Notary Rotary
Consider your fee
Notary Discussion History

Consider your fee
Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by ME/NJ on 10/27/07 11:26pm
Msg #218633

Consider your fee

I know almost all of us may of been asked to reduce fees in one way or another. I have seen reduced closing cost by big banks Citi, Chase and few big players. I have also seen broker fees go up alot.

If you lower your fee, it is alot harder to come back up. I do give discounts based on volume work, but if its a once a month gig my standard rate applies.

just food for thought.

Reply by TRG_wy on 10/28/07 6:44am
Msg #218645

I agree. In no way can I accept new fees which are lower than those of 10 years ago. Shame on them for even suggesting it. Why should my fee go down when others involved in the process go up (i.e. the appraiser). It costs me a lot more today than it did 10 years ago to stay in business - let alone make any sort of profit on my time and experience.

I say that the SS needs to reduce their cut. They do the volume and can afford it. If they can't, then they are the ones that can be eliminated from the process. As a booking agent/headhunter their current take is too high.

Don't accept the lower fee and short change yourself. If the SS cries that they only make $XX.00 it isn't my fault that they shorted themselves so don't expect me to lower my cost of doing business to cover them.

Reply by Ernest__CT on 10/28/07 10:56pm
Msg #218727

Why I do not accept $40.00 signings

1. I never over-book. If I find that I misheard a date (which has happened once in the past year, before that ?), I call and confess that I misunderstood. Having a low-fee signing scheduled when a regular normal-fee client called requesting the same date and time would mean turning down a higher fee.

2. Being a Mobile Notary Public and a Notary Signing Agent is the way I make my (meager) living. I cannot afford to pay all the expenses associated with my car, cell phone, et cetera, for such a low fee, let alone being fairly compensated for the time preparing for a signing, traveling, doing the actual signing, double- and triple-checking the docs, dropping the docs, and filing the paperwork.

3. If anyone were to accept $40.00 signings in October and November, what fee would be offered in December?r $35.00?r What about in the merry month of May?r $30.00?r $25.00?r

4. No matter how small the package is promised to be, unless it _truly_ is only a dozen pages or so, a small package takes nearly the same amount of time as a larger package. Most of the time spent for a loan signing is for preparation, travel, packaging, and record keeping. None of those times are reduced because of the package size, only the time at the signing table (_usually_).

5. As strange as it seems, borrowers (and other signers) often have _more_ questions when the package is small, resulting in as much or more time spent at the signing table.

6. In the extremely rare cases that the number of pages was known to be very small, business was slow, the apointment was near another previously-scheduled signing time and location, and I accepted a less than reasonable fee, the eventual payment was so slow in coming that I thought that I would not be paid at all. Phone calls, emails, and faxes trying to collect on past due invoices eats up time, for which the Notary is never paid.

7. If I were to accept a $40.00 signing, I would not only cheapen myself, I show lack of respect for every other Notary's time as well. I am a professional and deserve to be treated as one. If I do not respect my value then nobody else will either.

Reply by FeliseSoCal on 10/29/07 12:42pm
Msg #218751

Re: Why I do not accept $40.00 signings

I agree. Accepting such a low fee is ridiculous. At the end of the day. You could make more money working at Walmart.

Reply by TRG_wy on 10/29/07 2:06pm
Msg #218763

Re: Why I do not accept $40.00 signings

I could have written that and signed my name to it - LOL
Truer words never spoken and I'm sure there are others here that could say the same.

Thanks Ernest

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.