Notary Rotary
Becareful what you post- posts showing up in Notary search
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2007 Index

Posted by Margaret_FL on 4/28/07 9:15pm
Msg #187812

This is what I found when checking my positions in the search engines.

http://www.notaryrotary.com/archive/FL/Find_a_Notary_in_Atlantic_Beach_Florida.html

Reply by Sharon Taylor on 4/28/07 9:36pm
Msg #187814

Yike, that's too much info being shared w/o your knowledge

These days there is absolutely positively no privacy at all, especially in online posts. Everything you put online anywhere is floating around in cyberspace just waiting to be retrieved and read by anyone anywhere, casual nosy browser or a title company or signing agency or lender who will form an impression of you based on those posts you thought were temporary and would only be read by members of the forum you were posting to. "Ain't necessarily so", as the song says.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 4/28/07 10:04pm
Msg #187817

#1 rule of WWW, never say anything you don't want to

become a permanent part of the structure. This has been a feature as long as I've been here and it is to enhance your profile. I lke it it tells anyone browsing how you interact and how you operate. Perhaps you should make it a practice to say only those things that you are willing to live with, I do. Every time I post a message I evaluate it from the damage or benefit it can do for me. If you really want a revealing look at what is on the internet do a search on your own name, you will be amazed, at least most people: there are some who don't get listed for lack of participation.

Reply by Sharon Taylor on 4/28/07 10:11pm
Msg #187820

Re: #1 rule of WWW, never say anything you don't want to

"....there are some who don't get listed for lack of participation." Yea, that's me. Smile I always try to think of all possible interpretations by readers before posting anywhere and then revise the wording accordingly.
As one of my favorite sayings goes: "Open mouth, insert foot...chew gently, the toes you save may be your own."

Reply by Charles_Ca on 4/28/07 10:18pm
Msg #187823

Are you kidding, I've got bite marks all over my feet ;)! n/m

Reply by Sharon Taylor on 4/28/07 10:24pm
Msg #187824

Thanks for the belly laugh, Charles - too too funny n/m

Reply by MikeC/NY on 4/28/07 10:54pm
Msg #187826

Yeah, but... n/m

Reply by MikeC/NY on 4/28/07 11:09pm
Msg #187827

Yeah, but...

Sorry - hit ENTER when I should have hit TAB...

Anyway...

this feature isn't selective - for instance, anyone who posted comments in the recent flame war will eventually have those comments as part of their "permanent record." Is that the way you want to present yourself to a potential client?

I just don't see the point of including forum posts in the search results - what benefit is there? Charles, I have a lot of respect for you because of the solid info you provide, but do you really want your recent exchanges about the MNN controversy to show up when someone googles "find a notary in california" and looks at your profile?

Reply by Charles_Ca on 4/29/07 2:24am
Msg #187844

Re: Yeah, but...Mike, there comes a time in ones life when

one is comfortable enough to say anything they want with impunity. I am an older guy and I am very very comfortable. My income is secure and if I never got another notary job in my life it would be totally irrelevant. So in my postion I can say things that you or many others might think but not dare say. To me it doesn't matter. I like the cameraderie on this site and we've got some real cool people here. I have said many times that I like people who do things and the notaries who have managed to hang on inspite of the numerous problems with the business are some of the more astute business people I know and I know some pretty astute business people. Some of the issues I take on are actually fed to me by those who would prefer not to put themselves in the line of fire. If you check my back posts you will see that I have taken on the issues of networking, of cutting out the Signing Services, of taking on those who would otherwise take advantage of notaries, even the NNA (note I don't euphemize) I'll asways tell it like it is (at least as I see it). If I never get another notary job it would not affect my bottom lline at all. I ve been around and I've done a lot of things and I've seen alot, I am not easily cowed. Anyway the point is that if someone googles me and finds some of my comments and doesn't want to do business with me, fine, I probably wouldn't want to do business with them either. I think you give the SS too much power by endowing them with the power to select. Believe me when the chips are down and they need a notary any warm body with a stamp will do as is frequently evidenced by the comments here. Check out some of your competition, what differentiates them from you, probably nothing. In business you have to offer something the others don't or you are just a commodity. The business I am in (and it is not notarizing documents) my clients have a hard time finding what I offer anywhere else. Real estate is considered legally a personal service business in that the service provided can not be replaced by anyone else. Worry about yourself, I'm flattered but I've done my thing, now its your turn! its your business and you have to do what is best for your business regardless of what anyone else thinks. Its yours to grow or to destroy.

Reply by Teddog/CO on 4/29/07 12:10pm
Msg #187867

Re: #1 rule of WWW, never say anything you don't want to

How right you are Charles! People tend to "forget" they are running a business. Got problems, it's best to share your "issues" with a priest, minister,...etc. Or as someone told me a very long time ago "A-Open mouth, B-insert both feet." "Words are mightier then the sword."

You have a great weekend Charles! Smile

Reply by Charles_Ca on 4/29/07 2:13pm
Msg #187900

You too Teddy, I find that my dog listens best ;)! And she

never talks back or complains.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 4/29/07 12:31am
Msg #187834

Re: Yike, that's too much info being shared w/o your knowledge

Sharon
If you want to be noticed in our industry link your profile to all your posts as I do and as many others have figured out on www.notaryrotary.com.

Being hired in our industry is "all about marketing and doing an error free loan signing with the borrower".

Reply by Sharon Taylor on 4/29/07 1:33am
Msg #187837

Gee, Joan, I've got 10 years as a Mobile Notary

and do alright every month, well enough that I can "just say no" to the low-ball calls. I don't always check the Add Link to My Profile box, but it just didn't seem so very very critical that I do it for each and every single post I might make on this site.

Reply by Margaret_FL on 4/29/07 6:43am
Msg #187848

I had a long talk with someone at a title company and she had complimented my on some posts I had made here. She also said that she reads the posts here frequently and is disbursbed by the hateful remarks. I still read the posts here late at night almost daily but I do not post very much due to my busy schedule. I knew about the owner of a social notary website being the owner of a signing service weeks ago. I am also tired of sending Private Messages or emails to members here and never getting a reply. I always reply to my email to the hundreds of people who email regarding inspection work. I always try to help others. I do find that when I read the posts here it is amazing how much people have so much time on their hands. I quess it's those hours waiting on EDOCS.

Reply by Becca_FL on 4/29/07 9:50am
Msg #187853

Re: Becareful what you post- posts showing up in Notary sear

Only the threads that you start show up under your profile, this has been brought up before.

As for PMs, I can't stand them. I delete 99% of the PMs I receive from the others site. I link to my profile and list my email address on my profile page. I'm not real hip on the PM link here at NotRot, but have found it useful on occasion.

I have found that the people that use the PM feature on message boards use it because they are going to tell you something that they don't have the stones to say on a open forum, at least that's been my experience. I could share some nasty PMs from the nicey-nice crew that are demanding we change our ways. At least I'm not a hypocrite. I tell it like it is, no sugar coating, just the way it is or the way I see it and I stand behind what I say.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 4/29/07 11:53am
Msg #187862

Re: Becareful what you post- posts showing up in Notary sear

I agree with Becca. I have had my share of candy a$$ed cowards using the PMs for their personl hate mail because they haven't (as Becca so delicately put) the cohones to say it in public: they are afraid it will ruin thier ever so carefully constructed image of nicety. Hey Becca I entered the site under the cloak of anonymity and I notice FlaMac has nice home there Wink
I dond'nt recognize the rest but with FlaMac spewing her BS they should be highly prized site in no time flat!

Reply by cassiewi on 4/29/07 12:10pm
Msg #187868

I did the same thing Charles

I wanted to see what it was about, now I have people requesting to be my friend. I don't want to participate but with all the hoopla from the last few days, it had me curious.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 4/29/07 1:54pm
Msg #187896

Re: I did the same thing Charles, Cassie

if you go to Ning dot com then you can get an Id and you can cruise the sites without logging on. It is a nice way to look around, after I saw FlaMac as the Prize Pig emaniting her priceless wisdom on that site I had seen enough and bailed. Wink

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/29/07 12:30pm
Msg #187876

You are right, Charles!

** they are afraid it will ruin thier ever so carefully constructed image of nicety. **

I had not thought of it that way. You're right. I went through that same bs myself over the days since 4/15 when the ningii (plural for more than one ningus) came.

Here's the thing about PMs...they can be nice for a quick thought, a tip you may not want to share with the whole world, but I like to keep it on the board if it is about a discussion we are involved in and we have differing opinions.

People learn from debate and it gets old hearing, "Man, there are sure some mean people on NR." Translated, that means, "you are mean." I'll probably not answer those.

If you just want to shoot me a greeting, or a question, a personal insight, or a tip...or a simple thing, that's great. Shoot!

Reply by Charles_Ca on 4/29/07 2:03pm
Msg #187897

Re: You are right, Charles! I see it all the time Brenda

and we've seen them come and go on Not Rot just like the waves on the beach. The come forth with their standard statements about how mean some people are, how unChristian their behavior (you know they are only using the cloak of Christianity to hide their own filthy intentions) as well as their mantle of niceness and you know they would eviscerate you in a heartbeat if they thought they could get away with it. I hate hate hypocrisy wherever it raises its ugly head.

Yeah, I can be real nasty and mean but I also try and help those that try and help themselves (were did I hear that before?) and approached for help I usually try and help outm unless it is demanded. The whole entitlement mentality thing is another story, they can take their entitlement and put it where the sun don't shine.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 4/29/07 11:54am
Msg #187863

Margaret, you know its simply rude not to respond....

I even respond to the vicious ones Wink, they rarely reply.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 4/29/07 12:05pm
Msg #187866

PS: Margaret, I prefer my e-mail because I get notifed when

the e-mail gets received and its displayed in a small screen at the lwer right of my screen momentarily. I can quickly glance at it and know who is e-mailing me how quickly i need to respond. Unfortunately my computer crashed a few weeks ago and I am still rebuilding my files. I'm just getting around to answering some fo my e-mails.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.