Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Borrower calls and wants an Attorney instead of me....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by laurielnc on 10/2/07 11:50am
Msg #214235

Does this happen very often and is there anyway to stop it from happening in what I say to the borrowers? When I called to confirm signing they were fine with me but 2 minutes later the signing company calls and cancels and explains that borrowers want an attorney. I've been doing signings for almost 2 years and sometimes they are shocked that I'm not an attorney but go through or take their papers to an attorney afterwards (before 3 days are up). Just wondering, in these slow times every closing that flys helps.

Reply by Phillip/TX on 10/2/07 12:13pm
Msg #214242

I have never had them request an attorney. BUT I have had to tell the signing company that an attorney is required. Texas has a law that if you are getting money out of your refi that it must be closed in an attorney office or title company. I have been able to get the borrowers to go to a title company before, but no such luck with an attorney's office, as they want to do the closing!

Don't take it as a negative to you Laurie, in these times, with the number of ruthless companies out there, we may all see more of that... where the borrower asks for an attorney. But they can be guaranteed that their fee for that request will be in a much higher ballpark than us as a notary would be.

Let's hope that October is a much better month than September was.

Reply by SShoreDude on 10/2/07 12:14pm
Msg #214244

I know, this kind of thing really stinks. Dont worry about it though. I am an attorney and a borrower requeted an attorney one time and the title company just switched it to another attorney and didnt even bother checking with me to see if i was one.

Huh.

Reply by Roger Proctor Sr on 10/2/07 2:11pm
Msg #214284

I had a reverse mortgage friday received the assisgment on thursday called me told me that client wanted to sign at laywers office - fine with me i said - I wasn't sure who knew more about the documents me or the lawyer - i will have to give myself the vote.....lol

Reply by Phillip/TX on 10/2/07 4:31pm
Msg #214318

That has happened to me too Roger!!! They sit down and start trying to tell the borrower about it, and the borrower by Federal Law has to go to a class about the loan in the first place (either in person or on the phone), so they already know everything about the loan.

But I vote for you too... been there done that!!!

Reply by Roger Proctor Sr on 10/2/07 4:47pm
Msg #214323

Thanks for your vote that makes 2 - oh wait a minute my wife says she will vote for me if I take out the garbage...woohoo 3 votes and counting....lol
Have a good one!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.