Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
How do you proove that you didn't make a mistake?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by lubi on 10/3/07 12:52pm
Msg #214510

I would like to know your opinion on this case: I did signing (unpleasant one) evening and I sent the package back to the SS that evening. Today I received a call from SS that Note from the package is missing. And I know that Note was there and it is not my fault. But I need to go back (40 miles) and let them sign the Note. Does it happened to you often and what do you do?
Please, if you have some ideas how to check it and be sure that it will never happen again, I will apreciate it.

Reply by BrendaTx on 10/3/07 12:57pm
Msg #214511

Just tell them no, not without an extra fee.

They want a different note signed and trying to see if you'll go along with it for no $$.

You cannot prove that something was or wasn't in the final package without a lot of work that would make this business cost prohibitive.

Why would you NOT have the note in the package? Ridiculous. Who cares if they never use you again if they are like this?

Reply by lubi on 10/3/07 12:59pm
Msg #214513

And they told me that the borrower is upset with me. I think they are encouraging people to go after notary, not them.

Reply by trnsa_IL on 10/3/07 12:58pm
Msg #214512

Do you remember having them sign a note at the closing?...

If edocs, do you still have the file so you can check it for the note?

Reply by lubi on 10/3/07 1:01pm
Msg #214514

Re: Do you remember having them sign a note at the closing?...

Yes, I have the Note. I am not upset that I need to go back, if I did a mistake. I am upset that I can proove nothing.

Reply by OR on 10/3/07 1:05pm
Msg #214518

If it is overnighted is it in the borrowers copys? Did they get 2 of them. That has happened to me when I first started out in this business. Call the borrower and ask them. I would bite the $$$ to finish the job for everyone if it was my fault. If I could prove it wasn't my fault then it is a trip fee. good luck

Reply by native/co on 10/3/07 5:34pm
Msg #214607

I have this wonderful Xerox machine with the most icredible scanner. I scan the package before I send it back and keep it on disk 'till I get paid. Sure stops invalid claims. Also eliminates faxing because it doesn't cost anything and I don't have to pick the package aprt to fax just this or that. Countrywide drives me nuts with their fax backs. This way they can zip through the scanned docsand pick out whatever they want....on their own time.

Reply by CJ on 10/3/07 1:02pm
Msg #214515

When I do a signing, I send the papers around the table one at a time, and I keep them order. Before I even start the signing, I show them the Note to make sure the loan is correct. I notice that when "they" make a mistake, they are big on blaming us.

If this happened to me. I would explain that I showed them the Note, and I put it back in the stack, then I pass the papers around in the circle, so that nothing gets lost. I would say it is not my fault, however, I "am happy" go back for free to get the signature, but I will not pay for shipping it.

They are mostly concened to get the signature, not to punish you. By working it out with them, they will see that you are helpful, and will call you again.

And the missing Note usually turns up.

Reply by CJ on 10/3/07 1:04pm
Msg #214517

See, you have the Note, so that proves that it was signed. I would just be a good sport and get it signed. Then everyone calms down, and they rememer you as being helpful.

Reply by lubi on 10/3/07 1:06pm
Msg #214520

SS wants me to send the Note to the Lender.

Reply by trnsa_IL on 10/3/07 1:10pm
Msg #214522

you have a PM =) n/m

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/3/07 1:25pm
Msg #214529

I'd maybe be a good sport if they were 5 or 10 minutes away from me. But the original poster has to drive 40 MILES to get the note resigned. That is way beyond anything reasonable.

It seems pretty obvious that they changed the note and are trying to get it signed for free, or somebody on their end lost it. That those exact three or four pages just happened to fall out of the loan package is virtually impossible.The whole thing is stupid anyway, since it's not even a notarized document, they could just send it directly to the borrower.

I agree with Brenda, you're not losing anything when you tell a company who will pull this crap on you to go pound sand. They know what they're trying to do to you so stand your ground, there's no way to prove something like this.

Reply by CJ on 10/3/07 2:00pm
Msg #214543

Oh yeah, she's right. . .

Note does not have to be notarized anyway.

Reply by MichiganAl on 10/3/07 1:28pm
Msg #214531

No way I'm driving 40 miles for free if it's not my mistake

You're just setting yourself up to be taken advantage of even more in the future. I'm for superior customer service as much as anyone, but we're not a charity.

Reply by Alice/MD on 10/3/07 1:11pm
Msg #214523

I have been blasmed for docs not being sent to me in time. The LO told borrower that the notary is at fault for late docs. I told borrower that if I had docs I would be there and the signing would be over. I don't like to be blamed for others incompetence.

Reply by lubi on 10/3/07 1:20pm
Msg #214526

for Tonya

I checked the NOTE from this package (sent today) and yesterday package - the same.

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/3/07 1:29pm
Msg #214533

Re: for Tonya

Then they lost it on their end. Which isn't entirely uncommon. I got a call once telling me I forgot to notarize a document, I told them to fax it over to me so I could see it, when they faxed it I could clearly see the staple holes from where I had attached a loose acknowledgment. How they managed to lose something that was stapled to another document is beyond me, but they did it and of course tried to blame it on me.

Reply by trnsa_IL on 10/3/07 1:40pm
Msg #214539

Re: for Tonya

Have they now sent you a loan new package or just another note?(the same note you went over with them and had them sign before)

Reply by Becca_FL on 10/3/07 1:24pm
Msg #214527

I would make them pay me to return. The Note is not notarized anyway. Why don't they just o/n it to the borrower to sign and return?

Reply by lubi on 10/3/07 1:31pm
Msg #214534

Because they are so upset with this company that they are not going to do anything for make their life easier. And wife was not happy from the beginning, no Hi, no Thank...

Reply by MichiganAl on 10/3/07 1:29pm
Msg #214532

The borrower would most certainly remember going over the note, as would you. If the borrower does indeed remember going over it, my response would be that I'm not in the habit of removing the note from a package before sending it (and for me personally, I review the package and pack it up right in front of the borrower, so there's absolutely no issue that something wasn't returned). My response would be that I'd be happy to go back for a reasonable trip fee (and I'd certainly look and see if the terms had been changed from the original).

Reply by janCA on 10/3/07 2:04pm
Msg #214545

The borrowers have the note in their copy package. If these were edoced to you, they could take this from their copies, make a copy for their records, sign and send. No need for you to drive 80 miles round trip. I have been accused on several occassions about missing documents. Since 97% of this business is edocs, all you have to do is check your email. And 100% of the time they call back and say they have found that missing doc. Well, duh!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.