Notary Rotary
Acknowledgment and Jurat Stamps
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by Harry [NR] on 10/7/07 3:03pm
Msg #215337

For those of you interested in acknowledgment and jurat stamps...

The more text/wording your state requires, the larger the stamp is going to be. Take the recent request for an Idaho stamp, for example. Here is the ID acknowledgment:

State of Idaho
County of ___________

On this ___ day of ______________, in the year of 20___, before me __________, personally appeared _____________________________ proved to me on the basis of satisfactory evidence to be the person(s) whose name(s) is (are) subscribed to the within instrument, and acknowledged that he (she)(they) executed the same.

Now, as far as self-inkers go, we can get that on a stamp with an impression area of 3" w x 1.5" h. The mount for that stamp, however, is fairly huge. It's about 3.5" wide x 2" deep x 4.5" high. Think of it as hanging on to about 1/3 of a full-size brick.

If we make those available, is anyone going to buy them?

There are a few options beyond self-inkers that could also be considered: traditional rubber hand stamps with separate pad, pre-inked gel or laser foam stamps, and pre-inked flash. There are pros and cons to each. We're just not sure what people are wanting when it comes to stamps with large amounts of text, so we haven't committed to getting them into the store on a large scale.

Harry
Notary Rotary

Reply by Lee/AR on 10/7/07 4:32pm
Msg #215342

Also wonder where you'd find the white space to pop this 1 1/2" X 3" impression? And what size would the type be to fit in that small an area? How do you legibly squeeze 2 people's names in what I think will turn out to be a really tiny space? And, when it's all done, is some County Recorder going to have a big problem with this? They sure don't make it simple, do they?

Reply by MelissaM_FL on 10/7/07 5:24pm
Msg #215346

In my experience, by the time I use one of those stamps, it's just as easy to use a loose acknowledgment or jurat.

Reply by Signing_Doc on 10/7/07 7:35pm
Msg #215357

Re: it's just as easy to use a loose acknowledgment or jurat

I usually use a loose ack also...HOWEVER Sheriff Joe and his people do not accept them when they are attached to an Appearance Bond. I have been doing some notary work with a new bailbondman in the area. He has brough me his Appearance Bond to be notarized. There was not any preprinted statement but there was room for my stamp. Per my state notary handbook, I attached a Loose Ack to the form, completed it correctly and sent the man on his way. The deputy at the jail would not accept the loose ack and stated that it MUST be on the front of the bond. This bailbondmen went to another notary in the are who had a stamp made up measuring approx 1" by 2" with the following words on it:

STATE OF ARIZONA
County of ___________

This instrument was acknowledged before me this____day of______20__, by ____________. In witness whereof I herewith set my hand and official seal.
_______________________NOTARY PUBLIC

This was acceptable to the deputy and it met the minimum required by the state. So I'm going to get a stamp made up in case a loose ack is not acceptable again. Just a thought

"Doc"

Reply by CopperheadVA on 10/7/07 8:16pm
Msg #215362

In some states, such as here in VA, we are no longer allowed to use loose certificates. Notary certificate MUST appear on the same page as the signer's signature. My ack & jurat stamps have been lifesavers.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 10/7/07 8:28pm
Msg #215364

Harry, I would definitely purchase these stamps (once my current ones are expired, as they list my comm exp date). I currently have traditional rubber stamps, but when I make my next purchase I would be interested in having a self-inking or a pre-inked stamp. If there were some markings on the outside of the mount that showed where the borders of the actual stamp impression are in relation to the mount, that is very helpful when placing the stamp in an area that has a tight fit.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/7/07 8:32pm
Msg #215365

I always had a problem when I was putting my seal on the marriage license when I performed a wedding as the space to put the seal is small. I eventually had my husband mark the outside of the seal so I knew the area where the wording was so I could stamp the marriage license without a problem.

Reply by Signing_Doc on 10/7/07 9:53pm
Msg #215368

A definate YES in case I didn't make myself clear Harry!!! n/m

Reply by Kathy/ID on 10/8/07 8:16am
Msg #215382

Re: A definate YES in case I didn't make myself clear Harry!

Idaho's wording is not special but they do not want you to use a loose unless there is no place on the front or back of the page to write or type the ack or jurat. (if incorrect) That is why I was asking about the stamps.

I would purchase a stamp as it would look better than handwritting.

Reply by Tannis Zamora on 10/8/07 12:32pm
Msg #215433

Harry, I would be interested in whatever form you can economically make for us that would work. The LOOSE Acks and Jurats have always been a major concern for me.

tannis zamora TN

Reply by Laurie Harper on 10/8/07 2:13pm
Msg #215449

I would order a self inker for California. Thanks, Laurie

Reply by Heidi Dauzat on 10/8/07 3:26pm
Msg #215465

A NOTARY'S SIGNATURE IS HIS/HER STAMP.. IN LOUISIANA, BUT FOR A MORE PROFESSIONAL LOOK I ALSO USE A SELF-INKING STAMP THE SIZE IS ABOUT 2'' X 1'' BOXED FRAME STAMP WHICH IS CLEARLY NOTICABLE TO SEE. OUR NEW LAW JUST PASSED THIS YEAR THAT A NOTARY'S IDENTIFICATION NUMBER AND HIS/HER PRINTED NAME BE TYPE/PRINTED/ OR STAMPED WITH EACH AND EVERY SIGNATURE ON EVERY ACT THEREON..

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.