Notary Rotary
Date Stamps
Notary Discussion History

Date Stamps
Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by LJ on 10/6/07 1:49pm
Msg #215243

Date Stamps

I have been requested twice in the last week NOT to have the borrowers date ANYTHING, not 1 thing. They will use a date stamp when they get it back. I have also had one this week that already had the date stamped on every document (except my notary part of course). Having the date already done is nice for the borrowers.

I don't have a problem with the docs already date stamped for our signing date, but not having the borrowers date anything at all and leave all dates blank while at the table is a bit risky I would think. Have others had this and what do you do? I personally wouldn't like to sign anything that someone else could put any date on it they wish, whenever they wish.

I had a borrower "overwrite" on a date one time and had to go back to get it re-signed and re-dated. I also have companies that tell me "please don't miss any dates".
Conflicting to say the least.

Reply by janie/vt on 10/6/07 2:04pm
Msg #215247

Was this a countrywide. I have had them reject loans because date was not clear. Title company sent a date stamp for me to use on countrywide loans.

Reply by Barb/MO on 10/6/07 2:16pm
Msg #215248

I had my first one of those this week, as well

It was a CW. It came from a new-to-me, different office of my favorite title company for which I do a lot of signings. I was uncomfortable with it, as well, because I felt as if I was leaving the package partially incomplete. The package was to be sent back to one of the two offices of the title company that I've been sending these to all along, not back to this new-to-me office. I put a note in with mine sharing my feelings and telling them to let me know if they'd rather I go ahead to have the borrowers date.

I did have borrowers date the RTC. I just made sure it was done very neatly.

There also were a couple of other issues with this one that I don't normally have, but we were able to complete the signing, with an understanding that the issues would be addressed the next day.

Reply by Todd/OH on 10/7/07 5:56pm
Msg #215348

Re: I had my first one of those this week, as well

This is interesting since CW has required the borrower to write the date clearly in "their" handwriting.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 10/6/07 2:27pm
Msg #215251

My favorite TC does this all the time. Very specific instructions to use blue ink and borrowers are NOT to date their signatures. (Notary may date all notary certificates.) All the loans I have done for them (except one) have been CW. Only a couple of times have the borrowers refused to comply with this. The first time, I received permission for the B's to date the docs, with the admonition that dates were very clearly written. After that, I purchased a date stamp and I use that when necessary. However, I make sure the date is perfectly stamped (I change out with B's copy if a date comes out poorly when I stamp).

Since CW is so picky, I honestly don't know why they don't pre-date the area next to the B's signature in the first place!

Reply by Barb/MO on 10/6/07 2:29pm
Msg #215253

Re CW pre-dating since they're so picky ... Amen to that! n/m

Reply by Linda Juenger on 10/6/07 3:26pm
Msg #215255

Yes, they are CW loans - but different TC's n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/7/07 12:57am
Msg #215295

And then there are some companies that will prohibit you from using date stamps OR from dating any of the documents for the borrowers.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 10/7/07 7:51am
Msg #215306

Re: Date Stamps - Good point

Very good point! I would never use a date stamp unless instructed to, or received permission for.

Reply by Sharon Taylor on 10/7/07 8:29am
Msg #215312

Some borrowers are very sloppy with dates

Even though you tell them to be careful and write the date clearly, and you're trying to watch them like a hawk, they will still slip back to their old sloppy way of writing it partway through the package as they begin to relax.
And there are so many ways to write a date - 1/1/07, 01/01/07, 1/1/2007, 1/1/7, 01/01/7, 1-1-07, 01-01-01, 1-1-2007, 1-1-7, 01-01-07, just to show a few. Borrowers really mess up certain numbers too - often a 7 will look like a 9 or vice versa, for example.
I love it when the docs are predated so all the borrower has to do is sign. I print dates clearly, but companies do not want the notary to date for the borrower. I've done it a couple of times for elderly and/or disabled borrowers who had to struggle just to sign, but I call the title company first to get permission to date for the borrower and explain why.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 10/7/07 9:16am
Msg #215317

Re: Some borrowers are very sloppy with dates

Don't forget the military way of dating Jan. 01-07

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/7/07 9:58am
Msg #215321

Linda
I have to think sometimes before I date anything. October 7th to me for years was 7/10
now I have to remember it is 10/7

Reply by CopperheadVA on 10/7/07 11:36am
Msg #215326

Actually I think the military way to date that one is "01 Jan 2007" or "1 Jan 2007". At least that's what I have seen in my area.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 10/7/07 3:14pm
Msg #215338

That's what I have seen also for military sorry ty n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.