Notary Discussion History

Did the new 2008 Calif Notary laws get signed? n/m
Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by Joan Bergstrom on 10/15/07 10:53am
Msg #216519

Did the new 2008 Calif Notary laws get signed? n/m

Reply by davidK/CA on 10/15/07 12:30pm
Msg #216544

Re: Did the new 2008 Calif Notary laws get signed?

AB886 was signed by the Governor on October 10, 2007.

I guess as of January 1, 2008 there will be no more identification by personal knowledge, only by satisfactory knowledge. I guess it's time to print out new Acknowledgement forms for next year.

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/15/07 1:32pm
Msg #216553

Re: Did the new 2008 Calif Notary laws get signed?

So we won't be able to notarize somebody we personally know without proper ID, but we'll still be able to notarize a complete stranger without proper ID as long as 2 other complete strangers tell us that he is who he says he is? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Reply by John_NorCal on 10/15/07 4:08pm
Msg #216576

Our legislature hard at work again! n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/17/07 1:16am
Msg #216869

LOL!! Excellent point!! n/m

Reply by Marlene/USNA on 10/15/07 2:02pm
Msg #216558

Click here. . .

. . .http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_0851-0900/ab_886_bill_20071010_chaptered.pdf

Notice, too, that the wording on the acknowledgment has changed to include your certification under penalty of perjury that the notary wording is true. And that you can use acknowledgments of other states that are on the document. And a whole host of other things.

Reply by christiSocal on 10/15/07 2:28pm
Msg #216564

Thanks for the link Marlene

Good thing to have. But I agree with Cali, it is pretty silly to ok strangers to ID people, but not us! Oh well, Government is ahhhh - interesting....

Reply by Terri_CA on 10/15/07 7:01pm
Msg #216601

Another Interesting Change

Local Authorities will now be able to investigate claims.... This means a lot more "eyes" on your work. So instead of filing a claim against a notary via the SOS, the public can go to their local police authority and file a complaint which can be investigate, prosecuted, etc. through that jurisdiction. Wanna guess how many cases are going to be filed that way! Pretty scary if you ask me.

For California Notaries: Start to seriously consider how you are completing your journal. I've heard from a legal secretary (best friend) who's talked to attorneys involved in litigation with notaries, and they are looking at how meticulous we are at maintaining the data required in the journal. And how we are maintaining it according to Notary law.

This is why I teach and advocate, that CA notaries make an entry for EACH and EVERY notarization, even if its the same doc, but two copies, thus two entries and two signatures; and with loan signing, every doc gets its own entry and its own signature! (I get fingerprints for EVERY entry. FYI - I use the NotaryRotary Journal, but I don't want to have to pay to defend myself, when my journal can do that "talking" for me!

I'd hate to see anyone have to put out $$$$ to defend their actions if they don't have too.

However, I don't have to defend what others do, I can only provide guidance, and we all have free will! Smile

Terri
Lancaster, CA

Reply by Michyt_CA on 11/5/07 12:03pm
Msg #219776

Re: Another Interesting Change

Thanks for the link. I have been looking for the new wording so I can be ready Jan 1.

Reply by Michyt_CA on 11/5/07 12:03pm
Msg #219777

Re: Another Interesting Change

Thanks for the link. I have been looking for the new wording so I can be ready Jan 1.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.