Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just curious...what's on your state's stamp?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2007 Index

Posted by Lee/AR on 4/1/07 6:10am
Msg #183215

In WI, just had an embosser with my name & state of Wisconsin. No commission number. No county. (expired in '03 or so). In Arkansas: my name, county of residence, state and expiration date. No commission number. Matter of fact, Arkansas did not have a 'commission number' until just recently and it's called a 'filing number' and I never did 'receive' this info from the state. But was able to look it up online this year. Commissions are 10 years here.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 4/1/07 6:34am
Msg #183216

In NY, we aren't required to have either a stamp or an embossing seal; we are just required to print below our signature (in black ink) our name, the words "Notary Public State of New York", the county in which we qualified, our commission number, and the date the commission expires. If we have certificates of character filed in other counties, those must be listed as well.

Obviously, most of us use a stamp for that, but the stamp itself is not an official seal as it is in other states, and doesn't carry any added weight other than to keep us in compliance with the law and eliminate possible writer's cramp. Commissions are good for 4 years here.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 4/1/07 8:02am
Msg #183218

In IL our stamp says

Official Seal
Name
Notary Public - State of Illinois
My commission expires (date)

We are commissioned for 4 years.

Reply by JanetLA on 4/1/07 8:37am
Msg #183220

no official stamp in Louisiana (commissioned for lifetime)

There is no stamp or embosser required here either. Just printed name and commision number below our signatures. Our commissions are for lifetime so there is no expiration. Causes a problem with filling in commission expires forms online. (never expires is not an option)... We usually use a stamp to print our names below signatures but it is not required. Have a great week everyone

Reply by Stoli on 4/1/07 11:54am
Msg #183241

Re: "there is no expiration" Enter upon Death" on form? n/m

Reply by Janet Sobers on 4/1/07 3:47pm
Msg #183256

"there is no expiration" Enter upon Death" on form?

Yes that is acceptable but what I was talking about is internet "fill in the blank forms" that only have the choice of a date format... Thanks

Reply by dickb/wi on 4/1/07 4:00pm
Msg #183258

if the answer is numeric just put in all 0's....if it is..

alpa numeric write in "permanent".......

Reply by BobRogers_FL on 4/1/07 9:24am
Msg #183222

A notary public seal shall be affixed to all notarized paper documents and shall be of the rubber stamp type and shall include the words "Notary Public-State of Florida." The seal shall also include the name of the notary public, the date of expiration of the commission of the notary public, and the commission number. The rubber stamp seal must be affixed to the notarized paper document in photographically reproducible black ink. Every notary public shall print, type, or stamp below his or her signature on a paper document his or her name exactly as commissioned. An impression-type seal may be used in addition to the rubber stamp seal, but the rubber stamp seal shall be the official seal for use on a paper document, and the impression-type seal may not be substituted therefor.

Reply by Gerry_VT on 4/1/07 9:50am
Msg #183225

In Vermont, no seal of any kind is required. There is no requirement concerning printing the notary's name, expiration date, or anything else on the document. The SOS's notary manual recommends using a seal for documents going out-of-state, but the manual does not specify whether the seal should be a stamp or an embosser, nor does it specify the appearance of the seal. Vermont does not have commission numbers. Commissions expire 10 days after the term of office of the assistant county judges who appoint notaries, that is, every 4 years. In the case of ex-officio notaries, the commission expires when all other notary commissions expire, or at the end of the term of office that entitles one to be an ex-officio notary, whichever comes first.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 4/1/07 10:40am
Msg #183232

Great Seal of Oregon, OFFICIAL SEAL, Name, Notary Public -

Oregon, Commission #, and My Commission Expires (date). {NR Stingray is very crisp, easy to read.}

I'm glad we have a stamp - otherwise I'd feel, oh, I don't know, somehow not as notorious...

Cheers!
Susie

Reply by Katrina Arnaud on 4/1/07 11:57am
Msg #183242

California Stamp

Name of Notary
Commission No.
Notary Public - California
County commission is held
Commission Expiration date

Seal of the State of California and Manufacture's No.

Reply by ewing2surf on 4/1/07 6:02pm
Msg #183270

Re: California notary "Seal"

Name of Notary
Commission No.
Notary Public - California
County commission is held
Commission Expiration date
State Seal of California
Manufacturer's No.
Serrated Edge
Photographically Reproducible ink

Reply by jojo_MN on 4/2/07 5:24am
Msg #183298

In Minnesota, the seal has a very intricate emblem that you can only see the details with a magnifying glass. It also lists name, commission expiration and commission number. It also requires a scalloped border. If you want to see a copy of it, click on the Notary supplies tab above and enter state of minnesota.

Reply by Ernest__CT on 4/2/07 6:52am
Msg #183302

CT does not require either a stamp or embossing seal. A signature is considered notarized when the Notary Public's signed name, "My commission expires " plus the commission expiration date appear on the document in the notarial block.

If an embossing seal is used, it is round, has the Notary Public's name, "Notary Public", and "Connecticut". The edges of the seal are scolloped.

I use a rubber stamp that has my name, "Connecticut Notary Public, "My commission expires " and my commission expiration date.

Because the general public expects to see an embossed impression I strongly suggest getting an embosser even if your state does not require one. It goes nearly unsaid that you should buy yours from Notary Rotary!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.