Posted by jba/fl on 10/19/07 1:07am
Msg #217242

For Mentorship Pilot Program

I know that this is sure to generate controversy today:

"NNA Seeking Experienced NSAs For Mentorship Pilot Program

By Kelly Rush
[e-mail address]
NSA Now: Issue #94 — October 2007

The National Notary Association is seeking experienced NSAs in every state to mentor and coach fledgling Signing Agents in a pilot program that will match veterans with those needing help.

The NNA regularly receives requests for help from NSAs around the country who have just completed their training and are looking for an experienced Signing Agent to provide advice or let them ride along on an assignment.

The program will match new NSAs with mentors in their state and as close to their hometown as possible. Interested Signing Agents should send their names, states, hometowns and eMail addresses to [e-mail address] to be added to a database that will only be accessible to NNA members when the program goes live.

Participant mentors can earn rewards and special recognition from the NNA for their valuable contributions to educating newcomers.

Veteran Notary Signing Agents must be regularly available as an advisor in order to qualify. Those seeking mentors will simply browse through the list of available Signing Agents on the NNA’s Web page, and contact the mentor directly via eMail.

Listed mentors whose heavy schedules temporarily prevent them from taking on new learners will be able to indicate this status online."

________
Now, last para. says can indicate heavy schedule - certainly not in this business right now. They just go ahead and continue to be mynah birds repeating relentlessly. Great riches I suppose.

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/19/07 1:49am
Msg #217244

Translation

Our signing agent classes don't teach these suckers jack $hit, so we want you to pick up the slack for us for free.

And the sad part is that there are plenty of dumb signing agents who will sign up to be mentors because they like feeling important.

Reply by ZeeCA on 10/19/07 2:08am
Msg #217246

Re: Translation

I betcha they will give 'points' and you can buy at a discount nifty crap with their logo plastered all over it...........

gosh run quick to sign up... prolly be a long line to get in................

Smile

Reply by CJ on 10/19/07 8:58am
Msg #217270

When I was new

I got their business cards with my name on it and proudly handed them out. I realized I was advertising more for them than for me, and I was hurting my business rather than enhancing it. I threw out all my cards and want nothing to do with them.

Reply by Kate/CA on 10/19/07 12:09pm
Msg #217316

CaliNotary,

You mean you don't want to train your competion? So they can get the signings and not charge what they should be charging?

Kinda, makes you feel like maybe, some of the companies are complaining to the NNA about the quality of the notaries that the NNA have taught, lately?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/19/07 1:27pm
Msg #217349

This is one reason that the last place I look for a signing agent is the NNA website.
Their signing agents very often have no clue as to what they are doing.

Even when I find a signing agent elsewhere I am wary of those who are NNA 'certified".
I always check to see how long that signing agent has been a notary in the State of Florida before hiring. I want experience.

Reply by MelissaCT on 10/24/07 10:43am
Msg #217997

Re: But they're the *only accredited* training available...

LOL -- that really speaks highly of their accreditation, doesn't it??

Reply by MichiganAl on 10/19/07 2:13am
Msg #217247

They meant to say failing agents, not fledgling agents n/m

Reply by JK/TX on 10/19/07 7:26am
Msg #217253

Re: They meant to say failing agents, not fledgling agents

that are flooding NNA phone line with questions. NNA is a real piece of work! Sounds like they are saying, "We have created a monster and need help!"

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/19/07 11:30am
Msg #217306

Maybe they meant flailing agents? n/m

Reply by Sharon Taylor on 10/19/07 7:23am
Msg #217252

Wow! A chance to train your competition!

The Great American Dream - you've worked hard for several years to build a good relationship between yourself and the companies that call you based on your knowledge and expertise (along with your positive can-do attitude and willingness to go the extra mile and more). You're doing OK, not rich, but OK, especially since you already have active competition in your area for the finite number of closings available. And now the market has slowed considerably so that the finite number of closings has been reduced considerably, but the number of already-available notaries in your area has not, so competition is higher and closings are fewer.
And now you are offered a wonderful opportunity to increase the competition in your area for those finite number of closings, thus reducing your income while training that competition.
If you really want to reduce your work load and the number of signings you're doing, just check out the other notaries already working in your area, pick one or two that you feel will do the same great job you do, and arrange to pass on to them any calls you get that you have to turn down.
Here, a couple of good notaries that I had made friends with and I had a reciprocal "mentoring" arrangement - anytime any of us had to turn down a job, we would give the caller the contact info for the other two, and we chatted often. Both left the business a couple of years ago, one quitting for a different job and one because her full-time job and a social organization she belonged to were eating up all her time), and they continued to give my contact information to all callers.
When I'm ready to slow down (unfortunately the market has done that, instead) or retire, I'll look at the notaries already active in my area and choose one or two of them to pass on any calls I have to turn down. I will NOT mentor new competition for them or me!

Reply by CF on 10/19/07 7:57am
Msg #217255

Re: Wow! A chance to train your competition!

Already had a person call me in my same town, no less, for help. Said that XYZ had told them to do so. She left a message at first and I almost ran the car off the road when I listened to the message and she clearly said that XYZ had told to her to call me. This was in August when I had about 12 jobs total for the month! I was soooo angry- that I was going to give her a peice of my mind. Well, I cooled off for a bit and then called her back- Instead, I told her that everything that she had paid for and been taught WAS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN- THERE ARE NO JOBS FOR A NSA RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!! Actually, told her that I had went back to work b/c of the problems in the market and told her that I did this on a part time basis. (Which is not the case!!!) Well, she told me that she was only going to do it for "extra" money! Good thing.....cause I need jobs in my area to pay my bills and run a professional business!!!!!!!!!! In the end I told her that she would not make any money right now and she was asking how she would get paid....I told her that it can take up to 60 days to get paid(if you are lucky)....she was not happy about that. Anyway- this is one of the most bogus things that they could do right now. Yes, that is how I got started but how I have survived for 4 years has been on my own accord and the fact that I had business acumen to start with! I was in sales in marketing for many years and this was a big "leap of faith" for me to starting running a business. However, I did it...and I will still be standing when the dust settles!!!!!! No help from XYZ ...cant beleive that their doors are still open...I wonder haw many people they have downsized????

Reply by MotoNoto on 10/19/07 8:18am
Msg #217262

Isn't that what this forum is about - mentoring, helping, sharing opinions, etc.? NNA does't even have a forum/message board. It just looks attractive to newbies to join an organization that offers "support."

Reply by CF on 10/19/07 8:24am
Msg #217263

NO that is not their point at all....why would I ever help someone in my town? Not to be rude...but are you new to the industry? Would you help someone in your back yard? Why would you? That would take business away from youself. If you let someone know what you do to be successful....then they will start to get calls that could have went to you. It is like the "secret recepie" ...I can share information with someone in CA that has nothing to do with my market. I have a lot of "professionals" in my immediate area....we are all competing for the same job- I will be da@@ed if some new part-timer takes away a job that could have paid for my high speed internet that runs my professional business. Why would I help someone to take my $$$$$ away from me? Even in a professional sales setting.....people have protected territorites- anyone can come in on this and take your business from you! If you are stupid enough to help someone take you business then shame on you! Not going to be the case with me!

Reply by CF on 10/19/07 8:32am
Msg #217264

I addition: if you actually have someone call you with this request....you will feel differently than just reading this information. I had someone call me to aske for my help to make them $$$ which would mean to make myself less $$$$$. So- call me crazy....but I am not down with that! When XYZ starts handing out $$$$ just to help us out....then that will be their payback for what they have done to the professionals.

Reply by sue_pa on 10/19/07 8:32am
Msg #217265

I received a mass e-mail from a guy about 20 miles north of me not too long ago. Wow, he's 'certified'. I noticed that he offers his services (had the little NNA chart) for $85 e-docs. I also loved his/their 2 hour cancellation fee. Good luck collecting that !!! Some of the companies he contacted are willing to pay $175. Should they contact him, and I doubt they will because they are not necessarily interested in cheap but in accurate and they would realize anyone with experience doesn't routinely charge $85 for e-docs, I wonder how they'll get along when they send 12 attachments 5 minutes prior to the closing, make you use a date stamp, and don't tell you up front about the fax backs - none of which matter at the $175 fee but at $85, he sure won't be a happy camper and they won't be happy with his moaning and complaining. I believe I'll keep an eye on this guy to see how long he lasts. DB, WE ARE NOT IN CA. You can get much higher fees here. We do NOT have the saturation CA has. If you know what you are doing, charge accordingly.

Reply by CJ on 10/19/07 9:27am
Msg #217273

If you owned a shop

If you owned a shop, let's say a florist shop, and one of your customers said, "Gee, this looks like fun. Is it lucrative? How can I do this too?" And they wanted to open their shop next door to yours, would you tell them, "Wonderful! You can work here for free, and I will show you all my tricks!" Let's even say they took a florist class at the college, you know there is more to running a business than making the boquets. How do you get your customers? What happens if a wedding is cancelled? Do you charge extra is you have to work evengins, weekends and holidays? Even if they open their shop a few blocks away, they are still taking your customers.

In my neighborhood, there is a Mexican lady who has a portable florist shop on a vacant lot intersection. She just pulls up her van, sets up an awning, and sets out buckets of flowers. I think about all the florists that have to pay rent, untilities, business taxes, get a business liscence, and this Mexican is undercutting all of them. It is not right.

We worked hard to build our business, build our clientele, spend our "free time" chasing down checks. When other people are watching TV at night or spending the holidays with their families, we were sitting at some strangers house while they say, "Well, I'm not signing ANYTHING until I read it." And now someone says, "I want some of your money too, but just for extra spending money, like manicures and vacations, so teach me how to take it out of your pocket."

(And I am not going to backstab any fellow notary by teaching someone outside of my territory either, because I don't want someone far away making new compitition for me.)

Reply by Becca_FL on 10/19/07 9:21am
Msg #217272

Here's a clue NNA...Why not develop a training program that teaches greenhorns how to succeed in this business? Why not back up your claims without having to use (and I do mean use) those that have succeeded in spite of the NNA's crappy training and misleading information?

Cali is right. The self-important NSAs will flock to this program. What a joke.

Reply by BetsyMI on 10/19/07 9:32am
Msg #217275

"The program will match new NSAs with mentors in their state and as close to their hometown as possible".....geeh how convenient!

Reply by Rose/CA on 10/19/07 10:02am
Msg #217280

what about confidentiality w/BO's docs..

wouldn't it be an issue also for a "mentor" to bring along another party who had no real bearing on the document signing? I would be concerned as a borrower if someone brought along a trainee or observer and would probably cancel the signing.

Reply by Becca_FL on 10/19/07 10:08am
Msg #217281

Good point, Rose what about being GLBA compliant? n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/19/07 10:12am
Msg #217282

Re: what about confidentiality w/BO's docs..

I would never take another party to a signing. My husband always drove me and he stayed in the vehicle reading a book. The only times he went into the signing is if a witness was needed and borrowers didn't have one.
As a signing service, if one of my signers took another person to the signing (unless needed as a witness) I would not use them again.

Reply by Alice/MD on 10/19/07 10:58am
Msg #217293

Re: For Mentor ship Pilot Program

Great, after I had to get a Title Insurance Producer License, paying an outrageous amount of money for Surety bond and CEU's to renew my license; I am going to mentor some rookie?
Maybe NNA should start to be an advocate for higher pay for us in this industry. What is this all about? Are we in this business for the fun of it?

Reply by Charles_Ca on 10/19/07 11:07am
Msg #217298

Yes Becca, this program is designed for the FlaMacs of this

world. Can you see the great habits some of these mentored NSA will develop? Only some self delusional NSA like FlaMac would consider this to make herself feel important and relevant.

Reply by docs1954CA on 10/19/07 10:39am
Msg #217287

I'll sign up to mentor someone!

But here's what I'll tell them:
You need to get a refund from XYZ, because you've been misled.This business is DEAD! You've been cheated!
The time and money you'll spend to get started will be wasted. You'll be sorry, trust me.
XYZ only wants your dues money every year, and to sell you every piece of crap in their catalog.
Look for a "real" job, this business isn't for a "hobbyist".
Good luck if you decide to try it, but remember, you've been warned.

Reply by Ndwa on 10/19/07 1:02pm
Msg #217341

I'm more than glad to

mentor their tyro if they'd be willing to put me on their payroll at $75/hr, benefit and mileage reimbursement.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/21/07 6:34pm
Msg #217568

This is adding insult to injury!!!

What are they smoking???!!!! When have THEY ever given anything away? Yet they expect us to do this out of the goodness of our hearts?

First, they are in essence admitting that their highly touted "Certification" is inadequate. Second, they suggest that Veteran NSAs provide this service to their graduates without recommending the recipient pay for that time and expertise, but simply do so for "rewards and special recognition" from them. How arrogant is that??!! (That and $.50 will buy you pretty much nothing these days...) And finally, they have the gall to require that the veteran NSAs "must be regularly available as an advisor in order to qualify". Puhleeeease.

All this on top of having oversaturated many market areas and driven down fees in a severely declining market. They now want us to further contribute to our own decline -- and for free??? To me, it clearly shows either a lack of understanding of our business or an extreme lack of respect or concern for those of us trying to survive as professionals in this field -- or both! This move should be listed in the dictionary under the definition of "hubris"!!!! (Just my opinion, of course.)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.