you won't believe this....or maybe you will
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2006 Index

Posted by Loretta Reed on 9/21/06 8:07am
Msg #147411

2 closers in my area have gone crazy.
1 mobile closer swatted a borrower's child at the closing table for yelling and screaming in her face. The child was totally rude and out of control so she swatted the kid and the borrowers got up and walked out of the loan office. If I were the parent, I would have strapped the kid in the car and came in and closed my loan. Don't bring kids if you don't absolutely have to. She's nuts for hitting someone else's child. I would have walked out and got the manager if there was going to be violence.

Another closer is traveling around with an arrogant attitude wearing short, t-shirt and flip flops doing closings in the local Barnes and Noble AND doing a closing in a local mortgage company dressed like that. I did a closing for a borrower yesterday and they told me about this girl, they told me her name, she is listed in my area as a closer. They said she was rude and in a rush so they decided not to sign and ended up closing at a local mortgage company that I do closings for.

Shame on you, you know who you are.

Reply by Dale Simmons on 9/21/06 8:12am
Msg #147412

Case in point - This is a profession, we are professionals! If one can't be a professional GET OUT OF THE BUSINESS! You cheapen what my company does! Thanks for the input Loretta.
D

Reply by MistarellaFL on 9/21/06 8:46am
Msg #147419

This is more prevalent than we know, from what I hear from the hiring parties.
Another example of why companies have lowered their fees for NSA's.
Like Forrest's mother said: NSA's are like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get! Smile

Reply by LkArrowhd/CA on 9/21/06 8:27am
Msg #147415

Re:Loretta WOW, what a disgrace to this profession.....these

two closers are......so sad.

Reply by JanelWI on 9/21/06 9:40am
Msg #147427

Re: The other side of the coin is some companies are not

looking for SA's they are looking for as some companies have put it to me...."Just a notary". Then they quote the ridiculous fee of $40 or $50 and want you to drive 20+ miles because all you have to do is notarize one page in the entire loan package. Forget the rest of the cost associated with being in this profession. So some companies do this to themselves by not wanting to pay for a professional. You get what you pay for. This to me also opens the path for notaries, I would not even call them closers as Loretta did, she was being too kind; to behave with arrogance that this is just an easy way to make money.

There are more companies out there also recruiting potential SA's with this same philosophy. Unfortunate for us, but consistency and integrity are the keys to staying long after they fade away. It seems cyclical. When you set out to make money the easy way you don’t spend the time researching the potential prospective endeavor, therefore what do you expect to get out of it? What someone else promises? No, you get out of it just what you put in. Once the work sets in, the luster of easy money fades quickly and so will all those who choose to enter this business that way.

Reply by Poppy on 9/21/06 10:04am
Msg #147440

Swat my kid and the police will be called, not sure if it

would be to take me to jail or her. Not something I would let pass at all... I can't even imagine it...
Although I would never have allowed my child to behave in such a manner either.

Reply by SueW/Tn on 9/21/06 10:13am
Msg #147445

You and I think alike Poppy

Had that been my child there's no doubt the police would have been there, probably to save the SA! Agreed there's no defense for unruly children but then they're only children. SA was totally off base and should be behind bars. If it was that bad she should have adjourned the signing...this is unbelieveable in that she's not behind bars enjoying "3 hots and a cot".

Reply by Poppy on 9/21/06 10:21am
Msg #147450

"3 hots and a cot" Too funny! n/m

Reply by Elizabeth Soliday on 9/21/06 10:36am
Msg #147459

I believe it. It's too easy to get into this line of work. All one has to do is become a notary and sign up on this site. Not even a background check right? Hopefully those notaries will be weeded out because of their performance, a sloppy appearance usually means sloppy work. The notary who assaulted the child should be prosecuted.

Reply by Kate/CA on 9/21/06 11:07am
Msg #147473

Some states have background checks, CA is one of them, must take a class and a test at a testing site.

Reply by Linda_in_MI on 9/21/06 10:39am
Msg #147460

I must come from another time and place

I agree. Notary was totally out of line. And I, like the borrower, would have also walked out of the room . . . straight to the receptionist to call the authorities. I AM A MOTHER AND NO ONE TOUCHES MY CHILD, even if it my child is acting like Satan's spawn.

But then again:
1. First, I would have left the children with a sitter or somewhere other than an office while I was signing loan paperwork
2. If absolutely necessary to bring the kids, I would have brought something to keep them (hopefully) occupied while the "Mom and or Dad" business was handled.
3. My children were brought up in the way that all it took was "the look" from either Mom or Dad and they knew they were out of line. And they also knew they were on thin ice.

I believe in instilling self-esteem and feel-goods in children. But really, now, you also have to balance that with a common sense of what is appropriate and morally right. Sometimes I miss "the good old days".

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/21/06 10:42am
Msg #147463

Don't worry so much about the mom...

When the LO finds out he just lost $10k (maybe his only commission this month, the market is a little icy) because a notary couldn't hack it with a screaming kid, he'll kill her himself.

Reply by Lee/AR on 9/21/06 11:52am
Msg #147478

Me, too. Re: I must come from another time and place

I did one in a home where their 4 yr. old b...b...b... boy was screaming & actually repeatedly hitting his parents with a metal toy truck because he didn't have their undivided attention! I was wondering what the heck I'd do if he decided to hit me! They obviously couldn't--or wouldn't--control this kid. However, before we got to that point, I just got in this kid's face & 'spoke' to him using my best "Mom-look & low Mom-growl voice"...the hitting stopped, but the screaming went on. Parents really do have to set some limits. Nevertheless, I'm NOT condoning hitting someone else's kid.

Reply by JS_MD on 9/21/06 10:40am
Msg #147462

I am the one whom saw her at Barnes and Noble.......... I was geting a coffee and happened to glance over at the tables and could see she was conducting a loan signing. I could not believe her appearance. She looked like she just crawled out of a dumpster behind the building.......filthy stringy hair....stained old ratty t shirt.....dirty jeans and flip lops from the dollar store. It was'nt a pretty site.

Reply by Gary_CA on 9/21/06 11:13am
Msg #147474

got a camera phone?

or just bribe the kid working at B&N $10 for a picture of the next signing.

Reply by Tina_MA on 9/21/06 1:16pm
Msg #147503

I would never hit someone else's child, but I sure would tell them to get their child under control or we'd have to reschedule.

Years ago I was at a signing where the child was completely out of control (trying to rip docs, take them, put food on them, throwing them on the floor and grinding them under his feet). He also kept trying to get a hold of my stamp and embosser. At one point he grabbed my ink stamp and stamped me on the hand before I got it away from him.

What did it for me was the child managed to steal both my ink stamp and embosser and took off. The parents made no move to go after him. I told the parents they had 60 seconds to get them back or I was calling the police.

After that, I informed them that they needed to contol their child, and if they couldn't then they needed to get a babysitter asap or the closing would have to be rescheduled to a time when their "Damien" wasn't around.

At first they didn't seem to believe me, but when I started packing up, they grabbed "Damien" and went into another room. Don't know what they did to him, but I didn't see (or hear) him again that night.

Reply by Elizabeth Soliday on 9/21/06 2:32pm
Msg #147524

Have to comment on the kid piece

Many kids have social/behavioral/autistic problems (including my own) and it's not always the parents' fault. It is very difficult for parents of these children to find child care because of this. (or to otherwise lead a normal life) I like the suggestion that the child sit in the car, perhaps with one parent while the other signs, then switch. There were many other ways to have dealt with this situation.

Reply by Ndwa on 9/21/06 2:40pm
Msg #147534

Re: closer swatted a borrower's child

If I was a borrower, I'd "swatt" 'em right back or call the police and charge her/him for child abuse. Kids are kid, what else would anyone expect them to behave. Hitting them is always so WRONGGGG.

Reply by Loretta Reed on 9/21/06 6:58pm
Msg #147602

Re: closer swatted a borrower's child..kids will be kids...

We'll have to agree to disagree on that comment. All I have to do is look at my children with an "evil eye" and they straighten up. I had one that was ADHD and chose not to put him on any medication. A few spankings and lots of love and now he loves and respects his momma, and he's 18. I don't think that I have had to spank my girls (15 and 10) for probably 3 years.

When they are 2, I expect them to not be able to sit still, but hey, there is nothing that a few crackers and juice cup can't accomplish.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.