Notary Rotary
Nervous
Notary Discussion History

Nervous
Go Back to April, 2007 Index

Posted by Andre Debose on 4/9/07 3:40pm
Msg #184334

Nervous

Ok, I just got my first call and have a home closing tonight at 8:45pm. Help!!

Reply by Lynn1765/FL on 4/9/07 3:45pm
Msg #184337

Check PM.... n/m

Reply by Nickie Blume on 4/9/07 4:51pm
Msg #184351

It's alright my brother... Just take your time and read over all of your paperwork first. Make sure you do not miss any small initial boxes. They sometimes put them at the top as well as the bottom. Just to cover my rear I have the borrowers initial and date EVERY page just to be on the safe side. It might take a few minutes longer but it can save you a whole lot of time and frustration in the long run. If you have any questions just make sure to call the closing or title company ASAP before proceeding. And remember, you are there strictly to do the Notary part of the closing. Do not give any advice as to the paperwork or tell the borrowers anything regarding the closing. If they have any questions during the closing have them contact the lender right then and there. Dont leave the closing table with the borrowers being able to say well Andre told me something else. DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!! Plat stupid even if you know the answer to the question. You can be held responsible for anything you say or do that isnt what the Mortgage company intends for the buyer. Just relax and take your time and you'll do fine. Once you do a few you'll be a pro. Believe in yourself, you can do it!!!!
Nickie

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 4/9/07 5:01pm
Msg #184358

*I have the borrowers initial and date EVERY page just to be on the safe side. It might take a few minutes longer but it can save you a whole lot of time and frustration in the long run.*

IMO, besides taking much more time to finish a signing, you could be getting yourself into a heap of trouble as there are *some* companies that allow *no* marks of any kind on the paperwork, except for where there is an actual signature line and/or initial line.

Reply by CJ on 4/9/07 5:09pm
Msg #184361

On my first closing, I got those little post-it stickers and put them all over the docs. It helped them sign better, and it helped me be more familiar with the signature and initial lines. After three jobs like this, I didn't need to do it any more.

I always find the "Note" first. That has what the borrowers want to know: their loan amount and interest rate. If those are right, things should go more smoothly. If they are wrong, no point in signing anything.

TAKE YOUR TIME. Since you only have one job tonight, so what if they read the whole thing: you're not going anywhere any way. That was how I learned about the documents. The borrowes would read each paper and say, "Oh, this just says they might sell the loan". After a few jobs like that, I got the hang of it.

Call your SS and ask them to get you the phone number of someone to call if you get stuck. The SS has seen every problem before, so if you can't answer why the Truth in Lending is different from the Note, they can help you. They will be glad that you called them at 10:00 at night, rather then the borrowers not signing becuse you could not answer a common question.

I would say to call me, but I only know California Law.

Above all: Don't give any advice or opinions. I say, "I need to be careful how I word my answer to your quiestion becuase it is a CRIME for me to give my advice or opinion." It is also a crime to tell them whether or not to sign. If the loan officer tells you to tell them, and the phone to them and let him do it.

If they say, "Why didn't they send someone who knows more?" I say, "That's why they get paid the big bucks. I am just the gopher". Call the SS if you have any questions during the signing.

Reply by DebbieT on 4/9/07 7:06pm
Msg #184376

Just take a deep breath and you will be fine.

Being too nervous will sometimes make you mess up. Just stay focused and scale every page. Besides the borrowers dont know that this is your first time. You will be fine.

Reply by CJ on 4/9/07 11:34pm
Msg #184405

So how did it go? Did you survive? Were the borrowers nice or jerks? What was the easy part, and what was the hard part?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.