Notary Rotary
Property Inspections
Notary Discussion History

Property Inspections
Go Back to April, 2007 Index

Posted by notarymd on 4/6/07 2:14pm
Msg #183992

Property Inspections

I just received an email soliciting my services for property inspections for business clientele. They want digital pictures taken of the business properties and notarized documents. They claim the appointment takes but 20 minutes (not including the driving and the package preparation or phone time). They offer a whopping $25 per assignment. Any takers? I'll be glad to pass the info. along.

Reply by Margaret_FL on 4/6/07 2:28pm
Msg #183993

I do not do these inspections for $25. I do drive-bys with 2 pictures only for $25. I get 65 local, 90 with travel. I just did 12 on Monday all at $65 each and I only put 54 miles rountrip on my car.

Reply by Margaret_FL on 4/6/07 2:28pm
Msg #183994

I do not do these inspections for $25. I do drive-bys with 2 pictures only for $25. I get 65 local, 90 with travel. I just did 12 on Monday all at $65 each and I only put 54 miles rountrip on my car.

Reply by susana on 4/6/07 3:19pm
Msg #184000

I, too, got that offer. I turned it down, and they offered me 40. I agreed to do it one time to see how much trouble it was. (It was 4 miles from my house). Then they called me and wanted to send me all the ones they had in my area up to 25 miles away. (25 miles in my area can be an hour drive) I politely explained that it was not time or cost effective. It took more than 20 minutes-not including the drive, downloading and emailing the pictures, filling out and faxing the questionnaire.

Reply by LJ on 4/6/07 3:32pm
Msg #184003

I got a similar offer couple months back. It involved "making contact" with a borrower that is late in payments. It only paid $25 also. It could only be done in the evenings. If you accept the assignment, you have to keep going back until you are able to get in the door and talk to them. Once in the door, you call the LO and they talk. Sounds kind of unsafe for a woman to do. You are going into someone's home that is behind in their payments and confront them and call their LO. No thank you.

Reply by Jacqueline Dyson on 4/6/07 5:23pm
Msg #184014

Margaret

Where does one sign up for this type of work? Impressive #'s I would say.

Reply by Margaret_FL on 4/7/07 6:07am
Msg #184062

Re: Margaret

Do a search on Notary Rotary for all the posts I have done on the subject.
I do inspections for HUD out of Atlanta and I am in Florida. I cover North Florida and South, Ga
I do not know what state you are in.
You need to find out from your regional HUD office and ask them who their
SPI (Special Property Inspections) contractors are. Go to www.hud.gov and do a search for SPI
inspections. I work very hard, early mornings (getting up at 4:30am) to get on the road to do my out of town inspections that I mostly do on weekends) I do this so it will not interfere with my weekday work activities. I have fun, my husband goes with me, we take the RV. When I receive my assignments I have 10 days to complete them, so most times I do them all on Saturday and Sunday. I do my local ones on the weekdays, early. I am able to do these around my other activities.

Reply by CJ on 4/6/07 6:34pm
Msg #184026

I do property inspections, but it is different. I get paid $25 to take one picture from the outside (you don't have to meet with anyone), answer a couple of questions (like, "is there a For Sale sign in front?"Wink, but I think once you start meeting with people and signing docs, you are doing mobile notary work, and you should get paid your base fee for that.

Reply by John Temblador on 4/6/07 8:30pm
Msg #184046

I was offered "Merchant Site Inspections" for Credit Card Co

A company back in March contacted me re: performing "Merchant Site Inspections". I take 2 pics of the business and one inside, ask a few questions and on to the next. A quick 5 minutes and I got paid $30.00 per visit. I had 6 my first assignments in one day and made $180.00 in a few hours work! I figured it helped supplement slow days with my notary business.

The credit cards companies want to verify a business is legal and operating accordingly to prevent fraud.

I also was offered "Occupancy Verification" for mortgage companies and that pays $30.00 per visit.

Reply by Sharon Taylor on 4/6/07 8:41pm
Msg #184049

John, I've done these for the major credit reporting

companies, not for individual credit card companies. I take about 20 minutes - photos inside where data will be accessed and stored, photo outside of permanent business sign, a 4 or 5 page questionnaire to be completed with the customer's answers and your observations (fast and easy to do), then go online to complete the report and send the photos. They are enjoyable to do, and the business personnel are always friendly and cooperative. This is a small area, so I was doing maybe one or two a month for a while, but none at all for the past 3 or 4 months. It's definitely not something you could rely on to pay the bills, but it is a nice change of pace from closings and fair pay for the modest amount of work involved.

Reply by MelissaCT on 4/9/07 9:33am
Msg #184254

Re: I was offered "Merchant Site Inspections" for Credit Card Co

I've done the occupancy verifications -- not anything in the past couple months, as there isn't work in my area, but those were enjoyable. The company I worked for would even pay full fee if an appointment couldn't be made & it turned into a "drive-by". Well worth the time & mileage overall. It was a nice supplement to signings. But again, nothing in the past few months, so don't quit your day job to do these -- or signings for that matter. Diversification is a necessity for success.

Reply by aatatusko on 4/7/07 11:24am
Msg #184104

Be Careful Out There...

Especially in Maryland with this armed nut around. Here is a link from the Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/05/AR2007040501698.html

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.