Notary Rotary
Attn: AL., notaries...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by Charm_AL on 10/19/07 8:09am
Msg #217258

I conducted a nice signing last night with an 'investment borrower'. We got to talking about the metal embosser required on our notary blocks. He stated that he has had several closings with notaries who are using stamps. Stop! You are legally required to use the embosser in Alabama, also stated that he hasn't seen but a few notaries pull out a journal of notarial events....another NO-NO!...get a grip

Reply by howard53 on 10/19/07 5:12pm
Msg #217415

Not me I use them both the embrosser and Journal

Reply by Tony_FL on 10/19/07 6:05pm
Msg #217430

Actually the state of Alabama says:

Section 36-20-32
Seal.

For the authentication of his official acts, each such notary must provide a seal of office which must present, by its impression, his name, office and the state for which he was appointed.
(Acts 1943, No. 431, p. 400, §3.)

A "stamp", leaves an impression (doesn't say it has to be embossed). As long as the "stamp" provides all of the necessary information, it sounds like it would meet the requirement of this section.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.