Notary Rotary
How to get in the business?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2007 Index

Posted by Teresa Hernandez on 10/2/07 12:37pm
Msg #214259

How can I get in the business as a signing agent in IL-Chicagoland area? Where can I go? What should I do to get this rolling? PLEASE HELP

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/2/07 12:39pm
Msg #214262

Start by reading all the messages on this board.

This is not a good time to be a signing agent. Look at how many companies are closing their doors.

Reply by SShoreDude on 10/2/07 12:40pm
Msg #214263

Teresa,

Check down about 1/2 the page here, there is a post about a Chi-town closing which needs coverage tomorrow night. If it hasn't been filled yet, maybe it could be a start.

Reply by docs1954CA on 10/2/07 12:41pm
Msg #214264

Here we go again....newbie alert!!!! n/m

Reply by CJ/OR on 10/2/07 1:08pm
Msg #214269

First things first

1) Understand that the industry is in crisis and that many lenders are going belly up
2) Do not expect to get rich --- you can make a good living in good times but --- too many have jumped in thinking that it was an easy way to make a lot of money
3) As suggested, read as many posts here as possible
4) Watch CNBC and CNN for information on the economy
5) If you sign up with signing services DO NOT pay to register and DO NOT sign a non-compete agreement
6) Be careful to do your job well --- making mistakes on signings can kill your business
7) Choose the right business organization --- we are a limited liability company --- but, I am not an attorney and cannot advise you. Google LLC or, better yet, get a Nolo Press book that discusses sol proprietorships, partnerships, LLC's, and corporations
8) Use quickbooks pro, hire a good bookkeeper or accountant and be diligent about your bookkeeping including your signing agent log
9) Do not quit your day job

Reply by Todd/OH on 10/2/07 2:19pm
Msg #214287

DON'T quit your day job !! n/m

Reply by CJ on 10/2/07 4:20pm
Msg #214315

For starters: read the posts about the bad checks today.

Loan companies are going out of business, signing services are shutting down without warning, and without paying back invoices, and companies that have been reliable for years are bouncing checks. And all of us experieinced notaries with established clientele and connections are sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring.

Technically, we can't even help ourselves becuase the overall loan situation is beyond our control.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.