Notary Rotary
About posting on other sites. (Repeat)
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2007 Index

Posted by Becca_FL on 4/27/07 6:32pm
Msg #187486

I think this needs to be posted again to answer some questions brought up here today.

Posted by Laura Vestanen of WA on 4/15/07 5:51pm Msg #185343

Please only post on forums that are not connected to a signing service owner.

Forums with frequent posts are heaven for search engine optimation (SEO): getting high ranking on Google, Yahoo, etc searches.

When you post on a forum that has a searchable notary directory to allow title companies, lenders, and individuals to hire a notary directly, you are helping yourself get more direct better-paying work.

Posting on the NotaryRotary forum is a terrific example of helping to boost the Google/Yahoo ranking of a notary directory which gets THE NOTARY direct work.

When you post on a forum owned by a signing service owner, you are helping his SS website getting higher ranking on Google, Yahoo, etc. You are helping the middle man get a cut of the fee you could be getting from a TC or lender directly.

Forums by notary associations without directories and not connected to signing services are fine. This would include MWNA, for example.

I spent over 200 hours last year studying search engine optimization (SEO) so info on my notary services would appear many times on the first page of a Google or Yahoo search. I did a test yesterday. Info on me came up on 7 out of the 10 search results listed on the first page. Yes, I am bragging. But I also want you to know that my information on SEO is solid.

So please don't shoot yourself in the foot by posting on forums connected in any way to an SS. There is a new one out there gaining popularity so beware. The url ends with t.org

Best of luck in your notary career!

Reply by Michelle Smith on 4/27/07 6:40pm
Msg #187491

Becca, please see response below... N/M n/m

Reply by Lisa Prestegard on 4/27/07 6:56pm
Msg #187503

It's like trying to herd cats, Becca

No matter what, some people are just not going to listen. And the more wrong they are, the harder they try to defend their position. They won't believe someone (like Laura) who is well-respected, done their homework and has nothing to gain by telling it like it is.

When I received an 'invite' to that ning social site, I joined. I watched it for a couple of weeks, and once I saw that the owner was associated with Geoff Hickman (formerly of Left Coast Signers, a deadbeat company), I removed my profile. Now, say what you want, but I was raised in the South and down here we have a saying: "If you lay with dogs, you get fleas". They can keep their fleas, thank you.

The owner of that site, which masquerades as a 'happy place where NSA's can socialize and network', is a Signing Service owner. Period. His SS websites are still up and running. Half of his front page/home page is dedicated to singing the praises of the above named and referenced Geoff Hickman, who says he is no longer a SS owner/manager and operates his OWN 'free' site for NSA's.
Coincidence? I don't think so. They're two peas in a pod, those guys. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck!
These guys are bright enough to figure out how to glean $$ from these 'free' social sites. Laura outlines in her post exactly how that is done... hits, and lots of them, translate into $$ due to web presence and ranking.

So, Becca... let's look at this a different way. Let's look at it as a sort of "cleansing" process. Maybe the jackbags, momo's, trolls and kool-aid drinkers will congregate 'round that water cooler and leave the business of being in business as a Notary/NSA to those of us that take it seriously. Notary Rotary is for 'Professional Notaries' (see website header) and those "social" sites are for... well... you get the drift Wink

Reply by Michelle Smith on 4/27/07 7:06pm
Msg #187510

Re: It's like trying to herd cats, Becca

If you are referring to me, personally, I don't think you understood my question.

I've received several P/Ms regarding the subject and several people have web experts working on trying to establish a connection between a social network and a signing service. (It has NOT been established by anyone yet, but they have not finished exploring it yet, either.).

Reply by Becca_FL on 4/27/07 7:16pm
Msg #187515

I'm sending up the Bat signal...Andy, do you care to comment n/m

Reply by James H. Lissemore on 4/27/07 7:23pm
Msg #187518

Micchelle
Have you received an answer to your question? I can't come up with one for you.

Reply by Michelle Smith on 4/27/07 7:37pm
Msg #187533

No, I don't think anyone actually gets my question! I keep explaining it differently each time, but everyone is stuck on signing service thing. I'm trying to figure out how the SOCIAL NETWORK hits affect the hits to the SIGNING SERVICE hits (two seperate websites).

But some are working on it, via PM and I'm hoping to get an answer. Thank you to all who are sticking with me and trying!

Reply by Michelle Smith on 4/27/07 7:39pm
Msg #187535

and please don't let my typos confuse you even more. I'm exhausted after this week!

Reply by MistarellaFL on 4/27/07 7:48pm
Msg #187541

Michelle

I think what you're missing is that it is believed he is gleaning the hits to benefit his SS.
If you go to his SS website, no matter what location you choose for a notary, his name appears as if he were an advertising notary. When they choose him, his SS gleans the business, he outsources it, rather than the independent agent who advertises on his site.
Clever, but shady.

Reply by Michelle Smith on 4/27/07 8:01pm
Msg #187549

Re: Michelle

I see what you are all saying. I get that no one cares for his site. Maybe he is a snake. I don't know. (I'm not listed on his signing service site, so I really don't know If I somehow showed up on his site, thered be a serious problem between us.)

It is "believed". That's the key word. I want "proof" and don't know where to find it.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 4/27/07 8:04pm
Msg #187551

Think of it this way Michelle: a skunk disguised as a cat

still stinks.

Reply by Lisa Prestegard on 4/27/07 8:15pm
Msg #187560

Hey! Don't pick on Pepe LePeu! n/m

Reply by Charles_Ca on 4/27/07 9:47pm
Msg #187592

Re: Hey! Don't pick on Pepe LePeu! I'm so sorrry Cherie

my leetle flower. I love Pepe and I love how undaunted he is chasing that cat around. Those guys at Warner Brothers who wrote Bugs and that whole bunch were geniuses. They really knew person'alities and how to capture them in animation. It's too bad that animation has gone into the tank over the years. I personally don't care for the current spate of cartoons like "The Simpsons, South Park, and lot of those. It seems that they only have crudity to use for humor. I mean c'mon, public flatulance is only funny once in a while! You never saw Bugs do that, or Yosemite Sam, Pegleg Pete, even Elmer Fudd. The humor was in the situation and I loved it.

Reply by Lisa Prestegard on 4/27/07 10:20pm
Msg #187602

My fav? Bugs in "What's Opera, Doc?"

And of course, Pepe LePeu. ~~swoon~~
I have all the old Bugs, Daffy, Elmer Fudd, Foghorn Leghorn, etc. on VHS. They're my 'chicken soup' when I'm sick. I especially love the shameless cross-dressing. That Bugs was one sexy bi*ch!

Reply by MistarellaFL on 4/27/07 10:23pm
Msg #187606

Foghorn Leghorn

Doo dah, doo dah!

Reply by Lisa Prestegard on 4/27/07 10:55pm
Msg #187622

Here it is... the BEST ONE EVER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D74Bk3uvGj4

Reply by Charles_Ca on 4/28/07 4:43pm
Msg #187784

Thanks Lisa, I've never seen that one, viva l'armoire! n/m

Reply by Tim_Mphs/TN on 4/29/07 2:29am
Msg #187846

Re: My fav? Bugs in "What's Opera, Doc?"

Bugs Bunny ROCKS!!! He is my all-time favorite toon. Did you know that there have even been articles published (in real newspapers, not online) where Bugs has been compared to various figures from classical or pagan religions? He makes a very interesting avatar for the various trickster gods and for the Goddess of Chaos (Eris or Discordia). One of my email addresses is [e-mail address].

Reply by Lisa Prestegard on 4/27/07 11:07pm
Msg #187624

Here's one for you, Charles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-saiHSjw_Y

Reply by James H. Lissemore on 4/27/07 8:32pm
Msg #187574

Re: Michelle

I don't know. I pay him $100 a month for my towns. I make more then enough to justify it.
I have been spending adv$$$$ for 35 years. I use what works and get rid of that that does not.
I also use N/R Premium and that works too. I use a number of others that work also. I deal in results. no results, no money. i could care less about any site that does not produce results. iIrun a business not a charity.

Reply by Becca_FL on 4/27/07 7:49pm
Msg #187544

Hits are hits, Michelle.

I think the problem is that you don't know what question you are asking, but are looking for an answer that suits you. You seem to be so focused on the ONE thing that you want to know that you are ignoring the answers you are receiving. It's almost as if you have tunnel vision. Broaden your outlook a bit and you just might see the answers right in front of you. It is what it is. Not everything is black and white; there is a lot of gray.

What is in that kool-aide, jeez.

Reply by Michelle Smith on 4/27/07 8:07pm
Msg #187553

Re: Hits are hits, Michelle.

(sigh) I know what question I'm asking. I am not looking for a certain outcome. Just proof that the answer provided is true.

Regarding the "kool aid" comment: If you're implying that I blindly accept what someone tells me, that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid in this discussion.

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/27/07 8:20pm
Msg #187565

**Regarding the "kool aid" comment: If you're implying that I blindly accept what someone tells me, that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid in this discussion. **

Michelle, Please try doing research on your own on Search Engine Optimization, Search Engine Performance, and do even more by learning about "internet guerilla marketing tactics. " Don't take anyone's word for it.

People who have studied this recognize these things for what they seem to be--internet marketing 101. It takes more than setting up one site and letting it get found all on its own to become a good google catch. You have to write a lot of stuff...drive people to a site....and so on and so forth. I do it myself on my own sites...maybe that's why I know how it works and recognize it for what it is?

It will take you a lot of study time to get the overall picture, and it's not easy to write it up in a post on a forum board. Much of the speculation exists because of pattern behavior which is tried and true--by the book. Some might call it speculation. Others might see it as a very savvy marketer putting a text book plan together.

Please, seek the information you desire and don't depend on anyone's opinion.

Reply by Michelle Smith on 4/27/07 8:27pm
Msg #187571

I'm researching as much as I can and still not finding the connection between the two sites. The only connection I can find so far is this:

Say 1700 people belong to the social network. Say he also has a link to his own website on the social network. Let's say that everyone who joined the social network clicked on his personal site link one time. That's 1700 hits. That would certainly add SOME hits.

The missing connection that I'm researching is how each individual post on a message board converts to hits on his website. (Unless you actually "hit" his website, how can it be calculated as a "hit".)

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/27/07 8:39pm
Msg #187576

I'm wondering the same thing....

I haven't been to either site, so maybe I'm missing a part of the picture. But the question that occured to me is the same one I think you are asking, i.e. if he has two different websites that are not connected in any way, how do the hits that help optimize his social website and push it up the rankings, help his ss site get viewed more? (Hopefully I'm wording it differently enough...) And, BTW, this is a sincere question on my part... and it's also idle curiosity, as I don't have any particular desire to view either one. [In case you couldn't already tell, I'm no expert at this stuff, either! ;>Wink]

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/27/07 8:43pm
Msg #187577

OK..... maybe I should read it all first!

shoulda finished the rest of the thread before posting. I get it now, too. And now I'm gonna go feed my critters who have hardly seen me in three days!

Reply by Michelle Smith on 4/27/07 8:45pm
Msg #187578

Re: I'm wondering the same thing....

Yes! Someone gets me! I think I'm going to shed a tear! LOL!

Reply by Becca_FL on 4/27/07 8:47pm
Msg #187582

And then Janet says..."I get it now, too."

"OK..... maybe I should read it all first!
Posted by JanetK_CA of CA on 4/27/07 8:43pm Msg #187577
shoulda finished the rest of the thread before posting. I get it now, too. And now I'm gonna go feed my critters who have hardly seen me in three days!"

Reply by Michelle Smith on 4/27/07 8:53pm
Msg #187583

Yeah , I know. My heart sank when I read it. Thanks for rubbing it in though. LOL

Reply by Becca_FL on 4/27/07 9:23pm
Msg #187587

Get a good night’s sleep and who knows? You might wake up with a fresh outlook and be more susceptible to new ideas.

I've not lost hope, just patience. I'm not a very patient person to begin with, but I know you want to learn and I'm trying my darndest to try to help you.

As I said before, maybe Andy can put it in terms that you can understand. Andy has been a great help to me with things I don't understand. Andy is always gentle too.

Reply by Michelle Smith on 4/27/07 9:33pm
Msg #187589

Geez, I get your "idea", just not the proof of that it is more than merely an "idea". I don't think that makes me narrow minded. (If I were that, I'd say "to heck with all of you" and continue to do whatever I pleased.)

Reply by Becca_FL on 4/27/07 9:46pm
Msg #187591

Re: I'm wondering the same thing....Michelle

Isn't God just an idea? You don't see Christians demanding proof that the God exists...they just believe. Use your noodle.

I've seen proof that dinosaurs walked the earth, but still, some do not believe.

Reply by Michelle Smith on 4/27/07 9:58pm
Msg #187595

Re: I'm wondering the same thing....Michelle

Yes, I suppose some would think of God, Buddha, Allah, The God of the Sun, The Flying Green Man, - whoever their 'divine being" might be - as just an "idea". Not sure why someone would have a problem believing in dinosaurs when proof is easily offered up.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 4/27/07 9:55pm
Msg #187594

Janet and Michelle let me see if I can add something here.

I own a number of domains and they all point to the same website so when someone logs onto one of the domains it immediately gets transferred to the one website. It appears that I have a number of websites but to Google its just one. Now I don't know if that is what is being done here but I don't know that its not. Also there are ways of setting up URLs with the domain name and extensions that make it look like you are on one site but really on another. You may have gotten some of the e-Bay spoof mail as well as spoofs from financial instiutions and all their URLs start with the actual URL. There are probably as many ways to gain and advantage as there are poeple who try to. The digital age has certainly caused some paradigm changes in the way we market and in fact in the way we do a lot of things.

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/27/07 10:00pm
Msg #187597

As of yesterday, he still has link to the SS in a signature

where he posts, as "roadkillu" for instance.

If you have studied this kind of thing you can spot some things that will lead you to believe the outcomes which have been suggested.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/member.php?s=476dcd4fd9e7b9841a76e4aa747f3b12&u=38119

Maybe he's just slow and getting rid of his SS signature...I realize this is not the answer just yet that Michelle is seeking, but it is proof that this internet marketing savvy soul is not exactly totally done with his ss game just yet.

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/27/07 10:09pm
Msg #187599

Now, if you start kinda watching some of the things he

is asking about such as here: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=302504

you will see that Internet Marketing Savvy Guy is sorta alluding to using more than one doman for search engine optimization.

He's a wonderkin with the 'net. But ask yourself, why does a person do these kinds of things?

Until you understand the language being spoken on the forum referred to above it won't mean a thing to you but at least perhaps you can see it's not all about just one domain.

To me...well, I'm just like: He's so smart about this stuff it make my hair blow...and the fact remains, my friends...he's still using that SS signature on his posts after the 18th of April. Not opinion...it's fact about the SS signature on his posts.

Coincidence? You can decide.

Reply by Michelle Smith on 4/27/07 10:21pm
Msg #187603

Re: Now, if you start kinda watching some of the things he

Hmmmmm.........

Reply by Michelle Smith on 4/27/07 10:06pm
Msg #187598

Re: Janet and Michelle let me see if I can add something her

THAT is definitely one angle to look into. I will try and get some answers from the owners of the Z**g network.

Reply by MelissaCT on 4/27/07 9:46pm
Msg #187590

Michelle, search google for michelle smith notary. The 9th listing on the first page is your link at another listing site. How does that help you? Well, you're listed on page one on a name search, but the site owner is also getting the "hit" at their site & their listed on page 1 of google, through you. On that link, you're not the only person listed.

Fast forward to the scenario you've described in your question. If Joe Schmo is listing himself as top dog on every page, no matter who you're searching for or where, his link will appear on the top of the results page. Now obviously, he can 't be in all 50 states, so he subs work out, but he's the one getting the hits & the calls for the jobs -- not you.

I believe that's the connection you're looking for.

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/27/07 10:10pm
Msg #187600

Re: Hits are hits, Michelle. THANK YOU Melissa!

Nicely said. Even I get it and I have completely confused myself for the most part.

I am not a good communicator about these things.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/28/07 12:09am
Msg #187636

Re: Hits are hits, Michelle. THANK YOU Melissa!

"Nicely said. Even I get it and I have completely confused myself for the most part."

Wait!! I thought that was MY line! Although it's amazing what a short power nap will do for ya... I didn't plan it that way, I just sat down for a sec after feeding the cats and woke up 30 minutes later. Imagine my surprise to return to this debate. ;>Wink

Reply by Becca_FL on 4/27/07 10:23pm
Msg #187604

Spot on, Melissa! n/m

Reply by Lisa Prestegard on 4/27/07 7:44pm
Msg #187540

not directed at you, Michelle. n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/27/07 9:20pm
Msg #187586

**and several people have web experts **

How many experts are working on this? I find it amazing that this subject is still afloat. Now that the experts have arrived it could expand exponentially.

Reply by Michelle Smith on 4/27/07 9:29pm
Msg #187588

Is this a serious question, or are we getting upset with me? Anyway.....

I have one person working on it (not quite an "expert" but a pretty smart cookie) and three others who are "on your side" have claimed to have people looking into it.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 4/27/07 7:10pm
Msg #187511

Lisa, the unfortunatel thing is that to Google a hit is a

and a link back is a link back. They don't care about the quailty of the hit they just care about the numbers.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 4/27/07 7:25pm
Msg #187521

Think of this

Charles was pretty active on here today. I am betting he got a lot of hits on his website through his profile. I know the hits on my profile here went way up.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 4/27/07 7:26pm
Msg #187522

And please

Everybody go to my profile and look at my website. I could use the hits.

TIC

Reply by Charles_Ca on 4/27/07 7:58pm
Msg #187548

4628 as of this evening. who says controversy doesn't pay,

Now if I could only get them all redirected to my personal website!

Reply by Michelle Smith on 4/27/07 8:09pm
Msg #187555

Re: 4628 as of this evening. who says controversy doesn't pa

Apparently, if you start a social network, people will flock to your other website. LOL (I'm JUST poking fun so don't throw things at me!)

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/27/07 8:28pm
Msg #187572

**Apparently, if you start a social network, people will flock to your other website. LOL (I'm JUST poking fun so don't throw things at me!) **

Now you are getting the point. Don't throw anything at me either. :0)

Reply by Michelle Smith on 4/27/07 8:36pm
Msg #187575

Hey - at least we contributed HEAVILY to the NR forums tonight. We're doing our part to keep it up there!

Reply by Charles_Ca on 4/27/07 10:00pm
Msg #187596

Michelle, I can't believe that you'd say that, I'm really a

civilized person. I don't throw things I just poke back. Wink Actually if someone is decent to me I'll go out of my way to help them.

Reply by Lisa Prestegard on 4/27/07 7:43pm
Msg #187539

It's all about quantity, not quality, unfortunately. n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/27/07 7:28pm
Msg #187523

Re: It's like trying to herd cats, Becca---Yep

**No matter what, some people are just not going to listen. And the more wrong they are, the harder they try to defend their position. They won't believe someone (like Laura) who is well-respected, done their homework and has nothing to gain by telling it like it is.**

And if I get one more email or PM that says I don't like that site, well....I'll just ignore it also. I don't personally care.

People believe what they want to and there is an awful lot of tiresome (to me) investment in me just being a mean ol' Scott h8r...I am tired of hearing how I don't like that site. No. Just don't feel the need to contribute to something that's not for my benefit. My choice.

As a general rule these kind of things die out on a forum but this one has been running for what? Two weeks now? There's got to be an impetus somewhere to keep this tired ol' discussion fused up and running.

Interesting that.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.