Notary Rotary
A Little Windows Trick That I Use
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by Dennis Larson on 10/19/07 11:56am
Msg #217311

Have you ever noticed that it takes awhile (I mean a long time) for Windows to start up and/or shut down? Well, here’s a little trick I use.

You need to make sure that “Hibernation” is enabled. Right click on an empty space of your desktop. A dialog box opens up. Click properties. The “Display Properties” opens up. Then click “Screensaver”, then click “Power”, then click “Hibernate”. Now make sure that the “Enable Hibernation Box” is checked. If not, check it. Now click OK, then OK again.

Now that Hibernate is enabled, you can turn off (hibernate) you computer with three simple keystrokes. The “Windows” key (on your keyboard, between generally between the Ctrl and Alt), then “u” then “h” (without the quotes). Ok, that’s Windows, u, h. Easy to remember as “Windows you hibernate”

Now whenever you need to leave your computer for awhile, just click those three keys, and your computer will go to sleep quickly, even with open programs. When your ready to use it again press the power button and the computer will come out of hibernation in about a fifth of the time that it would take from a cold start. And, where you were is where your at !

Neat, huh?

Reply by Yoli/CA on 10/19/07 12:18pm
Msg #217319

Thanks for the time-saver, Dennis! n/m

Reply by Becca_FL on 10/19/07 12:50pm
Msg #217331

It dosen't work for me, Dennis.

When I do as you have instructed, I get the Windows Narrator. ??????????? Oh well. To hibernate I just shut the "lid" to my laptop...same effect.

Reply by Dennis Larson on 10/19/07 5:08pm
Msg #217412

Re: It dosen't work for me, Dennis.

Becca, to put your computer into hibernation, you must first have a computer whose components and BIOS support this option. My laptop does, but some laptops do not.

Nope, closing the lid on a laptop puts it in "Standby" mode (it still has power). It'll come out of standby much faster though, so you probably don't need it on a laptop anyhow.

This is primarily for Desktops. Kind'a hard to shut the lid on a desktop. Hibernation is different though because the computer is actually powered down. When you put your computer into hibernation, everything in computer memory is saved on your hard disk before it hibernates. When you turn the computer back on, all programs and documents that were open when you hibernated are restored. Still much faster than a cold start.

Reply by Lee/AR on 10/19/07 12:54pm
Msg #217334

Only one question....

you said "press the power button". Now if I just knew what that was.... and where?????
Really technically-challenged here.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/19/07 12:56pm
Msg #217335

Try your ON-OFF function ;) n/m

Reply by Dennis Larson on 10/19/07 4:33pm
Msg #217392

Re: Only one question....

Lee, your power button is probably located right next to your 710 thingey. If you're not sure what your 710 thingey looks like, Click Here>> http://www.hotautoweb.com/cogifs/710.jpg

Dennis
(Knowledge...free to take. Bring your own container)

Reply by Ernest__CT on 10/20/07 10:44am
Msg #217500

I've often wondered what the 710 thingie was! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.