HELP ! The only ID is a VATERANS card, can I used that? TIA n/m

Reply by Amalia Contreras on 10/25/07 9:29pm
Msg #218342

Re: HELP ! The only ID is a VATERANS card, can I used that? TIA

Sorry to fast, No other ID?

Reply by Brad_CA on 10/25/07 9:42pm
Msg #218346

A. Paper Identification Documents – Identity of the signer can be established by the
notary public’s reasonable reliance on the presentation of any one of the following documents,
provided that the identification document is current or has been issued within five years
(Civil Code section 1185(c)(3) & (4)):
1. An identification card or driver’s license issued by the California Department of Motor
Vehicles;
2. A United States passport;
3. Other State-approved identification card, consisting of any one of the following, provided
that it also contains a photograph, description of the person, signature of the person, and
an identifying number –
(a) A passport issued by a foreign government, provided that it has been stamped by the
U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services;
(b) A driver’s license issued by another state or by a Canadian or Mexican public agency
authorized to issue drivers’ licenses;
(c) An identification card issued by another state;
(d) A military identification card with the required photograph, description of the person,
signature of the person, and an identifying number. (Some military identification cards do not
contain all the required information.);
(e) An inmate identification card issued by the California Department of Corrections, if the
inmate is in custody.
NOTE: The notary public must include in his or her journal the type of identifying
document, the governmental agency issuing the document, the serial or identifying number
of the document, and the date of issue or expiration of the document that was used to
establish the identity of the signer. (Government Code section 8206(a)(2)(D))

Reply by Amalia Contreras on 10/25/07 10:08pm
Msg #218351

Thank you very much for all your help.

Reply by PAW on 10/25/07 9:41pm
Msg #218345

Check your handbook

Read page 8 and top of page 9.

Reply by rengel/CA on 10/26/07 12:03am
Msg #218367

Check you state's handbook

Brad gave you the law for California and I see you are in Idaho.
Good luck!

Reply by PAW on 10/26/07 8:46am
Msg #218393

Re: Check you state's handbook

Amalia is in CA, according to her profile and the "Posted by" line in her post. I think you may have mistaken the "ID" to mean "Idaho" instead of "identification".

Reply by GF_CA on 10/26/07 12:43am
Msg #218372

Amalia you have to make some changes in your profile. 16 years as a notary???

Reply by MICarole on 10/26/07 6:31am
Msg #218379

I'm not an attorney, and this is only my opinion, but since the VA Id card is issued by the Veterans Administration, and the VA is both a Federal and State agency, it would seem to me that it would be acceptable. Although it doesn't have the veterans address on it, a military Id doesn't either (I have one).

I had the same problem a few months back, and the title company told me that I could use the card has the borrowers Id, if I was confident that the individual on the pictured on the care was indeed the borrower in question.

Reply by PAW on 10/26/07 9:04am
Msg #218396

Re: HELP ! The only ID is a VATERANS card, can I used that?

Veteran ID cards are not issued by the VA, but by a contractor to the VA, therefore it may not be considered being issued by the federal government. In my area, the cards are issued by Health Eligibility Center in Atlanta. Further, the cards, though it contains a photograph and name as provided by the vet, there is no signature, address, serial number or identifying information on the card. Most government agencies (at least here), e.g. DMV, will not accept the VA ID as valid identification in and of itself.

Reply by Amalia Contreras on 10/26/07 12:17pm
Msg #218451

Thank You Paw for the information / When I asked the BWR if he had proper ID he said yes, and stated it was a Military ID card, to my surprise it was a VA card! I'm sorry I did not make clear what I was asking this was a first for me. I contacted a Rep. from the VA and he explained exactly what Paw said.

Thank You all for your help your the BEST Smile

Reply by MICarole on 10/27/07 12:21pm
Msg #218574

Has I set here looking at my father's VA card, Paul is right on one thing, the veteran does not sign it. However, there is a color picture and the FULL name of the veteran. Also, I didn't realize that when my father's new Id was issued (I was there with him) it was a contractor and not an employee of the VA that entered his information into the computer and took his picture.

Reply by Phillip/TX on 10/26/07 9:31am
Msg #218404

What is a Vaterans card???

Reply by janCA on 10/26/07 9:42am
Msg #218407

Are you kidding me? n/m

Reply by Philip Johnson on 10/26/07 9:58am
Msg #218413

I'm a Vateran, I proudly served in the ARMEE. :) n/m

Reply by Terri_CA on 10/26/07 10:49am
Msg #218427

Brad posted the long of it, so the short and sweet answer is NO! The only ID documents acceptable in the state of CA are:

1. California ID or Driver's License
2. Any other State Driver's License or ID
3. Canadian or Mexican Driver's License
4. US Passport
5. Foreign Passport
6. Military ID - But only if the notary can view all required elements (Active Military ID NOT Acceptable for that reason).

oh yeah, one more - Inmate Identification Card, if the inmate is in custody.

Terri
Lancaster, CA

Reply by Philip Johnson on 10/26/07 10:57am
Msg #218432

Somewhat laughable isn't it?

Canadian's and Mexicans's drivers license's and criminal ID's are fine, but those folks serving in the US ARMED FORCES, their ID does not pass muster.

Reply by Terri_CA on 10/26/07 11:12am
Msg #218436

Re: Somewhat laughable isn't it?

Yes, I'm hoping that the legislation will change soon. US Passports do not contain a physical description and are excempt from having to meet that requirement. I hope that they will change the rules regarding Active Military ID and exempt it as well.

Terri
Lancaster, CA

Reply by John_NorCal on 10/26/07 12:14pm
Msg #218447

Terri, I haven't been presented with or seen an active duty military ID for some time. What elements does it not have? I remember my old ID, many years ago, had my picture, description and service number. Have things changed that much?

Reply by janCA on 10/26/07 1:01pm
Msg #218475

John, does it have your signature?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/26/07 4:40pm
Msg #218508

Re: Somewhat laughable isn't it? - John

I believe the new "smart cards" the description etc is all encrypted on a microchip embedded in the ID card.

Reply by Terri_CA on 10/27/07 12:12am
Msg #218548

Dependent and Retired Military ID has all the elements viewable by the notary. The Active Military ID does not, some of the information is in a chip like Sylvia said. Read the current Handbook, it now specifically states, some government issued ID (i.e., Military) does not have all the necessary elements and is, therefore, not useable.

Terri
Lancaster, CA

Reply by ZeeCA on 10/26/07 12:17pm
Msg #218452

Scary you even have to ask if you have been a notary as long

as you claim... the CALIF HANDBOOK is extremely clear with what is and what is NOT

jmo........but dang

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/27/07 1:39am
Msg #218551

Re: Scary you even have to ask if you have been a notary as long

My thoughts exactly! I'm not only stunned that an experienced notary would even ask this - but just as stunned that so many people would attempt to answer something that is so state-specific.

Come on, people! Study your states' notary laws! We should know this kind of thing cold, unless you're from one of those states that doesn't clearly specify. It's our responsibility to really know these kinds of basics, at the very least...

Reply by Ernest__CT on 10/27/07 10:55am
Msg #218568

Right on, JanetK_CA! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.