53am
Msg #144726

Re: Kellie

Thank You

Reply by Joan_OH on 9/9/06 1:40pm
Msg #144744

I guess I am reading this wrong....

Why would the buyer's being signing the Deed? The seller would have signed it in Missouri, apparently "yesterday". So if the seller already signed, then the deed has already been signed and notarized.

Are you maybe talking about the DOT?

Ok, I'm in a Mortgage state, so maybe I'm just not getting it. I do plenty of purchases where the seller signs elsewhere and the borrowers sign the date they sign and I notarize for that date. Not all docs are date sensitive. As a matter of fact, some lenders leave the docs undated just for this purpose and we insert the date the borrower signs.

If it was clear they were asking your to backdate or be a party to backdating, you were right to bow out.

Joan-OH

Reply by NCLisa on 9/9/06 3:37pm
Msg #144784

What do you have to do with the deed? If the sellers signed their docs already, they would be responsible for the deed being notarized. The borrowers/buyers do not sign the deed.

The notary does not have to witness a document being signed in every state. Some states allow for some one to sign, then bring the document before the notary and swear it is their sig, others can have witnesses attest that it is the parties signature. Yes, I know that these situations condone fraud, but some states laws do allow for that.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.