Notary Rotary
Desperate - Update
Notary Discussion History

Desperate - Update
Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by LC/FL on 10/3/07 5:27pm
Msg #214603

Desperate - Update

I have spoken with the attorney office and left a message for the attorney (info provided yesterday) he was ill today but I was told he would phone me tomorrow.

I have spoken with the EEOC in Jacksonville and was told that since it was not a case of discrimination as both of us were white and female that they didnt feel they could assist me. The gentleman was kind enough to take both my phone and email and said he would see if he could locate an avenue I had not attempted. I explained the whole situation to him and although he seemed sympathetic to the issue he seemed pretty adamant that he was unaware of any law wherein an employer was REQUIRED to be nice or make others be nice.

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, and suggestions. I am continuing to follow up on researching anything I can find and hope the attorney's that I called will call me back with additional options. Thank you all as well for your candid statements as they have certainly helped me look at it with different eyes. I am certain that I DO NOT WANT to be a victim and MUST find an alternative.

God bless, Liza

Reply by TMNOTARY/KY on 10/3/07 6:14pm
Msg #214618

doesn't matter what color or sex you are

It is a federal law. I did a cut and past of just the first few lines/para. of the law. You can read the rest if you go into the eeoc's website. It is on the first screen/page of the site under harassment. But here is the first part of it. and hope this helps

Harassment is a form of employment discrimination that violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, (ADEA), and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, (ADA).

Harassment is unwelcome conduct that is based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, and/or age. Harassment becomes unlawful where 1) enduring the offensive conduct becomes a condition of continued employment, or 2) the conduct is severe or pervasive enough to create a work environment that a reasonable person would consider intimidating, hostile, or abusive. Anti-discrimination laws also prohibit harassment against individuals in retaliation for filing a discrimination charge, testifying, or participating in any way in an investigation, proceeding, or lawsuit under these laws; or opposing employment practices that they reasonably believe discriminate against individuals, in violation of these laws.

Petty slights, annoyances, and isolated incidents (unless extremely serious) will not rise to the level of illegality. To be unlawful, the conduct must create a work environment that would be intimidating, hostile, or offensive to reasonable people.

Reply by LC/FL on 10/3/07 6:23pm
Msg #214621

Re: doesn't matter what color or sex you are

Boy you are WONDERFUL. I will be on the phone AGAIN with them tomorrow. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Reply by Linda Juenger on 10/3/07 8:10pm
Msg #214655

Re: doesn't matter what color or sex you are

When my husband and I owned our business, we had insurance that covered sexual or any kind of harrassment that we could be accused of by our employees. I couldn't believe they actually offered that kind of insurance for the employer. And, I'm thankful that not one of our employees ever had a reason to sue us. I was the one abused by the employees. lol

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/3/07 6:19pm
Msg #214620

If it's THAT bad I don't know why you'd even go back, no job is worth that. At the very least I hope you've been sending out resumes since this all started, I would hate to think you haven't even bothered to do that much.

Reply by LC/FL on 10/3/07 6:25pm
Msg #214622

I am sending out 20+ per day, every opening I can find in our paper, monster jaxjobs.com etc. But I cant pay my house payment or car payment with no job. But I AM trying to get out! AND SOON/FAST.

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/4/07 12:52am
Msg #214676

Well I hope something pans out for you soon, nobody needs that much stress in life.

Reply by sue_pa on 10/4/07 7:28am
Msg #214686

I'll say

stabbed, shot, emotionally traumitized, serious car accident, work with no pay, now being physically abused at work. And no lawyer or law enforcement or governmental agency will help !!!!

I do have a question and perhaps a brand new thread labeled signing agents with physical disabilities would be best for it. How in the world do you work as a signing agent and take a service animal (assuming a dog) into a person's home. I truly am VERY curious about this. We talk about our interaction with borrower's animals (good and bad) but never to my recollection from the other side. I remember Eric from TN had hearing problems (not sure of the pc term) and he actually did quite well as a signing agent. He had some type ability to communicate with his customers although I can't remember exactly how it worked.

Reply by LC/FL on 10/5/07 8:29am
Msg #214930

Re: I'll say

I have a 3 lb chihuahua, he goes everywhere with me in a purse made just for him. He is on my shoulder or sat on the floor during the signing and have never had but one incident where I was concerned. That borrower had a rott that would not leave me alone, trying to get into my lab and I was concerned that mine would get squashed in the process. But even then he never made a sound.

He whines when I am going into an asthema or panic attack. Then instead of having to take drugs I take him in my arms and the attack USUALLY goes away. Sometimes it is severe enough that it take a few minutes but most times it passes. He is NEVER more than arms reach from me for this reason. He sleeps with me, showers with me, goes to work with me and to signings with me. He has probably saved my life as I have had times where the asthema attacks have been severe enough I couldnt operate the puffers or machine I have to carry and because of him I have not needed them nearly as often for the last 2 years (length of time I have had him).

Before he came into my life I had been in respiratory arrest 2 different times and one of those times I was about to be trached. So I value him immensly.

Reply by CJ/OR on 10/6/07 6:50pm
Msg #215268

Re: I'll say

PC Term --- hearing impaired. But, I just use deaf ... haven't had a problem

Well, we had a thread started by LC regarding disabilities. Read it, please. You'll understand why its not safe to discuss those types of issues in this forum.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.